Is America on the brink of Civl War? (1 Viewer)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:44
After seeing plenty of violence, riots, shootings, protests and so forth, there appears to be much unrest over there. What do those of you living over there think? You have marxist BLMers rioting, antifa, violent responses whenever there is a black guy shot by cops, Chop zone, Democrat mayors saying all is ok until the protesters march to their homes and then they suddenly change their minds. The splits and divisions seem to be down political, racial, police, gender and LGBT lines.

Where will it all end?

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:44
The country has certainly become more polarized. Daily life seems normal (okay, the new normal) but the news stories certainly make one nervous. MLK's desire to have us all be judged by the content of our character is long forgotten. They determine which box you fit into based on color, gender, etc and that determines how you're judged.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Is America on the brink of Civl War? Race War?

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
This reminds me of something I read about a while back. The premise was that in America, we did not have a civil war, we had a failed war of independence. In a civil war, two or more parties are fighting for control of the same country. In our civil war, the south just wanted out of the union, they didn't want control of the country.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:44
We keep on seeing noise from the left coast that California wants to secede from the union. That would be GREAT, actually, because what would happen is that they would have to give all Californians a chance to emigrate to the USA, so the state would depopulate. But better still, if they really DID secede, that's something silly like 57 Democratic votes no longer in the Electoral College.

Not only that, but California is in so much debt that they would go bankrupt. And because they would secede from the union, they would cease to be covered by FDIC, which means all savings would be unsecured. Also, no U.S. border patrol agents for the Cali/Mexico border. On, the insanity of it all is delicious on so many levels. Can you say "Cut off your nose to spite your face"? I knew you could. What a LOVELY day in the neighborhood.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The only downside would be the increased flood of Californians to Nevada. :(

Hunker down Doc! Stay safe.

RahulSharma

Local time
Today, 21:44
I think, American crisis will settle down after election 2020. The people of America will see big changes after 2020 elections.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 12:44
The country has certainly become more polarized. Daily life seems normal (okay, the new normal) but the news stories certainly make one nervous. MLK's desire to have us all be judged by the content of our character is long forgotten. They determine which box you fit into based on color, gender, etc and that determines how you're judged.
Very true. The "left" is very Orwellian to end claimed racism, we must have racism.

The State of California even has on the ballot a proposition that would allow decisions to be race based!!! Clearly this makes a mockery of MLK's desire for us to be judged on qualifications.

The Washington Times reports: Portland protesters sue Trump over DHS deployment to quell riots. As a quick summary, here we have a supposed group of lawyers (ACLU) concerned about civil liberties actually supporting those who are breaking the law (through violence, intimidation, and rioting) and depriving regular citizens of their civil liberties. Which also leads to a case were apparent BLM protesters were openly intimidating people attempting to eat peaceably at a restaurant, thereby depriving the dinners of their civil liberty to dine in peace.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Hunker down Doc! Stay safe.

Thanks, Paul. I'm assuming you refer to Hurricane Laura. I had no fear of Laura for us because it headed a couple of hundred miles west of us. We dodged two bullets here. Hurricane Marco was a wimp and Laura picked the Sabine River area. All we have gotten so far is a few wind gusts and some light, brief showers. For us, not even any road flooding, and heck - we can flood our roads if more than two people pee on the same tree outside. All I did in precaution was to rake out loose debris from our street drains.

I have some concerns for a few cousins in the Lake Charles area, but the news headlines this morning suggest that Lake Charles didn't catch the huge storm surge. It is too far inland. The small coastal community of Cameron, LA will catch every inch of the surge. I was up last night following the Weather Channel's radar and as far as I can tell, Cameron was dead-center for the eye of the storm to pass over it. No more than maybe a few miles from dead center, anyway. It will take a while for people to get pictures of all the damage so we can better appreciate it.

The only real problem I face is that we have some trees on our property that are dropping small branches and a few small, dead limbs. I will have to police the yard again. Small price to pay for trees that shade us and help break the brunt of winds from the southeast.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Good to hear Doc! I admit to not paying that much attention to exactly where landfall was predicted, just noted that it was in your general area.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
The only downside would be the increased flood of Californians to Nevada. :(
I've been to Nevada probably 20-25 times. Married at Chapel of the Bells, have friends who live at Del Webb right on a golf course. I am very familiar with Henderson and so on. This Californian is not moving there, no matter how hard your state representatives want me to spend my retirement money in Nevada the answer is nope.

Hopefully you can sleep easier knowing one more Californian isn't coming... :p

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
But, AccessBlaster, you are the kind of Californian we all want to emigrate to one of the saner states (not CT, this is not a sane place). I say let California wallow in its own filth. I'm happy to put all the homeless people from Connecticut on a train because in California, they can get housing in nice hotels and have their drugs, booze and cigarettes delivered to keep them "safe". Of course if you or I ever dared to smoke a cigarette in the very same hotel, we'd be hauled off to jail. That's the Democrats, they'd have no standards at all if they didn't have a double standard. The crazies from California have already ruined Oregon and Washington so I would cut off the whole left coast and move the wall from Mexico to Nevada ,Arizona and Idaho. Maybe put a fence around Colorado because a lot of the crazies went there too. Now I hear they're moving to Texas.

Jon,
I don't see this discord as a race war. Despite what the Democrats would have you believe, American (excepting some individuals as always) is not a racist country. If we are so racist, are all the people of color from other countries in the world who strive to come here stupid? Or do they know something that the victims in the inner cities don't know? Look at the success rate of legal immigrants in this country. They do amazingly well regardless of their skin color. A few years ago, MLK would have been very happy at the progress society had made in seeing a person's character rather than the color of his skin. I see this as a class war. Listen to the rhetoric of the left. Rich people are evil. Making money bad. You have to share what you have with those less fortunate and you you won't willingly share, we will take it from you. Listen to the mob telling people in nice neighborhoods that they don't own their homes, they need to give them back to the people they stole them from - i.e. Native Americans and slaves. The left does not believe in equal opportunity as promised by our Constitution. They believe in equal outcome. I guess that means I could be a rock star :love: Forget the fact that I'm old, weigh too much, and couldn't carry a tune if my life depended on it. That's what I want. I want it now. Give it to me or I'll burn up your cars and steal Nikes and Gucci bags from your stores before I torch them.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
I say let California wallow in its own filth. I'm happy to put all the homeless people from Connecticut on a train because in California, they can get housing in nice hotels and have their drugs, booze and cigarettes delivered to keep them "safe".
Pat you have nailed the issue as usual. California has long been the dumping ground for other states. Californians are some of the nicest people I have ever met most are very generous people.

Please fix your own homeless problems do not export your failures west.

The two issues that continually plague CA is the failed politics and the people moving here from other states. Similar to Paul's complaint about California ruining Nevada politics .

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
If we are so racist, are all the people of color from other countries in the world who strive to come here stupid?
For a better life. A richer country with more opportunity.

There will always be racism wherever you go, whichever country. And that goes from white to black and black to white. It is not unidirectional, whatever the Democrats want you to believe. To me, it is a question of degree. And I agree with you, I do not believe America is a particularly racist country. There are plenty who want to keep redefining what racism means and so then everybody gets caught in the net of the definition. But lets stick to the traditional meaning for now.

To my thinking, it doesn't matter if America is or isn't a particularly racist country for there to be division. It is about how it is perceived by minorities or the black community. If the Democrats keep saying how racist and disadvantaged the black community are, that we have white guilt, white priviledge, this is likely to fuel anger amongst the black community. The consequences of this is a potential uprising along racial lines. Consider BLM as a prime example. Add in white SJW's and you have a race war aided by whites, which kinda sounds like a contradiction. But its not. The reason for the war is perceived racial inequality.

Just look at how people divide themselves. In jail, everybody splits into gangs based on colour. Many neighbourhoods are split according to race. It becomes us verses them, and an echo chamber of hate can become the default thinking.

I don't live over there, but I have thought about these sorts of things a lot. That seems to be the reality to my inner world.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Pat you have nailed the issue as usual. California has long been the dumping ground for other states. Californians are some of the nicest people I have ever met most are very generous people.
There are generous and kind people everywhere. California in this case refers to the government and the people who continue to vote for their stupid policies. Please tell me you don't think putting up homeless people in hotels and delivering their vices to them is a sound policy. CT has a homeless problem but it is not as bad as other states. Our weather is not conducive to living outdoors, especially in the winter and spring.
For a better life. A richer country with more opportunity.
I know why people come. I've spoken to many of them, but the left says there is no opportunity here. All blacks are victims of racism. We are all bigots and we hate foreigners and especially people of color. How do they get away with selling that position to our poor, inner city people when people in the rest of the world aren't buying it, except perhaps Col.

People are tribal by nature. They like to be with people like themselves. I like to hang out with bridge players. That doesn't divide us along color lines although there is some residual apartheid in bridge since in the early days of the ACBL (American Contract Bridge League) segregation was still common. So there is a second league in the country called the ABL (American Bridge League) which is largely black. There has been talk over the years of merging the groups but the bone of contention seems to be master points. These are the numerical awards for winning or placing in various events. The ACBL master points are inflated so a person of expert rank in the ACBL would have thousands more master points than someone from the ABL. Maybe COVID will be the impetus to start the talks again.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
The crazies from California have already ruined Oregon and Washington so I would cut off the whole left coast and move the wall from Mexico to Nevada ,Arizona and Idaho. Maybe put a fence around Colorado because a lot of the crazies went there too. Now I hear they're moving to Texas.
After sending all the dregs of society to California what did you think would happen? You thought you could just fence it off? Nope Californians are moving to a town near YOU! They are bringing their politics with them. Unintended consequences.:love:

This will make room for the native born Californian's, couldn't happen fast enough!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
People are tribal by nature.

From the viewpoint that we get some of our behavior "triggers" through evolution, that "tribalism" is actually "territorialism" in the sense of "protecting our hunting grounds." We have grown far enough out of those ancient reptilian territorial urges that we don't ALWAYS shoot people walking along the sidewalk any more. But you can't rule that out as an urge for some folks.

Gregarious behavior is ALSO part of our evolutionary heritage from predatory mammals, who probably got that from predatory reptilian swarms that applied the "in numbers there is strength" principle.

Please note, however, that in my Ancestry.COM studies, I haven't yet identified anything but human ancestors. So I'm not claiming a specific lineage along those predatory lines. ;)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Tribalism is a very good name for it, and when a political party divides everything along those lines, it makes it too easy for groups to slip into their tribe, and react accordingly.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
People are moving to California? The stats I've seen show that the net is people leaving. The 2nd most common place for people in CA to move TO, is Arizona. Unfortunately. I think that's one reason why Arizona has become less politically red over time.

In response to the thread title, I do, in fact, worry ... About the way things are going. And I believe it is mostly racial in nature. That statement isn't an accusation that any particular person or race is doing any particular thing, just that the core of it that is driving things has to do a lot with race. It also transcends race, to the degree that some of the narratives and depictions being bought into are concepts that many liberals embrace & promote, which then of course can be spread on the basis of political ideology alone rather than just race.

I see potential increasing unrest as a result of either candidate (Biden/Trump) being elected, for various reasons.

But based on history and experience, my guess would be that things will cool down after a period of time. I'd guess that period of time will be shorter if Biden is elected, and longer if Trump is elected. Just my guess.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
People are moving to California? The stats I've seen show that the net is people leaving. The 2nd most common place for people in CA to move TO, is Arizona. Unfortunately. I think that's one reason why Arizona has become less politically red over time.
Good! lets keep the trend going. Now you guys know how it feels. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom