Irritated - need to vent! (1 Viewer)

Ani

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:10
Ok so Im not the most technically minded person in the world BUT.

And here goes a whole load of moaning, why do Human Beings assume so much..."it is just Human Nature".
No it isnt!

It is about making conscious choices of how you want to communicate with the rest of the species. It is about arrogance and ego, it is about needing to feel superior and it irritates the bloody hell out of me.
Im 51 yrs old, I dont know much about anything, despite having three university degrees, bringing up a family (and now partly responsible for another generation), having worked in quite a few different jobs (far more than I care to admit to) and most importantly having some major rules and thinking by which I have lived! Also I did most of it all fairly simultaneously!
Rule 1 - You NEVER stop learning!
Rule 2 - Someone else will know something you dont!
Rule 3 - Expect less of Human Beings than you actually really want to expect!
Rule 4 - Try and treat people how you want to be treated!
Rule 5 - The hardest - Think before you utter a word out loud!

With those rules go some basic conditions:

Appreciate and enjoy your own achievements (without bragging) - you do not have the right to expect anyone else (other than perhaps your parents)to be proud of you!
Share knowledge only when others want to listen (unless you are teaching teenagers).
Explain your knowledge in a non -patronising manner, just because someone doesnt know what you do, they are not necessarily stupid!
Always think about how you are communicating with others, wars are started because of misunderstandings.
Never forget that you are just as faulty as the next person!

Oh and I have just broken most (if not all) of those rules and conditions but there has to be exceptions sometimes and at least on here everyone can chose to ignore me, which I sort of hope they do! :D
Phew....feel better now!
Have a good day all!
Ani

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Yesterday, 18:10
Good rant! Clear. Still an intractable conflict though if I follow those rules and the other guy thinks he did too.

What I'm realizing is that we all have blind spots, big ones, and so the things we can't see, we really really really can't see. And the best way to get traction in a slippery pool of blindness? Patience and kindness. Patience and kindness.

Have a good one,
Mark

Ani

Registered User.
Local time
It is the only way. We are all Human. I do try and understand that I am as at fault as everyone else, hopefully most of the time.
Ive calmed down now....it helped to rant though! ;)
Ani

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Today, 11:10
Ani

Why not have a go at rewriting this as a new kid on the block explaining how you would like to be answered by the advisers.

Things like level of complexity, terminology etc that at times can make the question pale into significance compared to the complexity of the response.

This could be posted in the Forum "Microsoft Access Tutorials "

Just a thought.

Ani

Registered User.
Local time
I could, my rant wasnt aimed at any one group of people in particular! It was about several things that happened over a period of a few days and not just to myself. It is a communication problem that is rife everywhere, in every aspect of life and it absolutely drives me to distraction.
If you feel it would be helpful I could re-word it so that it is more constructive! LOL
Ani

RainLover

Local time
My personal feeling is that people like myself who are untrained sometimes go a bit overboard.

Those of us who are trained are often the worse to understand as with them you must know the theory and the language that comes with it.

It would not hurt to Train the Trainer.

Give it a go. Don't expect to change the world. However it may make interesting conversation.

Here endeth the lesson.

PS Did you sort that Combo problem. I hope it ended with a New table. And another problem I saw you with you spoke about an Unbound Control. These are usually a no no.

Ani

Registered User.
Local time
If I tell you I was a teacher, would that put my rant into perspective! The number of teachers that are really awful communicators is another story! ;)
I do not get it right myself half of the time! Always need to keep trying to improve.
I havnt sorted the combo box thing because I am trying to read about bound and unbound controls, finding it difficult to find a good explanation that doesnt go into huge amounts of detail!
Ani

RainLover

Local time
I haven't sorted the combo box thing because I am trying to read about bound and unbound controls, finding it difficult to find a good explanation that doesn't go into huge amounts of detail!
I will have a look after I wake up and have fed the Livestock. Namely one Boarder Collie who lost something at the Vet's yesterday. His name is now Adam.

Ani

Registered User.
Local time
Give it a go. Don't expect to change the world. However it may make interesting conversation.

PS I gave up thinking could change the world when I was 16yrs old LOL However I have come to realise that if you touch a persons life in a positive way it makes life so much more worth while. They may not even realise that you have done so but if you always try eventually the positive beads of light shared, become a beacon.

Ani

Registered User.
Local time
I will have a look after I wake up and have fed the Livestock. Namely one Boarder Collie who lost something at the Vet's yesterday. His name is now Adam.

That sounds similar to one of my hens that started to crow! Her name is now Fred! ;)

Shado

Registered User.
Local time
Ok so Im not the most technically minded person in the world BUT.

And here goes a whole load of moaning, why do Human Beings assume so much..."it is just Human Nature".
No it isnt!

It is about making conscious choices of how you want to communicate with the rest of the species. It is about arrogance and ego, it is about needing to feel superior and it irritates the bloody hell out of me.
Im 51 yrs old, I dont know much about anything, despite having three university degrees, bringing up a family (and now partly responsible for another generation), having worked in quite a few different jobs (far more than I care to admit to) and most importantly having some major rules and thinking by which I have lived! Also I did most of it all fairly simultaneously!
Rule 1 - You NEVER stop learning!
Rule 2 - Someone else will know something you dont!
Rule 3 - Expect less of Human Beings than you actually really want to expect!
Rule 4 - Try and treat people how you want to be treated!
Rule 5 - The hardest - Think before you utter a word out loud!

With those rules go some basic conditions:

Appreciate and enjoy your own achievements (without bragging) - you do not have the right to expect anyone else (other than perhaps your parents)to be proud of you!
Share knowledge only when others want to listen (unless you are teaching teenagers).
Explain your knowledge in a non -patronising manner, just because someone doesnt know what you do, they are not necessarily stupid!
Always think about how you are communicating with others, wars are started because of misunderstandings.
Never forget that you are just as faulty as the next person!

Oh and I have just broken most (if not all) of those rules and conditions but there has to be exceptions sometimes and at least on here everyone can chose to ignore me, which I sort of hope they do! :D
Phew....feel better now!
Have a good day all!
Ani

Now this post, I *love*. Especially the non-patronising bit. People aren't as stupid as others assume. I do a bit of IT support as my side-role at my job and I can safely say people love working with me because I never patronise them. Also, the line about being just as faulty as the next person, so true! Nobody is perfect, no matter how much they've told themselves they are. It's always so fun seeing reactions when said flaws come out. :D

Ani

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks Shado.....I can be patronising at times, it is difficult to remember, when you know a subject at a higher level, that you yourself had to start at a lower level but I usually stop myself within a few words or apologise for doing it. It is a different problem with using written medium because the other person can not hear the 'tone of voice' you are using.
In many ways written communications need to be far more concise, dont you think?
Ani

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Yesterday, 21:10
Some very good posts. I would like to add this. Remember that everything is relative. Compare to Bill Gates and Warren Buffet, I am a very poor man. Compare to some people in third world nations I am very wealthy. In the circle I travel I am the Access expert. On this forum I am a weenie. Praise God for both positions I have.

Ani

Registered User.
Local time
Some very good posts. I would like to add this. Remember that everything is relative. Compare to Bill Gates and Warren Buffet, I am a very poor man. Compare to some people in third world nations I am very wealthy. In the circle I travel I am the Access expert. On this forum I am a weenie. Praise God for both positions I have.

I like that Dick7Access!:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom