Is this right to put this on my Resume? (1 Viewer)

prabha_friend

Prabhakaran Karuppaih
Local time
Today, 07:22
Objective:

Want to settle with a company for the rest of my career.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Yesterday, 21:52
I would advise against it. However, a lot depends on the local culture and I note that you have listed your location as Mumbai. I am not familiar with the type of resume a company in your area would be expecting.

Additionally, accepting a job based on the premise of staying there for your entire career could lead to future complications. You may find (after some time) that the company you are working for has changed and is no longer relevant to your career and/or personal life. You may also find (as time passes) other companies that may offer you better career/personal opportunities.

Wish you the best of luck.

SimplySarah

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 18:52
I would also not put it in. You want to always promote yourself as being ready and willing to learn, grow, and develop. There should always be something else, some bigger goal on the horizon. It may be that you realize this all with one company that you finish off your career with, but you can put the emphasis more on continuing to grow and develop in your field. I think settle in general just doesn't have the greatest connotations and I wouldn't use that word on a CV.

Besides, when applying for work you also want to tailor it towards why this company and why this job. Your objective then should have something to do with the position that you are applying for.

So, as an example, you are applying for a data analyst position, your objective would be to further refine your data analytical skills within this position and become an integral part of their team.

Or something like that. It's not what the company can do for you, but what you can do for the company.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 20:52
In the Japanese business culture of 50 years ago, lifetime employment with a single company worked OK. However, business pressures have even led modern Japanese business to take this attitude: You can have the job until you don't want it any more OR until you can't do it any more OR until someone better and cheaper comes along.

Stating a goal of "lifetime employment" is unrealistic these days and as such, MIGHT even be taken as a negative factor in deciding to hire you.

In terms of your mental well-being, you want job security - but unless you join a strong labor union, that is unlikely to happen. For most modern business, the better attitude (to keep you sane) is to recognize that LIFE is uncertain and business is just a part of that life. Making a life-long commitment causes you to make your job so much of your life that you can easily neglect other parts of that life - like family and friends. You become what we in the USA call a "workaholic" - which means that you become morbidly addicted to your job. This is always a bad thing.

I eventually learned that to be mentally healthy, I had to remember that with regard to you and your employers, the books are re-balanced every time you get a paycheck. If times, situations, requirements, or your educational levels change, you owe it to yourself to be willing to escape deteriorating situations. Stating a goal of "life-long employment" might be true, but you don't want to state it outright. It makes you sound desperate, which is when the employer realizes he can EXPLOIT you rather than just EMPLOY you. I hope you understand the difference.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Yesterday, 21:52
I would also advise against it. I know in the US Corporate World, it seems that in order to advance, you have to expect to move companies. I've been lucky enough to stay in the same company for over a decade and see my career path grow, but I know from watching others who have come and gone that it's a rarity these days. You seem to advance faster by taking positions in other companies, even when it leads you back to where you started.

I think most modern companies here know that, and do not want someone to be unrealistic on their resume. That may hurt you more than help.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:52
You could argue that creating and working for your own company enables you to 'to settle with a company for the rest of my career.' in the sense you won't fire yourself.

But the company still has to survive in order to do that. The main benefit is you are closer to the top of the decision making process in terms of helping the business to survive to achieve your objective. But then you still need to make the right decisions.

In line with everyone else's comments. Your life is your responsibility, nobody else's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom