how to distribute ms access database to work in real time? (2 Viewers)

jai kushwaha

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:48
hello friends i am totally new to ms access i am making a database. now can anyone tell me that how i can distribute my database to many computer to work in real time on same database. can anyone give me the step by step instruction that how i can distribute my database and what things i need to distribute the database? in future if i want to make changes in database is it possible if yes then how please help me i want guidance.

Thank to all in advanced...

Ranman256

Local time
Today, 13:18
You must split the db into 2. Frontend (app) and backend (tables).
The backend goes on the server, the FE can be emailed to users. Each MUST have their own copy, on their PC or own server folder.

Use full UNC folder paths, do not use paths with drive letters since not all users use the same map. UNC: \\server\folder\folder\be.accdb

Open a folder with the full UNC path.
Put the un split db in this folder, then in access menu,tools, click split db.
Now you have the 2 DBS. Remove the FE and deliver to users.

If you already have it split, be sure to link all tables to the UNC paths.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:18
Further to Ranmans comments

Each user must have a licence for a full version of Access and ideally they will all have the same version (2007/10 whatever and the same 'bit' 32 or 64).

Alternatively users can use what is called a Runtime licence which is free, however this means these users will not have access to the access window (e.g. the ribbon, navigation window, dropdown menus etc) so you would need to write your own versions.

jai kushwaha

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:48
thanks friends I know it is a silly question but I am totally new for this so I want to ask if I have SQL server installed on my system then will I need to by a server or anything else to launch back end database on server??

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Today, 11:18
A server is needed.
However, with more experience the Cloud version of Azure SQL Server can be used.

My preference is to distribute MS Access Applications using Citrix.
It reduces the need for end users to have Access installed.
It works on most any PC including Apple tablets.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 04:18
tha if I have SQL server installed on my system then will I need to by a server or anything else to launch back end database on server??

SQL Server will run on an ordinary PC but it will perform better on a dedicated machine if you have a busy database.

Note there is a free version with performance limits that is still a lot better than an Access back end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom