Importing/Exporting Database Information (1 Viewer)

reptar

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 22:00
Hi, i have two identical databases, located in two seperate countries.

I would like to update one database with information from the other (and vice versa). Currently these databases are accessed on local area networks. Security is a big issue here. Is there a simple method of being able to import/export table information to keep them both up-to-date with one another?

All thoughts most welcome.

Thankyou.

Guus2005

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 07:00
You can use replication for this purpose.

Tools|Replication

HTH:D

reptar

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 22:00
cheers, will look into that

dfenton

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 01:00
You can use replication for this purpose.

Tools|Replication

That's not going to help if the two databases already exist.

To go the Jet replication route, the original poster will need to collect both copies of the database, merge the records into a single MDB, then replicate that.

However, if the replicas are not on the same wired LAN (which they no doubt aren't, because if they were, there'd be no need for two separate databases), then you'll need to synch between them. Over a WAN or the Internet, this is much more complicated than synching over a LAN.

I would suggest that before you go the replication route you see if one of the two offices has a Windows server that is suitable for hosting the database on Windows Terminal Server. Then one of the users would work on the database via a Remote Desktop session, while the other would work with local data. This is orders of magnitude simpler and more reliable than Jet replication.

For more on Jet replication, see the Jet Replication Wiki:

http://dfenton.com/DFA/Replication/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom