Meteor Shower (1 Viewer)

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Today, 08:03
I think it is absolutely amazing - oh the wonders of the natural world and the cosmos we live in.

Kryst51

Singin' in the Hou. Rain
Local time
Today, 10:03
This thread says the starter is Ouma, but the thread itself is posted by Fifty2One? Odd.

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
Today, 16:03
OMG! How did that happen? Do you think Fifty2one is Me and he didnt tell me??? :eek:

Strangely enough, my pc crashed as I was posting this, I didn't think it had been posted at all, very strange, maybe it's the shower that's doing it :D

Kryst51

Singin' in the Hou. Rain
Local time
Today, 10:03
OMG! How did that happen? Do you think Fifty2one is Me and he didnt tell me??? :eek:

Strangely enough, my pc crashed as I was posting this, I didn't think it had been posted at all, very strange, maybe it's the shower that's doing it :D

Doo doo doo doo (Twilight zone theme music)

Endre

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:03
Twilight zone down here too - no shower for us - equator gets in the way, BUT ---- summer is on it's way ---- Yaayyyyy:)

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
One on every corner Groundrush ;)

Well, last night was a bit of a loss, my broomstick packed up so I couldn't fly close enough to see the show, what a bummer.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
One on every corner Groundrush ;)

Well, last night was a bit of a loss, my broomstick packed up so I couldn't fly close enough to see the show, what a bummer.

Why don't you upgrade and get a Hoover upright. It'll be more reliable.

Col

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
Ooh, another South African :)

I guess we better let the rest of the world understand us then :D :

A survival guide for visitors to South Africa & for a better understanding of South Africans

Babbelas
It sounds like something Biblical but is, in fact, the word which describes that awful period - the morning after the night of unwise indulgence. Being babbelas promotes firm commitments to restraint which are often forgotten as the day wears on and the Alka Seltzer takes effect.

Cafe
This is the generic term for convenience stores and it is pronounced "caff"or "cayf." Traditionally operated by people of Portuguese, Greek or Asian ancestry, it is a good place to buy smokes (q.v.), biltong or the Alka Seltzer

Dop
This word has two basic meanings, one good and one bad. First the good. A dop is a drink, a cocktail, a sundowner, a noggin. If you are invited over for a dop, be careful. It could be one or two sedate drinks or a blast, depending on the company you have fallen in with. Now the bad: To dop is to fail. If you dopped Standard Two (Grade 4) more than once, you probably won't be reading this.

Eina
Widely used by all language groups, this word, derived from the Afrikaans,means "ouch." Pronounced "aynah", you can shout it out in sympathy when someone burns his finger on a hot potato at a braai.

Howzit
This is a universal South African greeting, and you will hear this word throughout the land. It is often used with the word "No" as in this exchange: "No, howzit?" "No, fine."

Isit?
This is a great word in conversations. Derived from the two words "is" and "it", it can be used when you have nothing to contribute if someone tells you at the braai: "The Russians will succeed in their bid for capitalism once they adopt a work ethic and respect for private ownership." It is appropriate to respond by saying: "Isit?"

Jawelnofine
This is another conversation fall-back word. Derived from the four words : "yes", "well", "no" (q.v.) and "fine", it means roughly "how about that." If your bank manager tells you your account is overdrawn, you can say with confidence: "Jawelnofine."

Lekker
An Afrikaans word meaning nice, this word is used by all language groups to express approval. If you see someone of the opposite sex who is good-looking, you can exclaim: "Lekkerrr!" while drawing out the last syllable.

Oke
A "guy" or "chap" or "bloke". If you quite like someone you can say: "Ag,he is an OK oke". Instead of "oke" you can also say "ou" which is pronounced "Oh."

Robot
This word charms many visitors. A robot is the familiar red-orange-green traffic light and it is pronounced "roh-bott" or "roh-boh", depending on how much was spent on your education, and your level of pretentiousness. Some folks who still insist on saying roh-boh would consider it odd if you referred to Paris as Paree.

Rooinek
A literal translation of the Afrikaans for "red neck", it is the opposite of what is understood by the term in the United States. A rooinek is not a good old country boy but a good-natured ribbing name for an Englishman, from South Africa's early days. Supposedly, it describes an Englishman's pink complexion on hot, summer days.

Shame
Like "No", this word can mean the opposite of its meaning in other parts of the world. If someone shows you a baby, you can say: "Ag, shame." This does not mean the baby is ugly-it means the baby is cute. If the baby is ugly, it is more accurate to say: "Shame, hey." If the baby is truly hideous, it is appropriate to say: "Jislaaik." This may not be appreciated by the baby's parents.

To Die For
Heard most frequently in the yuppie suburbs of Johannesburg and Cape Town and pronounced "to dah for", this is an expression of approval: "That dress is definitely to die for."

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Today, 08:03
WOW that is strange because I did not start the thread I was replying to Ouma but it would not let me quote the original post...

I hope this is not another case of the disappearing post :eek:

This thread says the starter is Ouma, but the thread itself is posted by Fifty2One? Odd.

statsman

Local time
Today, 11:03
Three days of glorious meteor showers.
Three days of overcast skies.

BLOODY WEATHER

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom