Introducing the local Day and Time addon (1 Viewer)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:32
If you look just under your avatar, we now have the local date and time for the member. This can help you understand when they are likely to be awake and online! I thought it seemed very handy. Since this forum is global, knowing when the other persons timezone could prove very handy.

Currently, the addon has a glitch in that it is too wide. I am waiting for the developer to update that part, but have no idea when that might be.

Let me know what you think of this addon.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Today, 05:32
that's about the most useful thing you've ever done here, Jon. outside of the software transformation of course. nice job. =)

tell me, did your developer use this along with the cookie or session ident?
PHP:
set_current_timezone()

Reactions: Jon

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I hope you enjoyed your breakfast.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
how did you know I was eating bfast!? are you looking at the super globals you've got set up, you freakin' snoop (Site Owner Edit: ) wonderful human being?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Eye in the sky.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Eye in the sky.
ok Jon, now THAT is just plain stupid. I know you're lying. =) there are no drones over here reporting me to your little unknowing a$$. lol

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Dinner in a couple of hours? No pasta left though. :D

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I was thinking you were Italian!

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 06:32
I was thinking you were Italian!
Been here long enough to be assimilated (since 2013), but no, I'm an EXPAT from Virginia. Before that, I lived in Spain and have not domiciled in the US since 2011. I am in NO hurry to return.

Dont get me wrong, I do love my homeland, but the people there are not as happy as Europe. Maybe I am looking at it through rose colored glasses because I know I can return anytime I choose. But for now, that is how I see it.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Are you ethnically Italian?

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 06:32
According to my DNA test, not even close! 14% French, 12% Portuguese (mothers side), 11% UK and the rest is a hodgepodge of North Atlantic, Netherlands and less than .01% American Indian.

I am truly a mutt...

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Nice little add-on.
Whilst I have probably fathomed where most of the regulars are from it will help with new posters.

Reactions: Jon

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
According to my DNA test, not even close! 14% French, 12% Portuguese (mothers side), 11% UK and the rest is a hodgepodge of North Atlantic, Netherlands and less than .01% American Indian.

I am truly a mutt...
Well travelled ancestry!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Just to be clear, I have done Ancestry.COM but NOT the DNA portion. It's a question I don't need answered. What I have found from my family tree is that father's side is England (specifically Sussex and Essex) and French (Tours and vicinity, about the time of a Jewish Diaspora from France); mother's side is Irish. Both sides have a touch of Scottish. Wife's mother AND father, through different paths, are BOTH French by way of Canada. Her mother's side, directly descended from Acadia, Nova Scotia - and the dates are right for the "original" migration in the second quarter of the 1700s, when Canada became British and the Acadians said bye-bye. Her dad's side took an overland route to get to south Louisiana.

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I thought it had its moments of interest, Adam. Thank you. I found it fascinating to go back through the ages like that. You would not believe what old census records look like when viewed through their web site.

My mother-in-law Delta had grown up around Thibodeaux, Louisiana, and had heard stories about Cajun origins but never thought any of it would apply to her. I found a case where more than one of her ancestors was born in or near Acadia, Nova Scotia and died in St. Martinville, Louisiana (about 1 1/2 hours drive north of New Orleans). The timing was right for "Le Grand Derangement" (as the Acadians called it) which followed the Treaty of Utrecht that ceded Canada to British Rule. The Cajuns didn't leave right away but when they had to sign oaths of allegiance to England, that is when they packed up and left.

Delta was "tickled pink" to learn that she was from one of the oldest families in south Louisiana. Among Cajuns, it is the equivalent of "coming over on the Mayflower" to New Englanders. It gave her "bragging rights" around the nursing home, which, at age 92, can be forgiven. At that age you are lucky to have ANYTHING about which you can brag. She passed at the end of 2018 having just turned 93.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
well it sounds like she led a very full and fruitful life. that's good. your mayflower story reminds me of that movie "National Treasure" with Nicolas Cage. They always talk in that film about how the Free Masons smuggled the treasure out of Europe and kept it hidden from the Brits, and kept it over here in America.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom