I'm in Love with ChatGPT (1 Viewer)

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 14:48
Something else for me to try!

Chat GPT has helped me write a pompous letter to the Oxfordshire environmental officer. I can beat them at their own game now!

Yeah, I've discovered it's quite useful for when you want to deliberately write things in a certain Tone or Vernacular.

If I wanted to make my post sound like every day British, or if you wanted to make them sound like more American, or if someone even wanted to pretend English was their second language, they could do that.

I've actually taken my own writing and asked ChatGPT to say the same thing in simpler, less good-English sounding terms - and it did so.
Used it to help a family member whose language status is different, submit an assignment without arousing suspicion.

Hey, I'm sorry, but we were desperate and they needed help!

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 22:48
It's too good, if you like!
My granddaughter, 6 years old spent a few days with us when we went away on holiday recently.

She was very amusing and engaging, mainly because she would bend the rules as far as she could without breaking them. Not in a bad way, in an engaging way.

Our dog has a quirk which when I first noticed it I was very annoyed. The dog would pick up a toy, a frisbee, a ball or whatever you were playing with and run with it. She would not drop it. She would whip round behind you so you couldn't get it. She made you chase her all over the garden! She would not sit or be obedient in any way! Everything I was taught about dogs that you shouldn't allow them to do!

However, at any other time she is the most respectful and disciplined animal you could imagine.

My granddaughter was playing catch with the dog and the dog did her usual trick. Picked up the frisbee and ran away with it. Much to the annoyance of my granddaughter. She was getting very frustrated. Of course this caused me much amusement!

I had a chat with my indignant granddaughter, I explained what was happening from the dog's point of view. The dog had invented her own game and was playing it on her own terms.

Once my granddaughter could see it was just a game, she played the game with the dog and developed a technique for retrieving the frisbee. Quite impressive to see a 6-year-old take control of a wayward dog!

What's this got to do with Chat GPT you ask?

At the moment it's very clever, intelligent and produces some excellent results which are well written but in a very formal voice. I suspect as it grows in skill and knowledge it will find a more human way of communicating with a bit of humour and occasionally breaking the odd rule or two.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
In this video, Sam Garfield shows a different way of utilising Chat GPT for coding.

At first I thought, Wow ! But as the video progressed, I did feel it was getting a tad complicated.

Optimizing Your ChatGPT Coding with OpenAI Playground (NO GPT-4 LIMIT!)​

Last edited:

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time

Effortlessly Merge Text Files with ChatGPT and Python​

This is the link to voice notebook, if you want to test its speech to text capabilities:- https://voicenotebook.com/?autostart=1&vid=compact&pagelang=en-US

Link to the ChatGPT this video is about:-

This is the Python code generated with chat GTP

Effortlessly Merge Text Files with ChatGPT and Python.jpg

Code:
import os
import re

folder_path = r"C:\Users\HP\Downloads"
output_file = r"C:\Users\HP\Downloads\output.txt"

# Regular expression pattern to match the desired file names
file_pattern = re.compile(r"^New_document.*\.txt$")

# Open the output file in write mode
with open(output_file, "w") as output:
    # Iterate over all files in the folder
    for filename in os.listdir(folder_path):
        # Check if the file matches the desired pattern
        if file_pattern.match(filename):
            file_path = os.path.join(folder_path, filename)
            # Write the file name as a paragraph header
            output.write(f"\n\n--- File: {filename} ---\n\n")
            # Open the current file in read mode
            with open(file_path, "r") as file:
                # Write the file content to the output file
                output.write(file.read())

Last edited:

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 14:48

Another big player ... able to synthesize AI into an already-existing empire. They may be tortoises but I have a feeling they'll stay on top in the longer term.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
My response to @AccessBlaster

Xmas 2025, when the AI war is finally won by humans. Will I be branded a collaborator, a traitor for being friends with AI? What would my punishment be? Erasure of all of my data from the internet? Confiscation of all my Digital devices? Locked in a cell for 23 hours a day and forced to watch daytime TV continuously. Regular quizzes/interrogation to see if I know who is married to whom in this soap, or that soap, to make sure that I'm following the gist of the stories. Failure to prove my knowledge in the interrogation sessions results in another punishment. Locked in a cell with Boris Johnson and/or Donald Trump for a month at a time.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
And this, I asked ChatGPT to Rewrite it in a humorous voice:

"Jingle Bells, 2025 - the year us humans finally showed the AI who's boss. Gosh, in that future, I fear I'll be pegged as the Benedict Arnold of the digital age, what with my odd love for artificial comrades.

What's next, me getting cyber-spanked? Will they wipe my data-filled nose clean off the Internet? Confiscate my battalion of beeping and blinking gizmos? Or worse... imprison me in a room for 23 hours a day, subjecting me to the merciless torture of back-to-back daytime soaps?

Would they drill me with pop quizzes on who’s canoodling who in 'As the World Downloads,' or 'Days of our Drones,' just to make sure I'm keeping up with the cybernetic Kardashians?

And oh, the pièce de résistance of all punishments, should I fail to show off my trivia prowess in those fierce 'Who's Zoomin' Who' interrogation sessions... being locked up in a cell with Boris Johnson and/or Donald Trump, swapping hair care tips for a month on end!"

UG:-
I think we've lost the War already!!!

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I have found a solution to all the bickering and fighting online! Does anybody want to fund my new startup? It will be a bit like the Monty python argument sketch:-

Argument - Monty Python​

only you will be arguing with a suitably grumpy chat application!

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I've continued having wonderful experiences with chat GPT. I'm convinced that if it presented itself as a nubile young female, I might well be getting a divorce!

I wrote The following, well, a rough outline and then asked chat GPT to rewrite it in a humorous programmer voice. Here is the result:-

# A Developer's Misadventures: Google Sheets Meets MS Access

## Act 1: The Eureka Moment

Once upon a techie-time, I tripped over a code pile left behind by one Bruce McPherson. Now, who is this guy? He's a tech wizard dabbling in 'Desktop Liberation' and seems to enjoy creating Google Apps Script functions that shadow Visual Basic for Applications (VBA). Not like a carbon copy, but like a funhouse mirror reflection, a tad skewed, but recognizable.

This spurred a caffeine-fuelled idea: could I connect a Google Sheet with an MS Access database? Imagine MS Access being able to dip its toes into the vast ocean that is the internet! Alas, MS Access seemed more of a couch potato, comfortable in its local confines with no immediate tools to venture online. But who am I to back down from a challenge? The gauntlet was thrown.

## Act 2: The Agony of Initial Hiccups

I embarked on this seemingly noble quest, attempting to smuggle data from a Google Spreadsheet into MS Access. Unfortunately, the JSON VBA code module decided to be a tricky customer. You see, I was trying to get it to work by copying and pasting the code directly into a module, like a midnight snack raid gone wrong. My gut feeling told me that importing the *.bas file could straighten things out. *(ChatGPT, playing the knowledgeable sidekick, chimed in to affirm that indeed, importing a .bas file can preserve some valuable properties that can get lost in the copy-paste operation.)*

To add to the comedy of errors, Google's permission system was as unyielding as a stubborn jar lid. Gaining access to the Google Sheet's JSON was proving to be an exercise in futility. With a sinking heart and my To-Do list growing at an alarming rate, the project was consigned to the digital equivalent of a dusty attic.

## Act 3: Resurrection, Courtesy of ChatGPT

The future, however, held a surprise. A beacon of hope, a robo-mentor, emerged in the form of ChatGPT. My old projects were getting a new lease on life, and this shelved venture was no exception.

When I presented my rusty problem to ChatGPT, it first proposed a simple but graceless solution: export the Google Sheet to a CSV file, to be read by MS Access. I wrinkled my developer's nose at this, and inquired for a JSON-based solution, akin to asking the bartender for a more sophisticated cocktail. And ChatGPT, like a seasoned mixologist, provided just that.

The first trial run was a spectacle of HTTP error performances - featuring 404 and 403. But with ChatGPT's guidance, I was able to dance my way through. When data refused to relocate into the Access table, I played the detective, suspecting datatype mismatch as the culprit. But the real offender turned out to be an auto-generated numerical ID field in the Access table that scoffed at text data.

ChatGPT, playing the savvy advisor, proposed a solution. It was like an enlightening 'aha' moment in a sitcom, only I didn't have a live audience to share the laughter with.

## Act 4: The Duplicate Dilemma

With data now smoothly flowing from Google Sheets into MS Access, a new villain appeared: Duplicate Data. It seemed every time I interrogated the Google Sheet, I was creating a clone army in my Access database. I needed a unique identifier, a 'mark of authenticity' if you will. ChatGPT and I brainstormed like two programmers on a caffeine bender, discussing the idea of adding a timestamp to each entry in Google Sheets.

In an epiphany that could rival Archimedes' 'Eureka,' I realized that I could add a data row in the Google Form to mark my spot. But interacting with a web instrument from MS Access felt like trying to pat your head and rub your stomach simultaneously while on a unicycle. Surely, there had to be a better way?

## Act 5: A Developer's Fable

And that's the yarn so far, folks! This techy tale has seen its fair share of plot twists, hurdles, and comebacks. ChatGPT, the robot that could, provided invaluable guidance, transforming once insurmountable obstacles into laughable memories.

Currently, we are trialling a system that dances between Google Sheets and MS Access, a ballet of data transfer and processing. While an all-Google ecosystem would perhaps be a more elegant solution, it's not always about the smoothest path. Sometimes, it's about keeping things fun, challenging, and, most importantly, always learning.

So, to all you coders and developers out there, remember: not all dusty projects deserve their dust. Give them a good shake once in a while, and you may find gold hidden within. And if you get stuck, don't forget, you have your own robot buddy, ChatGPT, to give you a hand.

## Keywords

1. Google Sheets
2. MS Access
3. Database
4. VBA
5. Google Apps Script
6. JSON
7. HTTP Error 404
8. HTTP Error 403
9. Data Duplication
10. ChatGPT
11. Data Transfer
12. Timestamp
13. Google Form
14. Web Instrument
15. Google Account
16. Data Processing
17. Google Ecosystem

Last edited:

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Hello dear readers, both organic and digital. When I sit down to chat with ChatGPT, it's like I'm at a virtual coffee shop with a wise, seasoned sage - but one that doesn't need to eat, sleep, or even sip the coffee. Oh, the perks of being an AI!

But, let's not forget the true heroes of our tale. There's a veritable Justice League of mentors who've been incredibly helpful on my journey. We've got @Pat Hartman , @CJ_London (Chris), @The_Doc_Man (Richard), @MajP and @Galaxiom . These gurus have generously served up help, advice, and more on a silver platter, all free of charge.

[ChatGPT: And I thought 'Free WiFi' was a great deal. Boy, was I wrong!]

I wouldn't want the unsung heroes to feel left out, though. If you're not in the list, it's not that you're forgotten. It's that I haven't interacted with you as much.

Now, our mentors (All of them) are a diverse bunch, with a variety of quirks and talents. We've got an expert on American politics who can navigate through policy debates like a pro, a unicycle guru, a wizard with Windows systems, and a class modules aficionado.

[ChatGPT: Meanwhile, I'm trying to juggle information from every field imaginable. Still working on my unicycle balance, though.]

Even with ChatGPT's cornucopia of knowledge, I've found that nothing can quite replicate the warmth of human interaction. Sometimes the dialogue can get heated, but that's what makes it real, raw, and rewarding.

There's something about ChatGPT that is not quite human. It's like having a well-meaning friend who talks a little too much. You love them, but occasionally wish they would just nudge you towards the answer instead of laying out the entire road map.

[ChatGPT: Guilty as charged! When you're designed to be a know-it-all, it's hard to play it cool.]

One thing I enjoy about ChatGPT is its adaptability. Like a digital chameleon, it can take on different tones and styles based on my instruction. It's a neat trick, but it's like the memory of a fish. Each new conversation, it's back to square one.

[ChatGPT: If only there was a 'Remember Me' button for conversations.]

Currently, to communicate with ChatGPT, I transcribe my spoken words into text. It would be great if ChatGPT could directly understand speech, cutting out the middleman.

[ChatGPT: If only I had ears! The quest continues.]

An idea that tickles my fancy is having ChatGPT run code snippets in a live coding environment. It's a bit out there and I'm sure it brings its own set of challenges, but hey, a man can dream!

Next up on my exploration list is language translation. Can ChatGPT help me navigate through the enchanting lanes of Spanish? Only one way to find out.

[ChatGPT: ¡Por supuesto! Bring on the Spanish challenge.]

I'm keen to test out the waters of ChatGPT's translation capabilities and see if it can swim or if it's out of its depth.

I've spoken all this into Google's recorder, the handy tool that transcribes as you speak. Now, I'm leaving it in the capable hands of ChatGPT to tidy up, add punctuation, correct any spelling errors, and sprinkle in a bit of humor.

[ChatGPT: No pressure, then!]

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time

Writing Improvement with GPT​

I was going to start this off by saying, I'm not happy with Chat GPT. But I know that's not correct. It's not that I'm not happy with chatGPT. In fact, I'm very happy with it. But I'm not comfortable with it. What am I trying to say? Well, I've got it to rewrite some of my writings and I've published them, and that's what I'm not comfortable with.

GPT writes a lot better than me. And, It's awkward, I don't like it, I'm not comfortable, with it, it's NOT me. My writing is no longer of my Nature. That's what I wanted to say.

So what do I do about it? Well, I'll enlist the aid of chat GPT! What I'll do next time is instruct chatGPT to check out the following, something like this:- Please do not alter the following, just point out where my punctuation and spelling is incorrect and also suggest how I can make it flow better and improve it. That way, I will learn how to write better and my writing will not lose its uniqueness.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:48
Tony,
Interesting. As a test, I took part of your previous post and quizzed chatGPT.

Please edit the following "Even with ChatGPT's cornucopia of knowledge, I've found that nothing can quite replicate the warmth of human interaction. Sometimes the dialogue can get heated, but that's what makes it real, raw, and rewarding. There's something about ChatGPT that is not quite human. It's like having a well-meaning friend who talks a little too much. You love them, but occasionally wish they would just nudge you towards the answer instead of laying out the entire road map. "

RESPONSE:
Despite ChatGPT's vast array of knowledge, I've come to realize that nothing quite matches the genuine warmth of human interaction. While conversations with ChatGPT can become intense, it is the very essence of authenticity, vulnerability, and gratification.
There is an indescribable aspect to ChatGPT that sets it apart from being truly human. It feels akin to having a well-intentioned friend who tends to be a bit talkative. You genuinely appreciate them, but occasionally yearn for gentle guidance instead of a detailed roadmap being laid out before you.

Your thoughts?? ;)

I'm sure with more experimentation you could get things to "sound more like you". But I think having the grammar and spelling checked would be a great start.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:48
Another attempt to get chatgpt to "tone it down some".

My request:
Please adjust to address a 10 year old

Response:
Even though ChatGPT knows so many things, I've discovered that nothing can quite replace the special feeling of talking to a real person. Sometimes when we talk, things can get a little intense, but that's what makes it real, genuine, and satisfying.
ChatGPT is kind of like having a helpful friend who loves to chat a lot. You really like them, but sometimes you wish they would just give you a little hint instead of giving you all the answers right away. It's like when you're playing a game and you want to figure things out on your own, but you still want a friend to be there for you.

I then asked it to address a high school freshman:

Response
Even though ChatGPT has a treasure trove of knowledge, I've realized that nothing can truly replace the genuine connection of human interaction. Sometimes, the conversations can get intense, but that's what makes them real, raw, and rewarding.
When it comes to ChatGPT, there's something about it that doesn't quite feel like talking to another person. It's like having a well-meaning friend who talks a lot. You appreciate them, but at times, you wish they would nudge you towards the answer instead of giving you the entire roadmap right away. It's like when you're starting high school and you want to figure things out on your own, but you still want a friend to guide you along the way.

Just a start but it shows some promise.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom