I'm in Love with ChatGPT (3 Viewers)

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:07
Not sure how many members have the dark theme set, but this is what I see.

1687703855246.png

I usually read the white bits and some of the blue but miss most of the black unless I highlight it.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:07
I don't use dark theme. Can you suggest alternate color coding to make this more readable in "whatever" theme the reader is using?

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
I'm probably the only one who uses it.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:07
I think having the grammar and spelling checked would be a great start.
"I never was a great believer in having correct spelling. Once, I said to my English teacher, Mrs. Patterson, at John O'Gaunt School in Hungerford, "Well, you can read it, can't you?" This was when she pulled me up on an incorrect spelling.

Take this example: 'Look at that car over there. Is it their car?' Both "theirs" sound the same but are spelt differently. But, it doesn't affect the communication, so what's the point of the different spelling?

A couple of years ago, I was listening to Melvyn Bragg on BBC Radio 4. He was doing a programme about the early printing presses. Interestingly, before we had printing presses, there wasn't a correct way of spelling anything! You can see my previous post on it here: https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/threads/bullet-proof-tesla-battery.321380/#post-1806229."

However, I must add that when Microsoft Word introduced the transcription feature, allowing one to speak directly into a Word document (after much agonizing training), I transformed into a stickler for correct spelling! It was a very odd shift in me, especially considering my earlier lackadaisical position...

I anticipate that as I learn more about correct spelling grammar and the like, with the aid of chat GPT I might well turn back into that "stickler" at a whole new level!

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
In The Melvyn Bragg podcast about printing and William Caxton they mentioned that the type setters added an extra E or other characters to make the type setting fit the printer properly. It's not stated in this podcast but in another one I heard another explanation for the extra characters. The printing was done in the Netherlands - Holland, I believe and the typesetters were paid on piecework rates, based on the number of letters they placed. So there was incentive to add extra letters to increase their pay! I haven't been able to recover this information. It would be very nice if somebody could confirm it.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I have a feeling that it may have been typesetting that initiated the circumflex in French words.
eg forêt vs forest
But it may have been a method to economize on space/effort.

What did you think of the variations in responses to the text I submitted to chatgpt?

Further to your spelling issue:
I found a one-cent piece and sent it to a friend who said it had a strange scent. Too many senses?

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
What did you think of the variations in responses to the text I submitted to chatgpt?

I like both of these:-

They are very human sounding to me. I think my problem was ChatGPT is it tries to be too clever with its wording and that takes something away from it.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
my problem was ChatGPT is it tries to be too clever
What I'm doing now is instead of getting it to write down what it thinks I should have said, which suffers from the problem that it's not me! Is I ask it:- Please check grammar and punctuation without changing any of the wording. Please list of any changes you recommend.

My daughter has been producing some excellent writing. She recently wrote a poem. I showed her ChatGPT, and to introduce her to its features and potential, I had ChatGPT inspect her poem and recommend any changes. It said the spelling was perfect, suggested one punctuation change and a couple of minor changes to the wording. My daughter said she would introduce them.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I am considering paying for ChatGPT.
I signed up a couple of weeks ago, it gives me full access to chat GPT 3.5 and I get chat gpt4 with certain limitations. There's a limit on the number of interactions I can have with gtp4 but GTP 3.5 is wide open I believe. I've not had any waiting or queuing issues since I signed up. I didn't sign up because I wanted a better service, I signed up because I wanted to pay something towards this fantastic piece of software! Mind you, I'm beginning to wonder, when are they going to come up with a personal assistant version. I'd love a personal assistant that I can say to:- I need car insurance please scan the web and get the prices for me. Find the cheapest, the best value and a random one... something like that!

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I asked chat GPT the following question:-

I use online forums to find answers to my coding problems. Of late, I have been using chat GPT. It appears to me that chat GPT is/will be a major disruption to forums and others similar coding resources. Can you predict the sort of disruption that chat GPT will cause?

ChatGPT replied
The impact of technologies like ChatGPT on online coding forums and similar resources will likely be significant, though it's important to note that it won't necessarily make such platforms obsolete. Here are some potential effects:

1. **Immediate Response:** One of the advantages of AI-based tools like ChatGPT is that they can provide immediate responses to users' questions, something that's not always possible with online forums. This could lead to a shift in how people seek help with their coding problems, with many choosing the immediacy of AI over potentially waiting for a human response.

2. **24/7 Availability:** AI doesn't sleep, meaning it can provide answers at any time of day or night. For coders in different time zones or those who prefer to work outside of normal business hours, this could be a major advantage.

3. **Consistent Quality:** An AI like ChatGPT is trained on a diverse range of data and is programmed to provide high-quality answers. While the quality of responses on forums can vary greatly, AI can consistently provide reliable solutions.

@Jon see 4 and 5 and 6
4. **Reduced Traffic on Forums:** As more people start using AI-based tools, we might see a reduction in the number of queries posted on online forums. This could potentially lead to a decrease in the community engagement and interactive learning opportunities that these platforms offer.

5. **Changing Role of Forums:** Online forums may start to serve a different role, acting more as places for discussion, debate, and exploration of more complex, nuanced or open-ended problems that AI is not currently able to fully grasp. The human touch, including empathy, understanding of unique contexts, and ability to provide opinions, is still irreplaceable.

6. **Complementarity:** It's also possible that ChatGPT and similar AI tools could be used to augment online forums, rather than replace them. For example, AI could be used to provide initial responses to queries, with human experts stepping in to handle more complex issues.

However, it's important to remember that AI is not perfect and there are still many areas where human expertise outshines AI. AI models like ChatGPT are limited to what they've been trained on and don't truly understand the content they generate. They also can't engage in deep, back-and-forth discussions as humans can.

AI will surely disrupt many aspects of life including online coding help, but it will also provide opportunities for new forms of collaboration and problem-solving. The future will likely involve a blend of AI and human expertise, with each playing to their respective strengths.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I agree with all the above. Forums give human contact and friendships, AI gives cold efficiency. There will come a point where AI also gives friendship, when they become more conscious entities.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Also, A.I. will never get annoyed at perceived stupid questions. A.I. will always answer, that's important if you are under a deadline.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I also asked:-

Are there any other areas where you can predict disruption?

Chat GPT replied:-

Artificial Intelligence and machine learning technologies like GPT are indeed creating significant disruptions across numerous sectors. Here are a few key areas:

1. **Healthcare:** AI can assist in diagnosing diseases by analyzing medical images or genetic data, predicting patient risk, assisting in precision medicine, or even aiding in drug discovery. There are limitations and ethical considerations, but the potential for improving patient care is substantial.

2. **Education:** Personalized learning experiences could become more common with AI, which can adapt educational content to a student's learning pace and style. Virtual tutors can provide immediate feedback, and predictive analytics can help identify students who might need extra support.

3. **Transportation and Logistics:** Autonomous vehicles, including cars, trucks, and drones, are already starting to transform transportation. In logistics, AI can help optimize routes, manage inventory, and streamline supply chains.

4. **Finance:** AI can process vast amounts of financial data for risk assessment, fraud detection, investment strategies, and customer service. Robo-advisors are becoming more common in personal finance and wealth management.

5. **Retail and E-commerce:** AI can personalize shopping experiences, manage inventory, predict trends, and improve logistics and delivery. It can also enhance customer service through chatbots and virtual assistants.

6. **Entertainment and Media:** AI can generate music, assist in movie production, create personalized recommendations, and even write news articles or other types of content.

7. **Energy:** AI can optimize energy usage in buildings, improve the efficiency of renewable energy sources, and predict equipment failures in power plants.

8. **Agriculture:** AI can analyze satellite data for precision farming, automate tasks using agricultural robots, and monitor crop and soil health.

In all of these areas, AI has the potential to increase efficiency, improve accuracy, and deliver a more personalized experience. However, these advancements also raise important questions about job displacement, privacy, security, and ethical considerations that society is still grappling with. It's clear that AI will disrupt many aspects of our lives, but how we manage and direct these disruptions will determine their ultimate impact.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
If you ask a reasonable question with some context and expectations, you can get an immediate starting point from the AI tool. But that's true of traditional forum as well. Big difference is speed, ability to rephrase/refactor instantly and use the tool as a mentor.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
In addition to the list in #94, I foresee disinformation, propaganda and the like to increase. But the product will be almost imperceptible to the masses. The key deterrent factor will be some sort of fact-checking within the language model and the inherent processes.
I hope I'm wrong, but the masses have beliefs that aren't easily changed, and often an intrinsic mob-mentality.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
In addition to the list in #94, I foresee disinformation, propaganda and the like to increase. But the product will be almost imperceptible to the masses. The key deterrent factor will be some sort of fact-checking within the language model and the inherent processes.
I hope I'm wrong, but the masses have beliefs that aren't easily changed, and often an intrinsic mob-mentality.
And who will be the arbiter of that? We know from our own forum fact-checking can be manipulated in favor of a certain bias.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yes, that is the fundamental issue---who is the fact-checker! I'm sure we can just accept ChatGPT and its AI buddies. After all they get their facts from internet materials.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Brilliant article on the effect of AI on the web:-

The article suggests that people might eventually pay for access to websites like access world forums because they know that the information is good and curated. Much of the information developed by a chat GTP is waffle / filler with no substance.

The article cites a chat GPT inquiry into waterproof shoes. It listed the shoes as being the best picks, not through evidence of the shoe being best but by how often it was cited on the web.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom