Mark a Thread as "Solved" (1 Viewer)

Knildon

Learning by Default
Local time
Today, 17:44
Mark a Thread as "Solved" - SOLVED

Hello everyone,
How can I mark my Thread as "Solved" or somehow show that my question has been answered by looking at the Thread in the category listing.
I found an answer to my own question and posted it in my thread. The problem is that when you look ay my Thread it still looks as though the question has not been answered unless you open the Thread and read through the posts.
Please let me know if this can be done.
Thanks,
Don
:)

Last edited:

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
It would be nice to have this ability. I'll forward this to Site Suggestions and maybe it's something Jon can look into. I know I've seen it on other forums. It would be a great tool in letting us know who still needs help and who doesn't. Right now, the typical method of judging by post count isn't very appropriate.

Knildon

Learning by Default
Local time
Vassago,
Thanks for the reply. I did a lot of reading on the forum before I posted the question. I didn't want to ask a question that had an answer in plain sight!!!
Thanks again, I can quit looking for an answer. :)

Don

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Vassago,
Thanks for the reply. I did a lot of reading on the forum before I posted the question. I didn't want to ask a question that had an answer in plain sight!!!
Thanks again, I can quit looking for an answer. :)

Don

Yeah. I really do think it would be a nice feature to have. Jon will have to decide if it's feasible.

And... GO STEELERS! ;)

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I like it too. It saves a lot of wasted reading when you're searching for answers.

cookiegary01

I scream Ice cream
Local time
Today, 23:44
The idea is great, will be very nice to have.
How about including another feature: mark thread as "Reply in process".
Anybody who is preparing a reply, marks the thread as such.
That will prevent "double replies". Also it gives info to the requestor, that his/her problem is being worked on.

bob fitz

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 22:44
The idea is great, will be very nice to have.
How about including another feature: mark thread as "Reply in process".
Anybody who is preparing a reply, marks the thread as such.
That will prevent "double replies". Also it gives info to the requestor, that his/her problem is being worked on.

I agree with this whole heartedly.

spenzer

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 05:44
This would be awesome feature; and I think it's long overdue, I've seen 2 or 3 access forums with indicators already. Now c'mon, the best access forum is still old school!:p

mdlueck

Sr. Application Developer
Local time
I have noticed that even if I edit the subject line of the first post on a discussion thread, the subject line in the message list does not update. So going back to add [SOLVED] to the msg subject line seems a bit tricky with this forum software.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 14:44
Umm, this already exists. There is a drop down next to the subject line when you post from ADVANCED MODE. So, if you go back to your original post, click EDIT and then click GO ADVANCED, you should see a drop down to the left of the subject text box which has values of (no prefix), TIP, Question, Solved. Just change it there and save your post.

mdlueck

Local time
Umm, this already exists. There is a drop down next to the subject line when you post from ADVANCED MODE.

Yes Bob, that was added as a capability after the thread was started.

Bob, how about what I reported in my ancient #9 post? I believe I have tested since the add post category/prefix was added and I am still unable to rename the thread (to correct speling mistake) and have the correction appear in the forum thread list. Going into the post shows the corrected title, but I am quite sure the title in the form thread list does not get updated. Sort of unintuitive.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Yes Bob, that was added as a capability after the thread was started.

Bob, how about what I reported in my ancient #9 post? I believe I have tested since the add post category/prefix was added and I am still unable to rename the thread (to correct speling mistake) and have the correction appear in the forum thread list. Going into the post shows the corrected title, but I am quite sure the title in the form thread list does not get updated. Sort of unintuitive.

In order to fix the title for the entire thread, you just need to go to the FIRST POST in the thread and then CLICK EDIT > GO ADVANCED and there you can modify the subject title and that will show in the thread list (that's where I frequently go to correct user errors but it isn't just limited to moderators as you can edit your own thread starting post).

mdlueck

Local time
In order to fix the title for the entire thread, you just need to go to the FIRST POST in the thread and then CLICK EDIT > GO ADVANCED and there you can modify the subject title and that will show in the thread list (that's where I frequently go to correct user errors but it isn't just limited to moderators as you can edit your own thread starting post).

I have done that, exactly that, return to the group message list, refresh, and the error in the message subject persists. I click the message thread, and the top / first post has my corrected subject line. At that point I stop trying to fix it.

Ahhh, I know of such a thread... this one...
http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=219149

I changed the subject line of the first post to this:
"Example of SQL INSERT / UPDATE using ADODB.Command and ADODB.Parameters objects"

Here is the page of that group the thread currently appears on:
http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=63&order=desc&page=2

On that page the subject appears as the original:
"Example of SQL INSERT using ADODB.Command and ADODB.Parameters objects"

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
I have done that, exactly that, return to the group message list, refresh, and the error in the message subject persists. I click the message thread, and the top / first post has my corrected subject line. At that point I stop trying to fix it.

Ahhh, I know of such a thread... this one...
http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=219149

I changed the subject line of the first post to this:
"Example of SQL INSERT / UPDATE using ADODB.Command and ADODB.Parameters objects"

Here is the page of that group the thread currently appears on:
http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=63&order=desc&page=2

On that page the subject appears as the original:
"Example of SQL INSERT using ADODB.Command and ADODB.Parameters objects"
Your problem is not due to editing of the subject line not working. It is that the category where you tried this is one where moderator approvals are required and hence you can't just change the title.

If you do it in a regular forum area (not Code Repository, not Database Samples, not Microsoft Access Tutorials), you should be able to do it just fine.

(by the way I went and changed the title for you in the example you provided)

mdlueck

Local time
Bravo Bob! :cool:

Thank you for explaining in detail.

Knildon

Learning by Default
Local time
Bob,
I can't find the drop down as you suggested.
Umm, this already exists. There is a drop down next to the subject line when you post from ADVANCED MODE. So, if you go back to your original post, click EDIT and then click GO ADVANCED, you should see a drop down to the left of the subject text box which has values of (no prefix), TIP, Question, Solved. Just change it there and save your post.
If you look at the first post in this thread, you will see that I changed the title but it doesn't show up anywhere else.
I know I'm a little bit thick at times but this one has me puzzled.
I even looked at one of my other posts but no drop down there either.
Don:confused:

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Bob,
I can't find the drop down as you suggested.
If you look at the first post in this thread, you will see that I changed the title but it doesn't show up anywhere else.
I know I'm a little bit thick at times but this one has me puzzled.
I even looked at one of my other posts but no drop down there either.
Don:confused:

Okay, I'm learning a bit too as we go through this exercise.

The SOLVED drop down is ONLY available in the GENERAL category under the Microsoft Access Discussion section. So, it looks like we'll need to contact Jon and request that for the other help categories.

That being said, here is how to use it if you are in the General category.

Attachments

• marksolved01.png
    marksolved01.png
    69.1 KB · Views: 446
  • marksolved02.png
    marksolved02.png
    65.8 KB · Views: 437
  • marksolved03.png
    marksolved03.png
    63.3 KB · Views: 441

Knildon

Learning by Default
Local time
Thanks Bob.
I thought I lost it for sure!!!
Don

RandomCoder

Local time
Today, 22:44
Hi, I'm new to the forum and have recently posted my first question which I've managed to answer by myself and posted the solution for others (which I hope will be of some use). I too was looking for the option to update the status to [SOLVED] as editing the first posting title didn't work. This is a great feature to have as it save's people time when searching for relavent threads.

Kind regards,
RandomCoder

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom