Introduction (1 Viewer)

jillnoble

Local time
Today, 04:39
Good morning to you all, how to describe myself? Not really sure. I just getting a little excited about DB's, excel etc and nice to know I'm not on my own! I am very much self taught and ended up building a database for the company I work for (when the current one they had paid for many years before no longer met requirements and could not be manipulated into doing so!) including tables, forms, queries, reports and macros (ish!) but all a bit on the hop and all with pinching bits off the internet and the very basic knowledge I have gained over the years. I have had no training but have got by so far. I've never joined a forum before and it scares me a little as over the years I've build my database, I've probably not done this the way I should've 😬if I was a proper programmer!

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Welcome to the forums! We are the most active Microsoft Access community on the internet by far, with posts going back over 20 years!

Here are just a couple of tips for you:

1. Feel free to ask any question you like, however basic you may feel it is, or even if it has been answered before. Our expert members thrive on helping you out!

2. If you prefer a dark theme to the forums, just go to the bottom left of this forum and click "Default style". You will then see a selection of themes to choose from. I like Shades of Blue. :)

3. If you like any of the answers you get, feel free to click the "Like" link on the bottom right hand corner of the post. If you hover over the Like link, you can even choose the type of smiley.

Above all, hang around here, have fun, learn stuff and join in.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 23:39
Welcome to AWF!

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 20:39
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 22:39
If you are new to the world of databases, the first thing you should study is database normalization. In a world of relational databases, if you are not comfortable with how to normalize - and how to recognize the NEED to normalize - then databases will be awkward, ugly things that you can turn into more graceful things. If you HAVE studied normalization, then great!

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 20:39
Welcome to AWF! Thanks for sharing a bit about your background, we are all learning.

+1 for what The Doc Man mentioned. Every time you make a database, or add thereto, the "foundation" is the tables. Get those right and the rest just happens so naturally.

It's hard sometimes, I know, because business partners go the opposite direction - they start at "what will we need to report on?" and pretty much stop there.

Enjoy the forums and good to have you.

jillnoble

Local time
Thank you for the welcome, Luckily, I 'think' my tables are all good and always start there before going onto creating any new forms, reports etc. Although, I seem to have committed a cardinal sin by using spaces in my field names 😬! Hasn't got me into too much trouble so far but I do now realise why it would've been easier not too!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom