Is this bad? (1 Viewer)

sueviolet

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:41
Easy question....

Ive just been sent an Access db.

It consists of one table with 4 fields. (location name, location type, watershed code, species, years available) Two of the fields "Species" and "Year available" contain codes recorded in the following format: ct, act, dv, st or 69, 72, 80-82, 84, 85, 87.

I just need assurance that this is bad design before I make changes. (database was created by more db knowledgable folk).

To correct the design I would create new "species" and "years available" tables and join them in a one to many relationship with the original table. Or is this necessary and I should just leave this simple structure as it is?

casey

Registered User.
Local time
More info

More info needed to answer the question correctly.

If you have tables containing multiple records in a single fields(i.e. 69, 72, 80-82, 84, 85, 87 in a field) then your predecessors might not be as knowledgable as you think. I would assume that these flaws were made as a result of not knowing how to get desired results by setting up a correct design.

You're on to something, but be careful when changing anything until you get feedback from the people who'll be using the db. You should make sure that the changes are of benefit to them and it's what they want. I have come across situations where db's have been set up incorrectly, but only because the application called for nothing more. If the db gives them the info they need and changing the structure would require loads of data entry, then it may be more effort than it's worth at this point.

However, if you are beginning from new, then there's no better time to do it the right way. If you can obtain desired results w/ a more robust design, then go for it.

sueviolet

Registered User.
Local time
Good Advice

Thanks for taking the time to respond

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom