Question Lost table relationships during conversion from MS 2003 to 2007 (1 Viewer)

atol

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:03
Hello folks,
Many thanks for all help i have received in this wonderful forum. I have experienced a very strange situation. When I converted my database from Access 2003 to 2007, for some reason i don's see all table relationships anymore. Now I am trying to restore by manually relinking them, but for some, when i attepmpted, i am getting messages saying that there is referential integrity issue, and i have to fix whichever table before creating the relationship. I am really concerned how to fix it as i need to build some more database features, but i want to make sure i am not loosing any data. Any thoughts or advice will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Atol

DCrake

Remembered
Local time
Today, 05:03
When you converted it did you ask it to include the relationships? I fear not. I would start again and this time set the tick box to yes.

Anyway are we talking about the front end or the bock end because the back end is where the relationships should be maintained.

atol

Registered User.
Local time
DCrake, thanks!
That might be the key. However, the database is already in use in 2007, and data is olready updated. I guess i have to get some readings on how to move it back to 2003 and then convert to 2007? I guess my problem is that i am not sure how to do it. But dont want to waste your time, if there is somewhere I can read about that.

atol

Registered User.
Local time
DCrake,
I missed to answer the second question you asked. I actually do not have the database split. If you have any recomendation how to start that would be great.
Doe example, if I try to open the database in 2003 version, would it restore the relationships? Thanks again!

DCrake

Remembered
Local time
Today, 05:03
First of all make a copy of your 2003 version

next see if all the relationships still exist in the 2003 version.

If they do....

Create a new blank database in 2007
Open this up and link all the tables from the 2003 database
Next import all the remaining objects into 2007. Queries, forms, reports, etc

Try designing a few queries

Do it show your relationships in the designer?

If so....

Go to the 2003 version and delete all the objects except tables.
Compact and Repair

This will now be your backend. It does not matter that it is an mdb instead of an accdb. But if you want to you can convert it to an accdb. But if you do so you will need to relink your tables in the front end to the new acdb.

So what you end up with is your UI (Front end) with all the queries, forms, reports,etc. Linking to your back end data.

Another thing to consider before you link the tables is to place the back end on the shared server where it is to be stored in the live environment then link the tables. This saves you relinking them should you need to move the back end after the exercise.

But remember, keep making backups as you go along, just in case anything cocks up.

atol

Registered User.
Local time
DCrake, thanks a lot for the advices.
I do have a copy of my 2003 version and all tables are linked correctly. I will spend my day tomorrow to get this thru and hope i have some luck to get it done.
Much appreciated!
Atol

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom