Laptop switching off itself (1 Viewer)

kabz

Kabz
Local time
Tomorrow, 01:45
Hi everyone,

my Dell P3 Laptop has started switching itself off everytime its booting-when i press the power button it starts to boot but when windows starts it switching off by itself.Sometimes everying opens and when i starting working suddenly it switches off.

Thank you.

GaryPanic

Smoke me a Kipper,Skipper
Local time
Today, 15:45
Hi everyone,

my Dell P3 Laptop has started switching itself off everytime its booting-when i press the power button it starts to boot but when windows starts it switching off by itself.Sometimes everying opens and when i starting working suddenly it switches off.

Thank you.

is it when you have them mains plug in or when running off batteries -
if its when off batteries then its broken - either new batteries or new laptop

kabz

Kabz
Local time
is it when you have them mains plug in or when running off batteries -
if its when off batteries then its broken - either new batteries or new laptop

when have plug in the mains,my battery dosent keep any power

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:45
Put it in your fridge (put it in a waterproof bag) for about an hour then try again - does it gets any further into boot ? If so your CPU fan might be busted it's not expensive to get this fixed.

rainman89

I cant find the any key..
Local time
Today, 18:45
could be the ps. some laptops have a problem with over heating. Try minkeys solution. Another thing is you could be throwing a hardware error OR you MB could be fried too

jaytheguru

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 23:45
Hi everyone,

Thank you.

There are number of issues here.

1: When you switch on your laptop via mains, does your laptop runs very fast?
2: when it reaches windows logo screen, does it passes that stage?
3: does it show your user login names? and if it does. Does it shuts down when you click on the name or does it shuts down when showing the user login names.

Over heating issues can be caused by dust jammed inside the laptop heatsink or fan. I have repaired and had so many laptops which had thick dust jammed on their heatsinks. similar case with fans.

If it has been doing quite alot of times, it is always best to get it cleaned by a professional Computer Repair shop or your CPU will be cooked soon.

On the other hand it could be your operating system. Most of the time Windows when gets a hardware error it restarts or shuts down the pc totally. This could the case, it could be a spyware as well. There has been cases in which we had to take the drive out and clean it.

There could be anything, Please provide more info on your problem including the make and model of your laptop.

Many Thanks

jaytheguru

Registered User.
Local time
Hi everyone,

Thank you.

There are number of issues here.

1: When you switch on your laptop via mains, does your laptop runs very fast?
2: when it reaches windows logo screen, does it passes that stage?
3: does it show your user login names? and if it does. Does it shuts down when you click on the name or does it shuts down when showing the user login names.

Over heating issues can be caused by dust jammed inside the laptop heatsink or fan. I have repaired and had so many laptops which had thick dust jammed on their heatsinks. similar case with fans.

If it has been doing quite alot of times, it is always best to get it cleaned by a professional Computer Repair shop or your CPU will be cooked soon.

On the other hand it could be your operating system. Most of the time Windows when gets a hardware error it restarts or shuts down the pc totally. This could the case, it could be a spyware as well. There has been cases in which we had to take the drive out and clean it.

There could be anything, Please provide more info on your problem including the make and model of your laptop.

Many Thanks

kabz

Kabz
Local time
its a Dell Latitude CPx,PIII.

sometimes it shuts down before it shows the Windows logo,other times after i logon for 5 minutes.Sometimes it cant even start but shows that the AC is connected..other times it works properly but it gets really hot underneath CPU position..

rainman89

Local time
grab an aersol and spray it in the fan holes on the side... see if that clears up some of the junk.. if not... you might be look at taking it apart... which is tricky if youve never done it/seen it done before

kabz

Kabz
Local time
grab an aersol and spray it in the fan holes on the side... see if that clears up some of the junk.. if not... you might be look at taking it apart... which is tricky if youve never done it/seen it done before

i will take it apart..well have done that before so its no problem..

jaytheguru

Registered User.
Local time

This is for sure the heating issue then, if you have opened it before and you are confident then I would say to open it up and clean it.

Also I would suggest to check your Task Manager when it is running and check the processes, it might be some process/processes are taking alot of cpu. In that case run antivirus and antispyware on your laptop. It might be iexplorer.exe or svchost.exe or some other process is taking 100% cpu and is causing this issue.

try these things and please keep posting and letting us know.

Regards

rainman89

Local time
This is for sure the heating issue then, if you have opened it before and you are confident then I would say to open it up and clean it.

Also I would suggest to check your Task Manager when it is running and check the processes, it might be some process/processes are taking alot of cpu. In that case run antivirus and antispyware on your laptop. It might be iexplorer.exe or svchost.exe or some other process is taking 100% cpu and is causing this issue.

try these things and please keep posting and letting us know.

Regards

good idea... except he is saying that he often cannot even get it to boot.

jaytheguru

Registered User.
Local time
good idea... except he is saying that he often cannot even get it to boot.

I persume his battery is not getting charged either and he uses mains power adaptor to run the laptop. It could be the DC jack which could be faulty. he needs to check the power connector and see if the power distribution is correct.

Now we really need to know what he means by not booting up, does he mean that it switches on (meaning the lights come on and he can hear laptop running but nothing comes on the screen. That could be that processor is not running or the hard drive didnt picked up. If thats not the case and he can see no lights on then that means its the power distribution problem.

Regards

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:45

Have you tried my suggestion first ? by cooling the laptop down the laptop will heat up slower so if it boots further overheating is this is the likely cause.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
this is late on this thread

i have a dell laptop which took to turning itself off. when it did that, it wouldn't start again until it got cold. Happened occasionally, then gradually got worse

im sure its a cpu overheating, but i cant get anyone to service it. Ive tried compressed air.

Is it safe to open these things, or can u trash everything

--------
data's not a problem ive got a new one now, just would be nice to get it going again

jaytheguru

Registered User.
Local time
this is late on this thread

i have a dell laptop which took to turning itself off. when it did that, it wouldn't start again until it got cold. Happened occasionally, then gradually got worse

im sure its a cpu overheating, but i cant get anyone to service it. Ive tried compressed air.

Is it safe to open these things, or can u trash everything

--------
data's not a problem ive got a new one now, just would be nice to get it going again

Opening these things is bit hard as there are so many hidden places (hinges, some are screwed up and some are plastic hinges in awkward places). If you really want to open it, make sure you have a small screwdriver, a box where you will keep all the screws (screws are really small and most of the time they are different sizes, so make sure you mark the places). Once its open check out the heatsink side as there must be fluff stuck to it. Usually the fluff stops the air to flow properly hence making the cpu heatup. Also if you can buy a cpu heatsink paste, they are usually £4-£5, take off the heatsink from the processor and clean it with a card (you can use old debt card or any plastic card. DONOT use any metal stick to clean the heatsink it will ruin it.) Once cleaned, put the new paste on it and stick the heatsink back onto the processor. Close the laptop and see if it runs any better.
Please Note: Some laptops are very easy to open, you just need to open the keyboard and under the keyboard you can find the processor with heatsink on top...this varies laptop to laptop.

If you want a full detailed info please post your laptop model number and I'll see if I can help any further.

Best of Luck.

Regards

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom