Microsoft Access: Edge Browser Control is finally here :) (1 Viewer)

DalynSoft

Local time
Today, 20:03
I've just updated to version 2312 build 17031.20000 (Beta Channel) and the issues have now both been fixed.
I have checked with the Access team and the fix is now implemented in all builds from 17024.42128 or later
Restart Access for this to be implemented

Please can you check both your test form & mine in the attached & let me know the results
I am still on 2310. I have tested your file and it seems to work ok. My file still has the same problems though. I will wait until I get the update and retest.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 11:33
You will need build 17024.42128 or later to get the fix for your file

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 06:33
I'm on 2311 and I tested your file in post #180.

It works but is painfully slow. It did crash once and made a backup. Not sure why.

Has anyone had any success using .ExecuteJavascript with google embedded maps?
I've written a few classes for geocoding, static maps and embedded maps. The geocoding and static maps were easy but I just cant get the .ExecuteJavascript method to work with embedded maps. I have a work around that executes in about a 1 second but I just cant get it to work with .executeJavascript and IFrames.

embMap.png

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
My example app at Get Current Geolocation (isladogs.co.uk) uses .RetrieveJavascriptValue to pull latitude & longitude for the current location from a local HTML file.

However, although it was working perfectly in the summer, when I just ran it again, the app repeatedly crashed for me.
I'd appreciate it if you would test it and report back before I alert the relevant member of the Access team of another unwanted issue with the new Edge browser control

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
I'll try to give it a go when I get home tonight.

lauro

Local time
Today, 03:33
To distribute an Access solution using the new Edge Browser Control in forms and/or reports, I need at installation time
  • to know if user has already a version of Access with it
  • if doesn't have it, to automatically dowloand the right runtime
Which is the easiest and safest way to achieve this?
Thanks,

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
If its likely that some users have older versions of Access, then either use the old IE control or include both.
Its easy enough to check the Access version in code and then use that info to display just the Edge control or the IE control as appropriate.

However, from memory, the IE control does not work on reports.

As for the runtime question, if you are using an installer program, either include the runtime or possibly add a script to download it from a specified webpage. How you do that would depend on the installer application you are using to distribute your files as a package

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
That's great. (y)

However, the app I mentioned in post #184 still crashes on my machine though it worked perfectly when I published the article.
Unfortunately, @moke123 didn't report back. Perhaps you could try it & let me know what happens

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Sorry Col, I didn't have the Javascript Api key and I didn't get a chance to get it. I'm having my own issues with google embedded maps.
Works fine one minute then stops working for no reason. Static maps are fine.

Very frustrating. Luckily the version I added to my main work app has been working good and has not failed at all. The same code used elsewhere sometimes works, sometimes not.

DalynSoft

Local time
Today, 20:03
That's great. (y)

However, the app I mentioned in post #184 still crashes on my machine though it worked perfectly when I published the article.
Unfortunately, @moke123 didn't report back. Perhaps you could try it & let me know what happens
It also crashed for me when I clicked the get Current Location button. I am running it on a Desktop and I note on your site that it requires a geosensor to work so that might be a problem in my case.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Thanks.
It needs a geosensor to obtain accurate location data.
These are in all tablets, most laptops but only few desktop PCs. However, not having the sensor isn't the cause of it crashing
Something in the Edge browser control is different from last summer, but I've no idea what.

vxr

Local time
I can also confirm that version 2311 build 17029.20068 has broken the navigation for edge browser. I made a "scan management" program using the edge browser to preview PDFs. It is no longer working. Fortunately one of my office PCs had not yet updated to ver 2311 and is still using 2310. I tried and it is working on that version. So I disabled updates until this is fixed.

jimmykent

Local time
Today, 04:33
I doesn't appear to be fixed in the latest runtime release as of today. My application works fine with Microsoft Access Runtime 2016 build 16.0.16924.20150. But after updating to version 16.0.17029.20068 yesterday, the Edge Browser Control won't display a local PDF file as before, or Access simply crashes, i.e., disappears.

Does anyone know how to download previous versions of the runtime?

bonAW

Local time
Today, 05:33
Just stumbled on this development in the MS Access world while looking for a solution to embedding Excel objects in Access forms.
A couple things I've noticed while playing around:

1. The RetrieveJavascriptValue method does support returning JSON objects (which is wonderful) IF you A. use a function expression and B. use the Javascript JSON.stringify method, like so:
Code:
Debug.Print EdgeBrowser.RetrieveJavascriptValue("(function () { let test = {'className': document.querySelector('#main').className}; return JSON.stringify(test);})()")
Result:
1.jpeg

This can then be parsed using a VBA library like VBA-JSON (found on GitHub, which I highly recommend) to load the data into VBA-native objects like dictionary and collection.

2. When using ExecuteJavascript to call a popup box (e.g. alert box), the method returns control to VBA prior to the popup box being closed. RetrieveJavascriptValue returns a timeout error if called while there is a popup box open, whereas a subsequent ExecuteJavascript will be queued and executed when the popup box is closed. I think it would be great if there was a method option to wait for the browser to finish executing the Javascript that was passed to it (which would include waiting for a poopup box to be closed) before returning control to VBA, if that's feasible.

bonAW

Local time
Today, 05:33
Welcome to AWF @bonAW
In case you aren't aware, you can embed JSON objects in Access without using the Edge browser control. For example:

See (LINK OMITTED DUE TO PRIVILEGE LEVEL)

Thank you, glad to be here! And yes I was aware, although not of this specific tool.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
What is this about?
1703862057593.png

When the link is clearly visible in the previous post? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom