Hope to contribute (1 Viewer)

cajulien

Local time
Today, 16:20
Hi, I was "forced" to learn Access development back in 1995 with Access 2.0.

Since then, other techs have come and gone, Access and Office Dev is the one constant throughout my career so far. I would have never predicted.

Looking forward to sharing Access and database knowledge folks!

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Welcome to the Forum!

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 20:20
Welcome. Which version(s) of Access are you using now?

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Looking forward to sharing Access and database knowledge folks!
Do you have a niche. Table design, SQL, vba, API, etc.?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:20
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

cajulien

Local time
Do you have a niche. Table design, SQL, vba, API, etc.?
Good question: I'd say I enjoy making useful UX's but I'm full-stack so I do it all...some things better than others obviously.
  • I can model anything with tables and relationships (i.e., ERDs),
  • I can do anything I want in SQL but Access doesn't do CTEs so I tone it down in there,
  • love VBA for the UX automation and world of Office functionality it opens up (I've made Outlook and Word objects from Access VBA) ,
  • APIs is perhaps where I'm weakest 'cause I've only been a consumer: I generally try to do everything in native Access...managing additional references is not something I like doing but sometimes necessary.
Hope this helps put context to my Access background.

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
I can do anything I want in SQL but Access doesn't do CTEs so I tone it down in there,
I have not seen anyone here that is a SQL expert. Most of us getting by. You may be able to provide a lot in that area. I have been on other forums where the SQL experts would just blow you away with what they can do. I am just a SQL hack, but usually can answer a few questions.

ebs17

Local time
Today, 21:20
SQL is easy. It starts much better with such a self-specification.

Jet-SQL in particular is easy because it is very clear due to the limited language. However, one would have to dare to leave the designer and leave his limits behind.

Welcome to the forum.

Eberhard

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Welcome to AWF.

cajulien

Local time
I have not seen anyone here that is a SQL expert. Most of us getting by. You may be able to provide a lot in that area. I have been on other forums where the SQL experts would just blow you away with what they can do. I am just a SQL hack, but usually can answer a few questions.
Started out doing strictly Access QBE queries but I taught undergrad Intro Databases and had a T-SQL contract so I got the chance to hone my SQL skils...but always more to learn. Happy to share given how much I've learned from these types of communities.

cajulien

Local time
SQL is easy. It starts much better with such a self-specification.

Jet-SQL in particular is easy because it is very clear due to the limited language. However, one would have to dare to leave the designer and leave his limits behind.

Welcome to the forum.

Eberhard
I generally agree...SQL is and should be easy.

I'm often torn between building a long fancy SQL string vs. using the clarity provided by the Access VBA recordset and its methods...I like a powerful SQL string but it's awful ugly in your code...the recordset object makes better looking code but I keep feeling I should use more pure SQL...because that's what "Data Pros" do. Such are the headaches of an obsessive programmer.

I get few chances to geek out Access, thanks for the opportunity.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:20
Welcome, cajulien. There are times when VBA is the better choice, times when the only way to go is SQL. Hopefully, here is where you might learn which time is which, if you had any doubts.

cajulien

Local time
Welcome, cajulien. There are times when VBA is the better choice, times when the only way to go is SQL. Hopefully, here is where you might learn which time is which, if you had any doubts.
That's usually the way of things, its all about appropriate use in the right context.
I appreciate the welcome, ty

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom