Let's rebuild! (1 Viewer)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 21:36
Ok, lets start afresh. Please give me your suggestions for making this a better forum. What forum topics do you want? Same as before? Different? I need your feedback!

JRJR-

Local time
Today, 13:36
Gee, I thought the old structure was just fine. It was broken down into sections that seemed to work well. Why fix it if it ain't broke?

Ally

Registered User.
Local time
Ditto JRJR! I thought it was great.

One thing - I find searching quite hard. Maybe some extra help in how to do searches as I'm sure I'd find more of what I'm looking for!

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
The only thing that popped into my head regarding this was the possibility of creating some method of adding keywords or a topic flag of some kind to a thread. I know that's a vague suggestion but my biggest problem I've encountered searching the forums is that I know what I'm trying to do but I don't know the right term to search for, so even if my answer is out there already I can't find it. If there's anything that can be implemented that would make the search engine smarter, I think it would greatly improve the quality of the forums and reduce the sheer bulk of redundant threads.

seth_belgium

WoW-Addict
Local time
Today, 22:36
A kind of FAQ-section where the answers are given to the most asked questions. There theads would only contain one post in which the answer is explained by one person. That way you'd avoid that people have to read entire threads to find out what the answer is.

Kinda like microsofts knowledgebase...

What also would be nice is the ability to rate replies (to determine it's usefullness).

Another thing that pops in my head: A mod that shows wether a question has been answered or not. The person that originally posted the question would have the ability to close his question when a satisfying answer has been given.

shades

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:36
Three suggestions:

1. I liked the old forum setup.

2. Search capabilities should be enhanced.

3. Backup, backup, backup :)
[On some forums (not related to software), I always write my responses in a word processor, and keep all other responses for a backup flow of the threads I'm interested in. I know this wouldn't work here, but database backup, and possibily in two locations.]
________
Sr50R

Last edited:

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 16:36
We definitely need the other software, windows, and hardware areas back as that's where I was the most help. ;)

keiths

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:36
Section to deal with graphs and charts

I have found there is a real need for a section that deals with graphs and charts. There is some really good posts/suggestions that are scattered all over in outlying areas. It seems like lots of people are using them in their databases, or having a link to excel.

Just a thought....

bat1799

Registered User.
Local time
Maybe a little traitorous, but I have just downloaded OO2 and am bound to need help with it!
So maybe a forum for OO2?

Peter

The Stoat

The Grim Squeaker
Local time
Hi,

I've used this forum in one guise or another for 5 years. I was sad to get the e-mail from the knob that hacked the site what a waste of effort! Anyway i hope it all gets up and running soon. TBH the loss of the watercooler would be no bad thing. Sad to say but it's stopped being much fun years ago. On a more positive note a graphs and chart section is an excellent idea.

Good luck

TS

GaryPanic

Smoke me a Kipper,Skipper
Local time
Today, 13:36
possible help to some people

What would be nice is a Code cook boot - for those littel snipets of info and also rebuilding the same D/bases - as these have given me insight and help into Access -

i do have a bout 6 or 7 of the dbase downloaded - quite happy to whizz back
combo box example
simple tree view
usefuldate functions
multivaluesearch
calender
Dynamictxl (no idea on this one - downloaded to see what it does)
and a couple more

:cool:

JoeSanders

Local time
GaryPanic said:
What would be nice is a Code cook boot - for those littel snipets of info and also rebuilding the same D/bases - as these have given me insight and help into Access -

i do have a bout 6 or 7 of the dbase downloaded - quite happy to whizz back
combo box example
simple tree view
usefuldate functions
multivaluesearch
calender
Dynamictxl (no idea on this one - downloaded to see what it does)
and a couple more

:cool:

I have several as well.

Kodo

"The Shoe"
Local time
I know this is primarily an access site but the focus of MS has moved in the general direction of .NET. Office 12 uses a lot of mixed .NET and C++ code. .NET 2.0 and more specifically, VS.NET (standard+) have office integration tools built in. I believe that it would beneficial to everyone to have a .NET section as I'm sure people will come accross this site in their search for Access / .NET type questions.

My suggestion is two fold:
1. Have one section with one forum for all .net 1.1. Since 2.0 is out and, you're starting from scratch, I wouldn't mess with doing with 1.1 what I am going to suggest for 2.0.

2. Have another section for .NET 2.0. Under this section have several forums listed like this

-NET 2.0 (Section, not forum)
-ASP.NET(Section,not forum
---VB(forum)
---C#(forum)
-Winforms(Section, not forum)
---VB(Section)
---C#(Section)
-SQL Server 2005(Section,not forum)
--Stored Procedures
--DB Design
--Administration

Or some variation thereof.

Last edited:

bat1799

Registered User.
Local time
And maybe a more serious "watercooler" area with no flaming and threads are not hijacked.
This will give more chance for disscussion about the forums and how they are run and new ideas to appear.
Not saying that the old should go :) just to add a moderated section.

Peter

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
bat1799 said:
And maybe a more serious "watercooler" area with no flaming and threads are not hijacked.
This will give more chance for disscussion about the forums and how they are run and new ideas to appear.
Not saying that the old should go :) just to add a moderated section.

Peter

You're kidding right?

BarryMK

4 strings are enough
Local time
The Stoat said:
TBH the loss of the watercooler would be no bad thing. Sad to say but it's stopped being much fun years ago.
TS

I thought the whole point of the watercooler was a free "time out" area where rules are fairly relaxed. Personally I wouldn't have a problem with an additional, more formal discussion area where contributors would participate on their best behaviour but as for modeating it - who'd want the job.

My feeling is that the existing 'cooler should remain as is. Although some "discussions" have been a little heated at times and you risk getting hi-jacked by those of us who like puncturing the pompous and knobbling the know-alls, it probably represents the real world pretty well so get over it;).

As for the rest of the site I concur with those who'd like to see a more logical search function. Maybe one search based wholly on the subject lines and one based on thread content only?

ps
I sincerely wish for a plague of painful boils on the genitalia (if they have any) of the tw*t responsible.for hacking the site.

R

Rich

BarryMK said:
I sincerely wish for a plague of painful boils on the genitalia (if they have any) of the tw*t responsible.for hacking the site.

Now, now Barry, we've moved on since the days of barbarism, we should arrange a private phosphorus firework display with him as the only guest

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
A moderators forum, for a start, that's only visible to the moderators.

A decent set of forum guidelines listed in one sticky rather than all over the place and most implied rather than explicitly stated. I suppose the power to act on the rulings; I know, for instance, that you have a 'no links in signature' policy (harsh, in my opinion, but your call) but it's impossible to stop people from doing it.

I'd like a nice logo, too and maybe a few changes from the default colour scheme to take the forum away from looking like almost every vBulletin forum out there.

As for the forums, a return of the Excel and Word forums, along with Windows, etc. I suppose Visual Basic and .NET forums but I'm not too sure about the PHP, (X)HTML, CSS etc. forums unless you were to consider changing the domain since I don't think these really come under the category of "Access World Forums".

A return of the Site Suggestions forum with a regular response from Jon would be nice. There was so many threads with ideas and questions that just went unanswered in that area.

If you can add a little bit into the forum's code that means people have to reach a certain amount of posts before they get PM privileges. I get so many PMs from people asking stuff when they are sitting with a post count of 0.

Get rid of the macros forum; their use is something generally discouraged.

For an FAQ forum, a well thought out system and a clearer description. Previously anyone could post to the FAQ forum but it had to be moderated. There was hundreds, literally, of posts sitting in a queue where people hadn't bothered to note that it was for set FAQs. In essence, hundreds of questions went unanswered there.

I also wonder if it might be an idea to add the vBulletin portal mod to the forum in order to create better, more managable, repositories which would also allow for RSS feeds. Take, for example, this site, Palimpsest.

Overall, though, it's your forum. What's your vision? Where do you want it to go? What do you want it to be?

The Stoat

The Grim Squeaker
Local time
BarryMK said:
I thought the whole point of the watercooler was a free "time out" area where rules are fairly relaxed. Personally I wouldn't have a problem with an additional, more formal discussion area where contributors would participate on their best behaviour but as for modeating it - who'd want the job.

My feeling is that the existing 'cooler should remain as is. Although some "discussions" have been a little heated at times and you risk getting hi-jacked by those of us who like puncturing the pompous and knobbling the know-alls, it probably represents the real world pretty well so get over it;).

As for the rest of the site I concur with those who'd like to see a more logical search function. Maybe one search based wholly on the subject lines and one based on thread content only?

ps

It wasn't me who suggested moderating it ;) I suggested binning it all together :eek: :D I don't have anything to get over and as for the real world well... my life doesn't actually involve circular arguments for 2 years about 1 subject sorry for you if that's your life :p It's just got really tedious having every thread hijacked, there's plenty of places on the internet for that kind of discussion. It used to be a laugh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom