How to set MMM-YY is access table (1 Viewer)

JMUDALIA

Local time
Today, 12:07
Hi,

I am new to access and working in MS Access 2003.. I have a problem which I am not able to fix .. I am trying to get MMM-YY type of date in a Table with date format. How do I custom mask the date format.. can any one help me pls..

Beetle

Duly Registered Boozer
Local time
Today, 13:07
You can do this with the Format function;

Format([DateField], "mmm-yy")

but you would do this with an expression in a query field or in a control (like a text box) on a form, not in the table itself. Data entry and display is done with queries, forms and reports. You (or your users) should not be working directly in the tables.

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Tomorrow, 05:07
Hi,

I am new to access and working in MS Access 2003.. I have a problem which I am not able to fix .. I am trying to get MMM-YY type of date in a Table with date format. How do I custom mask the date format.. can any one help me pls..

This is not totally clear. Do you want to save as mmm yy into a Table or do you want to display the contents of a table as mmm yy

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:07
Only valid dates can be stored in a field defined as type Date. MMM-YY is not valid. If all you have is the month and year, use the first as a default for day.

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Tomorrow, 05:07
MS Access stores Dates as a strange Number Format. The Number is made up of two parts. The Whole Number and the Decimal. The Whole Number can be Positive or Negative dependining on the sign + or - and the Decimal is always Positive.

0.00 is 30th December 1899.
0.25 is 06:00 AM 30th December 1899 and so is -0.25
Every day or part day forward from 30th December 1899 is a Positive number represented by the Whole Number as Days and the Decimal as Hours Minutes Seconds.

January 2000 is not a date and cannot be stored in a Date Field.

If you Format a Control on a FORM as "MMM-YY" and enter Jan 2000 then the table will store the Number Equilivant of 01/01/2000.

I would advise not to format at the Table level. Do your Formating In Forms and Reports.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom