Looking for ideas...got any? (1 Viewer)

lipin

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:25
I have an application that several users will be using to input data in a high traffic area in a warehouse. Sometimes these users are required to leave their workstation for a few minutes to check things out. I need a way to shut down their screen while they are gone so no one else can alter data. But I don't want user to have to log off and then back in. I was hoping for a fast way, perhaps a keyboard function(or access button?) to change screen to screen saver, and just letting the user set their own screensaver password. Is this possible? Or am I way off? Maybe a blank access screen(form) that they can get to with a click from any form in DB and then they can enter their login password again to close that form and take them back to where they were?

I would really like to try the screen saver idea if anyone knows how. Thanks.

lipin

Registered User.
Local time
I know in WinNT you can CTRL + ALT + DEL and you get an option to lock workstation but I am stuck in Win98 land and need a similar function without waiting on the screen saver timer.

Newman

Québécois
Local time
Today, 05:25
In System32, you'll find your screen savers.
Bring one of them as shortcut on your main screen.
When they leave their computers, they just have to click on it to make it running.
Newman

lipin

Registered User.
Local time
I know how to make a shortcut, but how do I get it onto a form?

Newman

Québécois
Local time
If you don't want to install the shortcut on every computer, you could create a command button and add this code to the OnClick:

Dim stAppName As String
stAppName = "FILL HERE with Path to screen saver"
Call Shell(stAppName, 1)

But finding where to put it in your db (Probably in every form used by those guys) may take more time than installing the shorcut.

Newman

Newman

Québécois
Local time
If you have your own menus, you could put the link in there. But the only way I know of doing so would be creating an icon that opens a form which, on open, would have the code I sent earlier.
Newman

lipin

Registered User.
Local time
I am trying the command button with the path. Here is what I tried:

Dim stAppName As String
stAppName = "c:\windows\system\3d pipes.scr"
Call Shell(stAppName, 1)

and when I click the button a window opens to set the properties and options for the pipes screen saver

tried other screen savers and get same results.

When I go to windows explorer and click the file to open it it goes right into the screen saver.

What am I doing wrong with the button?

Newman

Québécois
Local time
Sorry I forgot something... (add «-s» after .scr)

Dim stAppName As String
stAppName = "c:\windows\system\3d pipes.scr -s"
Call Shell(stAppName, 1)

Newman

susanmorr

Local time
Today, 19:25
I was wondering if I could use this method to access the calculator from a Data Access Page in another application (via IE).
I have tried the code but its not working.
Please bear with me, I am very new at this, I have a couple of questions

1. re the code <<stAppName>> is that what I type, or is it <<stCalc.exe>> or <<stCalculator>> or what???

2. I'm getting an IE script error which says "Line 36 Char 11 Unexpected end of statement"

this is one of my many efforts

Dim stCalc.exe As String
stCalc.exe="C:\WINNT\system32\calc.exe-s"
Call Shell(stCalc.exe, 1)

(counting down line 36 is the 2nd line of the code)

thanks

Newman

Québécois
Local time
1- This is a variable, so you can give any name you want but names that are used in VB (Ex.: Print, Goto, Select, ...) You could use the same name than before (stAppName) or stCalculator or even ThisIsMyLinkToTheCalculator. But do not use extensions (ie: .exe, .doc, ...)
I usualy use stAppName 'cause most of the programmers would understand that this is a variable dimmed as String (with the «st»), and that it is used for an application name (with the «AppName»)

2- Do not use the «-s» in this case. This is used to bypass the setup page for the screen saver. Since there is no setup page here, forget about it.

This is the code that you should use:

Dim stAppName As String
stAppName = "C:\WINNT\system32\calc.exe"
Call Shell(stAppName, 1)

Newman

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom