Unrecognised Database Format - Data migration issue? (1 Viewer)

Local time
Today, 11:54
Hi,

I've just migrated several thousand records into my client's database from an old system and have started to get 3343 unrecognised database format a couple of times a week since then. It's fair to say I've also made a few changes to the code during this time and on the day that the error first came up there was an error previously in the day where chinese characters appeared in several text boxes on a form.

For the data migration I exported all the data into Excel and did all the transformation work there to make it fit the current system. So all I had to do was append the data rows from the Excel sheet directly into each table. The current system is split so I was only working with the backend. May be I did something wrong in this process. I didn't do anything to the autonumber fields or the database relationships in Access. I put the autonumber ID values in the spreadsheets and just loaded each table in order to avoid any record integrity issues. It's the first time I've done this.

To try to fix the issue I rebuilt the backend using the client's desktop and software just incase there were any incompatibilities between my system and theirs (I'm up to date with Office and Access, they're 6 months behind). A couple of days after that the problem reoccurred. The error always occurs at the same point when searching for a client record. That particular part of the system gets used all the time. I haven't spotted a particular pattern so it could be intermittent. A compact and repair gets the database running again, no records appear to be corrupted.

The chinese characters issue might be a red herring. The database error has since occurred without chinese characters being in the database. I haven't looked at the code changes yet but I'll see about backing those changes out once I've excluded the migration from my list of suspects.

Is it possible that there is something in the migrated data that is causing the issue - but I am not experiencing the same problem in my dev environment. May be the 6 months difference in software patches is causing the issue so I'm going to rebuild the front end (and the back end again) on their desktop using their software and see if that makes a difference. Meanwhile the client is getting frustrated which is why I'm asking here if anyone has any other suggestions I could try.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom