Solved Insert Into not working with a split database (1 Viewer)

Eureka99

Local time
Today, 06:52
Hi Chaps,

I have built a database that is using the sql code below to dump a list of components from a SQL data warehouse into the access database.
Whilst the access file is in one piece this works fine.

When I split the database into front and back end, it then falls over.

If a product has 14 components for example, it will enter 14 lines of the first component, instead of 14 lines of different components.

How do i resolve this when the database is split and all the tables are then links?

The table im dropping them into is tbl_temp. Mo1 is the MO number taken from an Input box field.

From SQL:

EIT_GB_MVXCDTA_MWOMAT - The table i'm getting the data from
VMMTNO - Item number
VMMFNO - MO number
VMMSEQ - Component sequence number

Code:
Dim db As DAO.Database
Set db = CurrentDb
db.Execute "Insert Into tbl_temp (Comp) Select VMMTNO From EIT_GB_MVXCDTA_MWOMAT Where VMMFNO=" & [Mo1] & " Order By VMMSEQ;", dbFailOnError
Set db = Nothing

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
If you run that SQL query as a SELECT statement when it's split, does it return the correct results?

Eureka99

Local time
No It doesnt.

I've tried it two more ways.

On the unsplit database I've used:

Code:
SELECT
VMMTNO
FROM EIT_GB_MVXCDTA_MWOMAT
WHERE [VMMFNO]=1744373
ORDER BY VMMSEQ;

which doesnt work and gets me the same list of 14 x 1 component.

I've checked it on MSSMS which gives me the full list

Code:
SELECT
VMMTNO
FROM [eit].[EIT_GB].[MVXCDTA_MWOMAT]
WHERE [VMMFNO]='1744373'
ORDER BY VMMSEQ;

N.B 1744373 is an active MO number that i've just hard coded as a test

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
It's text if you are putting ' ' around it in SSMS, you need to do the same in Access.

db.Execute "Insert Into tbl_temp (Comp) Select VMMTNO From EIT_GB_MVXCDTA_MWOMAT Where VMMFNO='" & [Mo1] & "' Order By VMMSEQ;", dbFailOnError

Eureka99

Local time
I put ' ' around it just as thats what the guy who taught me SQL taught me to do. It works without them.

Strangely in the query builder I seem to have fixed it. I removed by "Distinct" command and selected unique records from the options.

It gave me this code that now seems to be working. I dont know if you can tell me the difference:

Code:
db.Execute "Insert Into tbl_temp (Comp) SELECT DISTINCT EIT_GB_MVXCDTA_MWOMAT.VMMTNO FROM EIT_GB_MVXCDTA_MWOMAT WHERE (((EIT_GB_MVXCDTA_MWOMAT.[VMMFNO])= " & [Mo1] & "));", dbFailOnError

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I dont know if you can tell me the difference:
without seeing what you actually had originally, impossible to say since selecting unique records just adds the word DISTINCT - which isn't in your original code. So perhaps you applied it incorrectly. Or perhaps you were returning VMMFNO and not VMMTNO as you are showing.

I presume the EIT_GB_MVXCDTA_MWOMAT table is a linked table to sql server and tbl_temp is a linked table to your accdb back end. So possible you were linked to the wrong table(s)?

The other possibility is your EIT_GB_MVXCDTA_MWOMAT does not have a compound unique index on VMMTNO and VMMFNO so there are repeats of the data - using DISTINCT will remove the repeats. However I would have expected more than 14 records to be returned without the DISTINCT if that is the number of unique records you are expecting.

sonic8

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 07:52
If a product has 14 components for example, it will enter 14 lines of the first component, instead of 14 lines of different components.
My bet: Your SQL Server source "table" is actually a view and you've specified an incorrect primary key while linking the view. They primary key column you specified returns multiple values per key value. These are the duplicate/incorrect records you are seeing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom