is access 2016 compatible with access 2010 (1 Viewer)

John thomas

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 17:50
Hi i have a split database using access 2010
just had to buy a new version of access for one of my computers .access 2016
I am getting the folllowing message you may be at the end of a record set when trying to open a form .
I have tried loading the back end (access2010) on diffrent machines and all work ok except for the front end using (2016) if i put the front end on the machine with access 2016 and the back end on the same machine that works for that machine only
Are there any known problems .
It sounds a bit confusing i hope it makes sence

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 19:50
First thing I would check is to take the machines that have 2010 and open up a code window so you can open Tools>>References. Make a list of what is checked and in what order they appear.

Next, check the 2016 machine the same way. If you see any reference that claims "Broken Reference" then you have a BIG difference right there. If there is a difference in the order of appearance of references, you have found at least one more potential source of trouble, since when there are conflicting names (i.e. two DLLs use the same name for something), the order of appearance in the reference list determines which one "wins" unless you go back and qualify the object-name references. The ADO and DAO libraries were notorious for this because of the entry-point names they had in common with each other.

Another issue comes to mind. I believe I am right in this - that for Ac2010, the default Office install was the 32-bit version, but for 2013 and later it is the 64-bit version, which has different .DLL files. You will need to determine which version (32/64) you are running on the 2016 system.

To find 32/64 bit version info, open your 2016 FE in a mode where you don't launch your default form. You need the ribbon for this. Now do File>>Account then in the center of the screen, click the About Access button that has a question-mark in it. The "About" box will open up telling you the Access version, Office version, and 32 or 64-bit variant.

For S&G, do the same on a 2010 machine. If your 2010 and 2016 systems have different sizing variants, they will be incompatible without a LOT of work. In fact, at least for 2013 I have found cases where using the 64-bit variant would not be practical because the "right" DLL file doesn't exist for that variant. To make it work I would have to rebuild all external DLL interfaces (assuming I can find them) to assure that the "pointer-safe" adjustments were made. But for implicit functions, I might not have access to the calls in a way to assure that the pointer-safe adjustments are done properly.

Now it IS possible that someone installed the 64-bit version of Office for 2010, but that wasn't so common a choice six years ago.

In any case, your problem could easily be references caused by differences between the default order of libraries or implicit in the differences between data-size variant cases. If I am correct, your solution is to remove the 64-bit version and install the 32-bit version. NOTE that if you use SharePoint for the new version, you might be stuck because I don't think SharePoint works correctly with the 32-bit version.

Last edited:

John thomas

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Doc Man
Thanks for your help
Jeepers it sounds really complicated. However when I get back to work Friday I will check out what you suggest .
Your knowledge of Access astounds me .
We downloaded this version of access so we dont have a disc ,can I get into the program somewere and alter it to the 32 bit version if thats the problem
Thanks again

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
No, you need a full Office kit to install 32-bit (or 64 bit, either way). I didn't know you could download Access unless you are using the "Office-Cloud" version.

As to "my knowledge of Access" - it is because I am experienced. You DO know what it means to be experienced, don't you? It means that I can recognize my mistakes when I make them again. :D

John thomas

Registered User.
Local time
Solved..
Hi Doc Man
Checked out what you said all is 32 bit so could not see the problem .was about to start checking other things that you said .and it suddenly struck me .This is a new computer .Could it be to do with sharing files .
The problem Was I had not allowed sharing to read and write
so when ever i tried to update anything it came up with an error message ,this made me think it must be an access prob .(clearly wasnt)
however I now know different versions of access will work together .

Thank you for your help. sorry to wast your time

sneuberg

AWF VIP
Local time
It seems weird that that would cause a message like "you may be at the end of a record set". I don't think anyone can blame you for thinking it was Access. Thanks for letting us know what it was.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 01:50
I spent a large chuck of yesterday morning investigating a "ODBC failure" message. It turned out that the query designer had for some reason added a load of bogus grouping to a batch of queries I had been using unhindered for a good couple of months.

Needless to say I wasn't looking at the queries as the problem, I thought I had maybe changed a field in the underlying SQL table, or a linked view or god knows what else... Great waste of a couple of hours. :)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I have to say, chasing down Access bugs isn't ALWAYS easy. All too often, the real error is obscured by the fact that it is happening in a DLL because you have a bad system setting that you would NEVER have guessed in a gazillion years would have anything to do with your code.

I remember from many years ago that when we changed printers out at work that some of the Access-based direct print operations started failing with obscure error messages, and we eventually traced it down to the choice of default printers - because depending on how you open a report using VBA, it doesn't always offer you a Print Properties dialog.

Of course, that was a system-level issue, not an Access issue. Now that I'm experienced (see entry #4 of this thread for definition of that term), I know what to expect when we bring a new printer online. Just another example of tearing out your hair over Access when it really didn't give you a helpful error message.

So don't feel too much pain over having been led down the garden path by Access. We have ALL been there and done that and bought the T-shirt (and probably wore it out).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom