Home Learning Course Suggestions Please !! (1 Viewer)

spazzer

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:08
Hi,
Can anyone suggest a good home learning course for a beginner that would contain Database,MySql and PHP.
I am going to have an operation soon and my work are going to possibly pay for a course for me to study whilst off sick !
I have completed a Dreamweaver CS3 course and would like to extend the knowledge into Database Design that would interact with my CS3 course.
Does anyone have any suggestions ?????????
Cheers,
Nick C

eddie21leeds

Local time
Yesterday, 17:08
My first thought would be lynda.com, They offer a vast range of DVD tutorials and i have found them to be excellent. You could even get two or three!! The other option that springs to mind is the open university. I am part way through the certificate in web applications, which is thoughroughly enjoyable!! there are six three month units @ about £180 each (you dont HAVE to do them all). You can study more than one at once but they stress that each one requires a commitment of at least 10 hours per week. I would try and avoid any others to be honest... i have seen ones that charge over £1000 for two week courses. In my opinion not worth the money. If you are motivated enough and can do a bit of research yourself then io would consider the dvd's. The advantage of the OU is that there are heavily moderated forums with tutors to guide you. Though i suppouse with the dvd's you could join a few php forums (internet.com, phpfreaks.com devshed.com) to name a few. Anyway, I hope this helps and good luck with the php (watch out for file permissions, absolute nightmare!!).
p.s. i would reccomend developing on a Linux machine if possible, windows throws up some annoying problems! try Fedora, which comes with apache, php and mysql pre-installed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom