Indexing (1 Viewer)

geister

Local time
Today, 09:39
Hi there,

I am new to access and learning it because I want to understand relational databases without getting into SQL just yet.

I have a few areas that confuse me, but one that makes little sense to me is indexing. The answer is maybe obvious, but what difference does it make to allow duplicates or not?

I know it sounds dumb but it really hurts my head why this matters.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
If I have a customer table and customer number is my key, I don't want duplicate customer numbers. If there are 2 customer number 123's, how do I know which one you want when you type in 123? How can I use that field to relate to their orders if customer 123 in the orders table could refer to more than one customer?

geister

Local time
If I have a customer table and customer number is my key, I don't want duplicate customer numbers. If there are 2 customer number 123's, how do I know which one you want when you type in 123? How can I use that field to relate to their orders if customer 123 in the orders table could refer to more than one customer?

So it is kind of another way of enforcing integrity?

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Certainly; the database engine protects you from having duplicate key values.

geister

Local time
Thanks both, I should have trusted my own understanding here rather than overthinking it.

geister

Local time
One follow up, when ye are deciding what to index - at the most basic level - what are you looking for?

It seems to me that most small databases would not need to pay attention to this (leaving aside primary key auto-indexing).

Are there any general rules for thinking about when and when not to index?

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
FYI, approved the moderated posts that CJ responded to. ;)

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 02:39
index any field where you regularly join on in queries (so both sides of a one to many relationship)

However, be aware that defining a relationship automatically places indexes on the related fields. Be sure you don't duplicate these automatically created indexes.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:39
defining a relationship automatically places indexes on the related fields
I always thought that was to do with settings in Options>Object Designers?

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 02:39
I always thought that was to do with settings in Options>Object Designers?

You mean the setting that interprets certain names such as "ID" as fields that need to be indexed?

That is separate from the indexes generated by creating a relationship. Create a relationship then look at the indexes on the tables. I understand these indexes were hidden in the user interface of earlier versions of Access but could be seen in VBA.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:39
You mean the setting that interprets certain names such as "ID" as fields that need to be indexed?
yes but although it doesn't say so, it applied an index if it starts or ends with ID

IDField - indexes
FieldID - indexes
FIDield - not indexed

geister

Local time
I'm ignoring the last few lest I end up confused!

How about when to allow duplicates or not?

Also sorry for the dumb questions. I'm from the school of just ask, no matter how dumb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom