I'm amazed! (1 Viewer)

oleronesoftwares

Passionate Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 16:05
You may ask but it is not something I care to talk about. Going to church does not a Christian make.
Yes, but a Christian will be eager to fellowship with other Christians, not necessarily in a conventional church building.

oleronesoftwares

Passionate Learner
Local time
My mother-in-law was a church-going Catholic but I would never call her a Christian.
She might or might not be a Christian, I guess it's because of her behavior, but we are all not perfect and flaws exist in our characters.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Yesterday, 19:05
Also,if he truly liked Christ, he would have become a Christian(though i don't know if he did?)
Not necessarily. Other religions acknowledge that there was a PERSON named Jesus "the" Christ, but he was a mere mortal and a prophet. Christians have to accept that he was God in human form and thus a divine spirit. Quite possible to like someone and not worship him.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 18:05
Not necessarily. Other religions acknowledge that there was a PERSON named Jesus "the" Christ, but he was a mere mortal and a prophet. Christians have to accept that he was God in human form and thus a divine spirit. Quite possible to like someone and not worship him.

For example, Muslims recognize Jesus as a teacher and even as a prophet, but not divine.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Christianity, the religion, has never been the issue, although many have been unable or unwilling to separate Jesus from the religion that's about Him.

But Jesus made it all about Him, and Him alone, in that simple two-word invitation He extended over and over again, "Follow Me."

Jesus never said "follow My religion" or "follow My followers." He didn't say "follow My rules." He didn't say, "follow My leaders."

The only reason to turn away from Jesus is if you've got a problem with Jesus.

oleronesoftwares

Passionate Learner
Local time
Journalist interviewing a politician. "Of all the lies you've told, what is your favorite one?". Polictician: "I don't lie". Journalist: "That's on the top of my list too"
I think we should first define what a Lie is, some times politicians are portraying what they believe to be true. A politician in Nigeria once said "i am not corrupt, and I don't like money" in the interview he could pass as a saint. The link below is the interview, he could have convinced even the best of judges.

oleronesoftwares

Passionate Learner
Local time
You are correct in that you can like someone but not worship him.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 18:05
@Harrybrigham - I am an atheist as well, but as I live in a culture with religious overtones everywhere (including throughout its history), it is important to understand the beliefs that surround me. Further, I was a Methodist until I wasn't a believer any more (about age 35) when I went through a family crisis and did what everyone says to not do... I read the Bible with a more critical eye to see what it actually said.

We cannot forget that many of the American colonies were found based on religious freedom rather than simple expansion of property holdings. Roger Williams of the Providence colony and William Penn of Pennsylvania are two of literally dozens of cases where the "New World colony" was founded to escape the Anglican church or the Catholic church, both of which (at the time) were incredibly overbearing. The many schisms forming in Europe at the time lead to LOTS of interest in places where people could follow their religion without some other group sitting over their shoulders like vultures waiting for a piece of dead meat. Therefore, it is no surprise to find many people with deeply held religious beliefs, having gotten them from generations of family who passed down those traditions.

Just to be clear, the Cajuns of south Louisiana are mostly Catholic but that wasn't a driving force for them being here. They left Canada for political reasons when Napoleon sold Canada to England. According to the late Justin Wilson, the Acadians who left for Louisiana in the 1730s were not willing to swear allegiance to the King of England; they would only swear AT him. Which is probably a deciding factor in why the Cajuns mobilized with President Jackson in the Battle of New Orleans in 1815. For once, it was a non-religious reason to go to war.

KitaYama

Local time
Today, 08:05
When it comes to religion (and politic) the main problem is one tries to prove he's right and the other side is wrong.
Nobody can accept my ideology is mine and let the other side believe in has his/hers. Normally most people can't understand it's not math. So the possibility of being right or wrong is the same for both sides.
No matter you are an atheist or a believer, as long as you want to force your idea on the opposite side or try to prove God exists or not, or insist on you are correct and the other party is wrong, you are a part of the problem.

You are an athirst? A believer? Great. Just don't try or ask me to change my mind. And I promise. I won't try to prove you are on the wrong side of the fence.

Just my 2 cent.

Edit : After posting and reading it a second time, I felt that was harsh. I didn't mean to be rude. My apologies.

Last edited:

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Atheists tend to convert in their deathbed. Better nearly late than never

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom