I just don't get it ??? (1 Viewer)

Groundrush

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:05
My workplace is currently going through a restructure & it's been decided that most of our job titles are to be changed because of the fear of being seconded by "others" if it's found that the "others" claim to do what we do.

Wanting a better job title anyway I was keen to finally get one that best fits what I do as "ICT Administrator" was not suitable especially when we have a joint venture company that manages our IT needs. I was then offered "Senior Administration Officer" :confused:

Explaining that this was not suitable as we already have administration officers who are not involved in the database & reporting work that I am manage.

Looking for something more suitable I created this thread & got some handy suggestions
http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=1065596#post1065596

I found that "Data analyst" matched what I did the best & put my proposal in requesting a more suitable name but that was quickly rejected & I was offered "Assistant Project Manager" instead :confused:

The reason for this was that it may be claimed the IT dept has Data Analysts & I should be called something that is not related to IT.

I am not happy with this & find flaws in this as IT do also have Project Managers :confused:

I feel it's wrong for people to get job titles that do not reflect what they actually do just to protect their position. Doing this causes less opportunities for people actually trained in these jobs but will never get these posts because of the protected staff members.

It appears that we can fool everyone by keeping our jobs by simply calling us something else that camouflages what we do.

I find work colleagues becoming hypocrites when in the past they complained about staff getting better job titles just to justify their salary which then caused job roles being taken off others just to create these positions preventing them from progressing any further.

Am I just too honest & niave? Should I just accept these changes & then claim to be A project manager even though I have no idea of what they do?

All I want is to be recognised for what I do & get the proper training to progress further :(

pono1

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:05
Sounds like a rough one, this transition at your work. But I answer "probably" to your first question (this coming from a pretty stubborn person who would also probably resist this goofiness). Consider going with the flow, absurd as it is, and the PM title...or a Business Process Analyst title if they accept it.

My guess is that the title changes will not fool people as much as befuddle them--at least in the short term--and stall consolidation.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Yesterday, 23:05
What you do WOULD actually be considered part of IT in most companies. Any programming, including report programming, is usually considered part of it. I know my position is part of IT as an Analytics Analyst. Yes, that's my actual position. lol

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
I'd go for project manager

I prefer vanilla style titles.

I think this sort of rebranding is largely responsible for devaluing the relevance of titles and now I somewhat ignore them preferring to learn a bit about thier work and judge them on their own merits. Unfortunately I work in an organisation where titles do not always have a bearing on competency.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Lightwave
I agree
Project managers manage projects. Seemple!!
It usually involves managing staff but doesn't have to.

Groundrush
As you were offered Assistant Project Manager can we assume that you have a project manager over you, if not then it makes no sense, but hey when did organisations ever make complete sense.

Brian

Groundrush

Registered User.
Local time
Lightwave
I agree
Project managers manage projects. Seemple!!
It usually involves managing staff but doesn't have to.

Groundrush
As you were offered Assistant Project Manager can we assume that you have a project manager over you, if not then it makes no sense, but hey when did organisations ever make complete sense.

Brian

This is where it gets silly & I will answer your question after I explain a little more.

I was called ICT Administrator & one of my tasks was to look after the corporate database (non Access) & whatever that system could not do I did on Access.

Years went by & powers at be decided to change the new corporate system to a one for all & discontinue using Access altogether

In the meantime I was asked to create a another access database to use as a tempory one until this new system was completed - 4 years on we are still waiting for this new system to do what we need it do to.
It now turns out that my database suits us better than this new system but will never be allowed to use it when this other system rolls out, if ever.

Anyway..... I am not that involved in this new system much anymore but supposed to be really as I was told I would look after it once it was completed.

The person that is currently looking after & taking his time about it is a Projects Manager, he was given this
task because they could not find any projects for him to manage that he is trained to do - nothing to do with IT as his projects were actually Building repairs & maintenance related...:confused:

He is supposed to move on after this & manage other projects whatever they may be leaving me to look after this system.

My request of being called "Data Analyst" was rejected because of the fear of being seconded by the IT section so the "Assistant Projects manager" was suggested probably because of the current project manager.

This is the funny bit.....

It does appear that I would be his assistant but actually I am not his at all
I can't be called "Project Manager" because he is on a higher pay scale than me so by calling me assistant it seems to justify this.....not that I'm trying to get more money or anything.

Now seeing as my original title change was going to be "Senior administration Office but now may change to "Assistant Project manager" the Principle Administration officer is the person I supposedly report to & will continue despite my title change :D

Funny how for 4 years I used to be his team leader, but because he was paid more they changed his job title to justify his salary then took a few of my duties away to give to him :eek:

This is one of the reasons why I just don't get it

We are supposed to be going through job evaluations to justify our salaries
And I think this type of job camouflage is one of the reasons why Job evaluations are taking place & also possibly why the government is trying to cut jobs in the public sector.

I am grateful that I have this job & we have already had 5 voluntary redundancies & there may be more & even compulsory ones so hopefully I will be OK.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
in the public sector.

Why didn't you say you were in the public sector?
How do you expect any commonsense there? :)

I'd keep my head down and go with the flow in the current situation. When the large organisation I worked for had a cull in 1992 it was those of us who got the work done but were prepared to stand up and be counted that went, don't you know that senior managers like an easy unchallenged life.

Brian

stopher

AWF VIP
Local time
Imho...

Without knowing your responsibilities it would be difficult to say what your job title should be. You mention that “Data Analyst” best fits but this title can mean different things to different businesses. For instance I have a Business Analyst working for me and neither that person nor I work in IT. This person is responsible for gathering data from our systems and summarising to provide some meaningful information that managerial decisions can be based on. The bulk of this is done using Access.

As Doc Man eluded, in the other thread, I wouldn’t get too hung up about your job title. If you are happy with your responsibilities, salary, t&c’s etc and you are able to achieve your goals outside of work, then what difference is your title, or anyone else’s going to make to that?

As an employer, whenever I look at CV’s I only give the job title a fleeting glance (because of all the flowery job titles). What I’m really interested in is what a candidate’s responsibilities are and what they have achieved.

If you fear that your job title will make you invisible, there are people with very grand titles who are invisible. But other people with strange titles who you really know are there. The point is it is really down to the individual. If you want people to be aware of what you do then make people aware with your actions, not by your job title. When my Business Analyst joined my team, I made her go out and tell everyone in the business what she did. She has gained a high degree of kudos and everyone knows what she does.

Chris

Groundrush

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks guys

I feel a little better about it now & hope I don't turn out to be a hypocrite when I go with the flow & accept whatever title is finalised.

On a lighter note.

Trying to make a point I jokingly suggested being called "Jnr Assistant Operations Manager"

In doing so I then had to agree to going out to the shops this morning & get the daily supply of office milk.

Reason being that manager who is involved in all this job title change is referred to as the "Operations manager" The "Assistant Operations Manager" who for no particular reason normally gets the milk on the way in to work was not in today

So because I was making a point suggestiong to be the third from the top I ended up having to get the milk.:D

I think I now would rather stick with whatever they give me :D

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Yesterday, 23:05
Project manager will also look better on a resume as you'll look like you have management experience. I would probably choose that as well. :D

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
If you're managing projects and not helping anyone there is really no need for you to assist be junior anyone. But if PM really offends people how's about IT support.

Its pretty vanilla and probably more descriptive than PM.

I've always had a soft spot for the term Database Administrator.

Its punchy and direct and seems to be one of the few titles that actually half way describes what someone does.

Course you will probably still be referred to as the lad in IT that parachutes.

Last edited:

Groundrush

Registered User.
Local time
If you're managing projects and not helping anyone there is really no need for you to assist be junior anyone. But if PM really offends people how's about IT support.

Its pretty vanilla and probably more descriptive than PM.

I've always had a soft spot for the term Database Administrator.

Its punchy and direct and seems to be one of the few titles that actually half way describes what someone does.

Course you will probably still be referred to as the lad in IT that parachutes.

Do I know you? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom