Jordan Peterson - a modern day icon or Antichrist? (1 Viewer)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 20:13
After his rapid rise to fame (or notoriety, depending on your stance), Jordan Peterson has had just as rapid a fall. He is currently being detoxed in Russia. I just came across the following sad message on YouTube:

Who he is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_Peterson

Do you consider him to be a modern day icon, or the Antichrist?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Neither one nor the other. In my opinion, over hyped and not really worth listening to.
I know Tony will disagree with that viewpoint 100%.

Mind you I had no idea about his medical issues as described in Wikipedia.
It all sounds very serious.

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 16:13
I Never heard of him before this. Is he a big deal in the UK? looked at the title of the thread and thought he would be far left or far right. I googled him and what I read did not seem all that controversial. A lot of articles labeled him right wing, but he sounded more like a libertarian.
However, I really enjoyed listening to him. He shows how everything with modern thought and modern media is wrong. Here in the US there is no longer any news. We only have opinion shows that tell you what you want to hear and tell you that they are informing you. Everyone slaps their back and feels good. They come in and leave as stupid as they came in. No one can logically argue a point anymore. Everyone is looking for sound bites, drop the Mike moments. It is nice to see actual logic and debate skills, vice screaming of opinions. He could of said the world was flat, but I would still listen because he can frame an argument.

So in this interview he just destroys the idiot news reporter. It is embarrassing how stupid he makes her look. He does it without emotion, without opinion, and is totally polite about it. He uses logic and research and she just keeps looking for a sound bite. She just comes across as another liberal that assumes we all need to be offended about everything. He said men should grow up and women like grown up men. Wow that is controversial. So let me get this straight, men should not grow up and women should like immature men?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
That video went viral. I see its got 19M views now. I found it utterly compelling. Whatever you think of him, there is no doubt he is a very smart guy. His book on Amazon has gone viral. He became well known about a Canadian transgender compulsory language issue.

Wow, nearly 7,000 reviews!

Just to add, he is highly compassionate. Many want to portray him in a bad light, but I just think he wants the best for everybody.

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 16:13
Again I had to google this, and again he sounds like a libertarian to me and not a right winger. I know the Left wants to label anyone who does not support their agenda as a radical right wing fascists. But he states
I've studied authoritarianism for a very long time - for 40 years - and they're started by people's attempts to control the ideological and linguistic territory," he told the BBC. "There's no way I'm going to use words made up by people who are doing that - not a chance."

So he does not have any issue with people's right to choose what they are called, but has issue with this being dictated by an authoritarian govt. The crazy thing is that 30 years ago he would be a hero of the left. Now they just give up all their principles if it does not support their agenda.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
So he does not have any issue with people's right to choose what they are called, but has issue with this being dictated by an authoritarian govt.

That is exactly his point, but it gets distorted. He is happy to choose to call someone "xyz", but not compelled to do it. Yet he is portrayed as someone who refuses to call someone by "xyz" if that was their preference. So they set up a strawman arguement to knock it down. Yet when faced by the brute force of his intellect in person, they are demolished. It is quite astonishing to see.

I thought this was a good talk:

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
@Uncle Gizmo Jordan being interviewed by his daughter, explaining what has happened in the last year.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Thanks for that video Jon. The most poignant thing for me is the last minute or two.

Michaela, has had numerous medical problems all her life and her father fought tooth and nail to protect her and get her through.

And now you see the tables turned, the daughter fighting for and protecting her father, it's a wonderful thing to see...

Reactions: Jon

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom