Learn Python (1 Viewer)

tmyers

Local time
Today, 12:25
Being all the code guru's several of you are, would anyone happen to have a nice resource that could facilitate me learning Python? I am wanting to get more into coding and learning and a friend of mine who is a full stack dev highly suggested I learn Python (while also heavily pushing C# since that is his main language).

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:25
Hi. I would have to ask what your goal is for learning Python. I tried to learn Python too, thinking I could create a website with it; but unless I misunderstood how to really use it, I couldn't figure out how to use it on a website. So, I had to switch to learning PHP instead.

tmyers

Local time
Hi. I would have to ask what your goal is for learning Python. I tried to learn Python too, thinking I could create a website with it; but unless I misunderstood how to really use it, I couldn't figure out how to use it on a website. So, I had to switch to learning PHP instead.
It was mostly a suggestion from my friend as he said its supposedly bar none the most popular programming language currently and is highly looked for and would be a solid language to learn if I wanted to possibly look to switching careers. He also highly recommended C# as it (in his words) is the defacto language in a lot of programming.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
It was mostly a suggestion from my friend as he said its supposedly bar none the most popular programming language currently and is highly looked for and would be a solid language to learn if I wanted to possibly look to switching careers. He also highly recommended C# as it (in his words) is the defacto language in a lot of programming.
So, I think you would have to define what "programming" means, in your friend's context. Would you like to learn how to create video games? Or, did you want to create a statistical analysis application? Etc. Like I said, I couldn't understand how to use Python for a website. So, I have the impression Python can only be used to create something for the Desktop (I could be wrong though). On the other hand, C# can create Desktop and Web Applications; but then again, so can other languages too. Cheers!

tmyers

Local time
Creating websites and/or analysis applications is the direction I would probably go. As much fun as I have had making an Access db, I have learned that I am not very good at it :ROFLMAO:

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Creating websites and/or analysis applications is the direction I would probably go. As much fun as I have had making an Access db, I have learned that I am not very good at it :ROFLMAO:
As I said earlier, I couldn't figure out how to use Python for a website. So, if that's what you want to do, then you may have to learn C# instead, based on your friend's suggestion. I, on the other hand, decided to try PHP. Right now, I only know a little bit about it and use it on my website (along with some JS).

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
My ambition to learn python waned. I did peek at some resources that may be of help. I had even written a small script to connect, over my LAN, to MariaDB. Never went further than that. Some of the links below may be dated.

Last edited:

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
would anyone happen to have a nice resource that could facilitate me learning Python?
I have had great luck with Safari / O'Reilly subscriptions. Good luck!

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:25
I like Udemy for courses. You can get most courses there for £10 to £15 if you know how.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom