Question How to control logins to access (1 Viewer)

dewsbury

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:08
I am doing work for a customer with a network.

I had never set up logins for access before but found it very straight forward. (Tools-->Security-->User and Group Accounts).

However;

I set the users up on my PC and everything was fine.
(I.e. logins & passwords worked on my PC).
But when I went to the users PC the login was not required.
They just logged straight into the application.

What is going on here??

maxmangion

AWF VIP
Local time
it seems you do not have the mdw file on the client pc.

dewsbury

Registered User.
Local time
I take it that the mdw contains the security info.

Presumably, this would be better stored on a network drive??

Also, it appears that the logins apply to all databases and not just the one being worked on.

(I have no control over the network as a whole.)

statsman

Local time
Yesterday, 21:08
To expand on max's response...
When you set up your user/group security using the wizard, you are asked if you wish to use the default .mdw file (system.mdw) or do you wish to create a new file.
You should elect to create a new file and save it in the same folder as your database.
It sounds as though you used the default which means that the database is only secured on your personal computer and not on the network.

maxmangion

AWF VIP
Local time
that's a very useful link Banana, i remember myself reading that pdf long time ago

Read it, like it, love it, and read again!

Make sure you read it more than once, so that you don't end up locking yourself out from all of your databases.

Banana

split with a cherry atop.
Local time
Yesterday, 18:08
Yes, it was the only guide that actually made sense. There's so many but none as clear as that one. :)

dewsbury

Registered User.
Local time
To expand on max's response...
When you set up your user/group security using the wizard, you are asked if you wish to use the default .mdw file (system.mdw) or do you wish to create a new file.
You should elect to create a new file and save it in the same folder as your database.
It sounds as though you used the default which means that the database is only secured on your personal computer and not on the network.

Thanks statsman.

Now I understand!

dewsbury

Registered User.
Local time
Can I rectify the situation by moving the mdw file into the same directory as the database. Or can I re-configure the security details via the wizard??

Banana

split with a cherry atop.
Local time
I would strongly recommend that you *not* use wizard.

Did you even read the PDF I linked to? It'll also explain how to handle the mdw as well.

Sum Guy

Registered User.
Local time
Dewsbury:
Listen to Banana. He knows. As stated by max, the link he has offered you is probably the best guide around for security.

I don't believe you can change the .mdw once the security is installed. Your best bet is to download the guide and read it. Then start again on a copy of the unsecured database.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom