Is 2-in-1 the next stop on Computer's Evolution? (1 Viewer)

prabha_friend

Prabhakaran Karuppaih
Local time
Today, 06:27
Laptop ate Desktop. 2-in-1 eats Laptop? It's just my assumption. Kindly clarify.

With Hope,
Prabhakaran

JonXL

Local time
Yesterday, 19:57
What's a 2-in-1 in this scenario?

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 17:57
I've had one for several years and I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've opened it all the way to tablet mode. That's just me though, it works perfectly fine that way. I do like and use the touchscreen though, even in laptop mode.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Touchscreens were available at times when my grandsons were still with us a lot (as free babysitters, of course...). For obvious reasons, NONE of my computers EVER had touchscreens. Now I don't think I need them. I'm too accustomed to mouse&keyboard.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 20:57
If you are web surfing or scanning your mail, a touchpad is convenient. It is pretty useless for actual work, especially development.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:57
I had a touch screen in an all-in-one desktop. Turned it off because insects kept interfering with the mouse.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Big insects! We have mosquitos that are pretty big, but I'll bet our palmetto bugs would REALLY mess up a touch screen.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Our cat used to chase the palmettos. Apparently they didn't taste good because she didn't eat them. Every once in a while I'd hear this click, click, click and I'd find the cat with a claw extended and a palmetto stuck on it. Ick. but I had to rescue her. My housekeeper in Kuwait knew the solution though. Boric acid. In the bathrooms and kitchens around the drains and at all the doorways.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Doc, Touchscreens were available at times when my grandsons were still with us a lot (as free babysitters, of course...). For obvious reasons, NONE of my computers EVER had touchscreens. Now I don't think I need them. I'm too accustomed to mouse&keyboard.

I am with you Doc. Last time I brought my Lap top computer in to be fixed, the geek ask me what’s that on your computer. I said breakfast, why do you ask?

Pat, Our cat used to chase the palmettos. Apparently they didn't taste good because she didn't eat them. Every once in a while I'd hear this click, click, click and I'd find the cat with a claw extended and a palmetto stuck on it. Ick. but I had to rescue her. My housekeeper in Kuwait knew the solution though. Boric acid. In the bathrooms and kitchens around the drains and at all the doorways.

Pat, don’t move to FL, like In did. In many ways I miss RI. Stay in RI. A palmettos ate my cat.

AngelSpeaks

Local time
If you are web surfing or scanning your mail, a touchpad is convenient. It is pretty useless for actual work, especially development.
My tablet/laptop gets most of its use when connected to my camera for a photo booth or surfing. No way I use this iddy biddy thing to do real work. I do have a mouse which gets a lot of use.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I always use a stylus when I use a touch screen. You can get a pack of 10 beautiful colors for about $7 on Amazon. Or you can pay $10 for one.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Pat, don’t move to FL, like In did. In many ways I miss RI. Stay in RI. A palmettos ate my cat.
I lived in Miami which was where the cat was chasing the palmettos. We didn't have them in Kuwait because we used the boric acid to keep them out of the apartment.

I haven't been to a Taco Bell since i went into one back in Miami 45 years ago. I took my daughter who was ~ 4 at the time into the ladies room. I walked in and closed the door and then I opened my eyes as she started screaming. The walls and ceiling were covered with palmettos. There were hundreds of them! Management used to spray our apartment every three weeks. Apparently the palmettos had a hiding place. They'd move out for the day and then come right back. They were big enough to name and walk on leashes. I couldn't even bring myself to step on one although I did chase one around the apartment one day with a can of raid. Eventually, his legs got so gummed up he couldn't run.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
I lived in Miami which was where the cat was chasing the palmettos. We didn't have them in Kuwait because we used the boric acid to keep them out of the apartment.

I haven't been to a Taco Bell since i went into one back in Miami 45 years ago. I took my daughter who was ~ 4 at the time into the ladies room. I walked in and closed the door and then I opened my eyes as she started screaming. The walls and ceiling were covered with palmettos. There were hundreds of them! Management used to spray our apartment every three weeks. Apparently the palmettos had a hiding place. They'd move out for the day and then come right back. They were big enough to name and walk on leashes. I couldn't even bring myself to step on one although I did chase one around the apartment one day with a can of raid. Eventually, his legs got so gummed up he couldn't run.
Pat, when my daughter was around 4 we took her to Roger William park. After the animals my wife took her to ladies room. She said mommy how come this smells like the monkey house. Many years when she has a 1 year old of her own she visited me in FL. As she was about to put the baby carrier down on the picnic table some palmetto bugs scattered. She screamed and I said those are palmetto bugs. She said Dad those are aren’t bugs there little animals.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I don't know ALL of the places they like to inhabit, but palmetto bugs really like slightly rotten willow trees. We had a couple of those on our property when I was a kid but by the time I got my bachelor's degree, they had rotted out badly enough to fall down, so we leveled off the stump and eventually dug it out. The palmettos stayed with it until the rotten wood was completely gone. Pesky little buggers. But the REAL "gotcha" for folks visiting New Orleans during palmetto bug season (any month with at least 28 days in it, I think) is when a tourist realizes palmettos have functional wings and will swarm at night.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 01:57
I use a laptop for development work these days.
It's an i7 with 64Gb of RAM. It's more than adequate for the task, and runs SQL server developer as well as a host of other things.

I have a separate keyboard and mouse and three external monitors connected via a dedicated dock.
I have the same set-up mirrored at work, so I just undock and go when I am working in the office, or at home.

As the laptop spends 95% of its time closed a touch screen would be wasted.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 17:57
I have ... three external monitors connected via a dedicated dock.

Gee, and I was excited to have two external monitors connected to my laptop (no dock though). I do use the laptop's screen as a third monitor I guess, but I still feel inadequate. I gotta up my game! :geek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom