Many to Many ODBC Hell (1 Viewer)

ericmrosenberg

Local time
Today, 14:18
Help! I have a mysql database with three tables:
Events, Groups (who sponsor the events) and Events_groups, which is a many to many table of groups and sponsors.

I am trying to use access to enter data into the mysql database through ODBC, because I don't know a thing about building a php gui for data entry, but I am a solidly mediocre access hack.

So, both the Events table and the Groups table have auto increment. Currently I have a Groups Form, with subform for Events_groups and then a sub sub form for Events. The problem is that Events_Groups does not update.

I suspect my approach is entirely wrong --

Eric

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 22:18
Eric

Why not try first to get it to work entirely in Access. When that works then it will be simple to rewrite it using ODBC tables on MYsql.

ericmrosenberg

Local time
Today, 14:18
Thank you

Thank you Rabbie,
I decided to do the whole thing in Access. Of course, I still cant get access to properly work my many to many tables, but that is for another post.

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 22:18
Thank you Rabbie,
I decided to do the whole thing in Access. Of course, I still cant get access to properly work my many to many tables, but that is for another post.
Is this issue now resolved? In relational databases use a junction table to model a Many to Many relationship. The junction table holds Foreign Kys from the two other tables so you are effectively modelling two 1 to Many relationships

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom