Is there a way to link to Outlook Calender (1 Viewer)

Gavcol69

Local time
Today, 02:26
I'm fairly new to Access but gradually getting my teeth in to it.
I'm trying to design a database for our tools at work. Some of the tools require a yearly Calibration. Is there a way of linking a "date due" field to the Outlook calender so that it pops up a reminder 10 days before hand letting me know it's nearing cal?

Thanks in advance

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Today, 03:26
Well, I was watching for someone with more knowledge than me to answer this so I could learn something.

This is not an advertisement for this site - it does show the first step.
http://www.bluemoosetech.com/micros...le=VBA Tools - References in Microsoft Access

In a VBA module - use Tools References as shown in this link to interface to the Object model of other applications. I do this with Excel every day. One of the search terms is OLE Automation. All of my reports are done using Excel Object Model from Access. There is a lot more information on Excel than on Outlook automation. My suggestion would be to get at least one Excel automation under your belt first.

That said, you mentioned that you are a beginner.
In this forum's Sample Database there is a Calender demo that can be downloaded. It might be worth your time to review that demo first.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:26
I have not dinked around with Outlook Calendars, but here is a general concept view. I'm going to underscore certain keywords you will need to look up and understand.

You first need to see about how to use COM (Active X) programming to create an Outlook Object, then you will have to open a collection in that object. You will probably have to do a .Add method in that collection to insert a calendar event that includes your text and a date. (I'm saying a .Add method, but Outlook is strangely persnickety about what events and methods it expects, so you might have to browse Outlook's methods to see what the correct verb happens to be.)

Now, how do you do all of that? You can find help on using VBA with Office. Access will give you some help on how to create an application object. You will have no choice but to open Outlook and browse through its own help files to find out its COM structure, basically a list of the object elements available for program interaction. You have a lot of bleary-eyed reading ahead of you, but if you have Access and Outlook on your computer, you have the tools you need to do the reading already.

A hint about Outlook's persnickety viewpoint: If you want to open up something like a message that you are about to send, you have to open up an INSPECTOR - which is the name they give to a programming interface. It's not a window because to the user, it isn't visible. (If you can't see it, it isn't a window, right?) Anyway, try to take their odd nomenclature in stride. Laugh at the product. Or cry and get it out of your system like I did the first time I had to muck about with it.

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Today, 03:26
The Doc Man has some excellent pointers.
On reviewing this again, that you are a beginner and want to have a reminder pop-up for a date in Outlook ...
We use Groupwise (not by my personal choice), not Outlook.
Wonder if Outlook has a quick-and-dirty way to send a "reminder" or "appointment" to an Outlook client? Perhaps instead of a full-blown outlook VBA, a procedure to just send an appointment would do?

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Sof...-in-VBA-with-the-OutlookCreateItem-Class.html

Here is some code that looks like something in the old MS Training Access 97 OLE chapter example. The bonus is that a sample for both Excel and Access is shown to be available.
If anyone can(or has time to) try this, please, please post some feedback.

Gavcol69

Local time
Today, 02:26
Many Thanks for all of your Advice. Hopefully this post will be of use to others looking to do the same thing.
It all looks very scary and I think i'll just c/o a query every 30 days. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom