How much download / upload (1 Viewer)

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Today, 18:47
I have been tasked with updating files from my main office db. from home.
Every time I just open the db does that use some of my 12gb, If I just go from one view and sort on another criteria does that use some of my 12G. Is there anyway for me to find out how much I am using each time. I am on wireless Verizon.

Ranman256

Local time
What does 12Gig have to do with anything? Do you mean your phone has a 12G data limit?
Access does not. So, if you are using a db over a phone, you will need an unlimited phone plan, or get a landline modem.

Design by Sue

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:47
Yes, I would imagine it is using data. Way to check is look at your settings (on the iPhone it is in Cellular) and check your data usage. Then do some work on the database then check your data usage again. That should give you an idea of the impact of the data used by accessing the Access database. To avoid using data, use WIFI instead. (Turn off the cellular data if you are concerned that WIFI will not be used.)

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
I would expect them to take that charge if they expect you to use your personal data or provide you a phone.

I love Sprint. I have unlimited data with no speed caps. :D

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:47
I'm with Vassago - if the business wants you to use your personal resources to do job X, get a strict account of it and sent them the bill the first time. If they don't pay it, then the next time they ask I would demand an alternate method of doing it. Or tell them that you will do it via CD/DVD and "sneaker-net." And if they can't accept that, you have found yourself a really bad business who engages in a really bad business model.

Oh... you don't say if you are hourly, salaried, exempt, or contractor. But if you are charging by the hour, then charge them for the time spent at home, too. I can't speak for your situation, but in MY situation (as a government contractor) it is actually a FELONY on their part if I have to work uncompensated hours.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
I'm with Vassago - if the business wants you to use your personal resources to do job X, get a strict account of it and sent them the bill the first time. If they don't pay it, then the next time they ask I would demand an alternate method of doing it. Or tell them that you will do it via CD/DVD and "sneaker-net." And if they can't accept that, you have found yourself a really bad business who engages in a really bad business model.

Oh... you don't say if you are hourly, salaried, exempt, or contractor. But if you are charging by the hour, then charge them for the time spent at home, too. I can't speak for your situation, but in MY situation (as a government contractor) it is actually a FELONY on their part if I have to work uncompensated hours.

I am a volunteer, and I work for a non-profit para-church organisation.
My income comes from donations from churches. Some on a monthly bases, some from a honorarium.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Even volunteers are eligible small stipends, I would think.

More then just a little. I often get lodging and meals, through out the year. First two weeks in Feb it will be taken care of for me in Tampa, FL. Dec. I had a week in Dayton, TN lodging and meals. My correspondence each month is paid for. Available bulk mailing no charge, but I don't often use it. There just isn't any money in the budget this year for outside WiFi. If I read the record correctly I think they are paying about $100.00 a month for hosting. I have other option however. As I type this I am at my home church using there router. I rather be at home were I am more comfortable. I type better in the nude. :) The only reason I took this additional chore is that I am one of the very few out of 150 people that know Access. Another one of our guys that is very good in Access lives in OR, so he can't make it very often to the main office in Dayton, TN.
Right now my mouth is watering as I would like to set up the same hosting service for my personal db so that my wife could do the data entry at the rehab hospital and I could access it while on the road, but
$100.00 a month for a non-essential is not in my budget. I have been trying to get a hold of the hosting company to see if I could piggy-back over the boards subscription at a lower rate. BTW there host is database mart. Anybody know anything good or bad about them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom