How do I logon as a different user? (1 Viewer)

fearoffours

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:03
So this seems like a stupid question even to me, and yet here I am asking it...

I've just spent some time beginning to secure my database. Using the User Groups and Accounts dialoge, I created a new account for myself, added it to the Admin group, added a few other user groups with varying permissions, and added a few other users to those groups. I did not set any passwords, expecting to do this only once I was sure about the security levels.

My last step, after verifying that my own suer account had access to the admin group, was to remove the admin account from the admin account from the admin group.

As expected, I then found my actions restricted as I was logged in as Admin.

I closed the database and reopened it, expecting access to natively provide me with a logon screen now that I had added extra users and groups. But no, it logged me on as Admin again.
How do I log into the database with my own user account which has full privileges?

Last edited:

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:03
I closed the database and reopened it, expecting access to natively provide me with a logon screen now that I had added extra users and groups. But no, it logged me on as Admin again.

Are you saying that you opened it through a shortcut, or you just directly opened your database? If you can just click on it and it opens, then it is not secured. It is still opening using the system.mdw. If you are opening it with a shortcut, just change the user switch in the shortcut target.

fearoffours

Registered User.
Local time
I can open it directly yes, without a shortcut.
The database is not secure, but I cannot change user levels whilst logged on as admin, because I have removed those privileges.

How would I add the user switch to a shortcut I tried \user martin, but still was logged on as an admin.

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:03
Add: /user (your user name) to the target - you have the slash going the wrong direction.

fearoffours

Registered User.
Local time
hmmm still not working... My target reads:
X:\Path\to\db\db.mdb /user myuser

TLEnder

Local time
you wont get a login prompt until you set a password on the admin account. Then you will be able to login as a different user via the prompt!

fearoffours

Registered User.
Local time
Sorry for late response to this thread, but thanks TLender, that did the trick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom