Microsoft Access: Edge Browser Control is finally here :) (2 Viewers)

Local time
Today, 01:46
Does anyone know when these issues will be fixed?
1) Allowing spaces in local file names,
2) Having the control in a tab (say tab 3) and updating the link. Links work but the content only briefly shows (sometimes). It doesn't show in the tab again unless a different tab is selected and then the original tab selected again.
1) In the next monthly build, so end of this month/early next month
2) We are unable to repro this, can you share a database and specific repro steps?

DalynSoft

Local time
Today, 18:16
Thanks Joe. Attached is a database example. The tab to look at is the third one.

Attachments

• EdgeBrowserTab3.zip
    28.6 KB · Views: 164

Mohsin Malik

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:46
1) In the next monthly build, so end of this month/early next month
2) We are unable to repro this, can you share a database and specific repro steps?
Hi @JoeJimenezMicrosoft

I hope you're having a great day.

I wanted to bring a bug to your attention regarding the Edge browser control. Today, I noticed that local file references to the network path in the control have stopped working. This issue is occurring in both the current channel and the insiders' build.

To provide some context, any local file paths pointing to a network location are no longer functioning. However, if the local file resides on the user's machine, it continues to work as expected. This issue was noticed today, as these network paths were functioning properly just last week.

Here are a few examples of the network file paths that have stopped working:

On the other hand, local file paths on the user's machine still work fine:

I am reaching out to you to see if you have any insights on this issue or if there is a workaround to make the local file references work again. It would be great if you could provide any information or guidance on this matter or please let me know if this is working fine for you.

Thank you for your time and attention to this matter.

Best regards,
Mohsin

Mohsin Malik

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:46
Does anyone know when these issues will be fixed?
1) Allowing spaces in local file names,
2) Having the control in a tab (say tab 3) and updating the link. Links work but the content only briefly shows (sometimes). It doesn't show in the tab again unless a different tab is selected and then the original tab selected again.
@DalynSoft I am happy to report that the issue with spaces in local file names has been fixed. The Edge browser control now displays files with spaces in their file paths without any problems.

Sachin_Microsoft

Local time
Today, 01:46
Hi @JoeJimenezMicrosoft

I hope you're having a great day.

I wanted to bring a bug to your attention regarding the Edge browser control. Today, I noticed that local file references to the network path in the control have stopped working. This issue is occurring in both the current channel and the insiders' build.

To provide some context, any local file paths pointing to a network location are no longer functioning. However, if the local file resides on the user's machine, it continues to work as expected. This issue was noticed today, as these network paths were functioning properly just last week.

Here are a few examples of the network file paths that have stopped working:

I am reaching out to you to see if you have any insights on this issue or if there is a workaround to make the local file references work again. It would be great if you could provide any information or guidance on this matter or please let me know if this is working fine for you.

Thank you for your time and attention to this matter.

Best regards,
Mohsin
Hello,

Fix for this has been identified and it will be available for public soon.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 09:46
Thanks @Sachin_Microsoft

For info, Sachin is a member of the Access team and is taking over development work on the Edge browser control from Joe.
Recently, Sachin was responsible for enabling the use of digital certificates with Access databases. This was a long overdue and, in my opinion, very useful feature.

DalynSoft

Local time
@DalynSoft I am happy to report that the issue with spaces in local file names has been fixed. The Edge browser control now displays files with spaces in their file paths without any problems.
For our Microsoft team - has the second item been able to be replicated?

DalynSoft

Local time
I have two outstanding issues - see posts 119 and 142 for example files.

SNS_SNS

Local time
Today, 02:46
I've figured out the problem with the LocationURL property. It works, but what doesnt seem to work is the site navigated to in the Edge Browser control stays continually loading and does not return the fully processed URL. Thus I'm getting the wrong values. Does anyone think this is a bug?
Any solution yet?

My EdgeBrowserControl has an empty control source.
After using the Navigate method to navigate to a URL, I can then read that URL with the LocationURL property, however any changes to the URL that happen after the Navigate method (interacting with Google Maps in my case) don't get shown in the LocationURL. It always returns the original URL given in the Navigate method.

vxr

Local time
Today, 04:46
Hey guys I just created an account because I figured out how to speed up the local files.
I configured my DNS to have the domain "msaccess" point to my local host and now the files open much quicker.
For those that don't know.
On windows:
Open notepad as administrator and then open the file: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts
Add the following at the end of the file and then save
127.0.0.1 msaccesss
I hope that helps someone

Appending files with ....msaccess is really a bad way to allow us to open local files. Hopefully they will improve on it.

Has anyone been able to get docx to open? I was trying in the actual edge browser and the only way I could get it to work was to log into office.com. It seems that edge will then upload the file to office.com before opening. That is not an acceptable solution for me.

Thanks,
~V

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
@vxr
That's brilliant! Simple & effective.
I can confirm it works in loading local files much faster.

In addition, it has fixed an issue I've had with updating my Get Current Geolocation app to work reliably with the Edge browser.
Previously there was a timing issue which meant it didn't work for everyone. With that change, it now works both faster & reliably

I have just updated the above article with this iinformation

Thank you so much

Just alerting @JoeJimenezMicrosoft & @Sachin_Microsoft to this information

Last edited:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
For info two bugs related to the Edge browser control were fixed in version 2307
  • Keyboard navigation shortcuts now work
  • Copy and paste keyboard shortcuts also now work

SNS_SNS

Local time
Any solution yet?

My EdgeBrowserControl has an empty control source.
After using the Navigate method to navigate to a URL, I can then read that URL with the LocationURL property, however any changes to the URL that happen after the Navigate method (interacting with Google Maps in my case) don't get shown in the LocationURL. It always returns the original URL given in the Navigate method.

This issue persists. Legacy Browser Control LocationURL works correctly, Edge Browser Control does not.

When using google maps, the URL will change as you interact with the map EX: dragging the map around will update the URL to contain a set of coordinates. You can verify this by opening up google maps in any old web browser and trying it out for yourself.

Edge Browser Control will not return the altered URL after interacting with the map, it will only return the base URL initially used to load Google Maps. The old browser control had no problem returning the altered URL. This is definitely a bug.

Last edited:

exebat

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:46
Hi all,

I am currently using AntView ActiveX WebView2 control as my preferred browser control and it works just fine but it has a problem with proper sizing on a form (Vertical and Horizontal Anchor don't work)

I am trying to use the new Edge ModernBrowser control but I don't see a way to capture a button/link click on web page.

In AntView I have a following event

Private Sub Antview0_OnWebMessageReceived(ByVal URI As String, ByVal MessageAsJson As String, ByVal MessageAsString As String)

and I can take proper action from the MessageAsString property. For example I can open an Access form Orders where OrderID is 10 if I get a MessageAsString "Orders|10".

On the webpage I have a following js code that sends the message

interopFunctions.sendMessage = (Message) => {
window.chrome.webview.postMessage(Message);
};

Is there a way to do anything similar with the new browser control ?

brezzsent

Local time
Today, 14:16
It's brilliant. More than a year ago, several sites I used to display in the old web browser control stopped working at all. I bit the bullet and added the insider channel to get this new Edge-based Web Browser control. One minor code change was needed to get it to work. This was a line of code added to suppress error messages in the prior version.

jimmykent

Local time
!! Please disregard this post!! I was wrong. This is a problem with my paths/file names. They are long and complicated having multiple spaces, periods, and numeric sequences. Carefully going over them I discovered the references stored in the table for the two problem files did not match the path/file names precisely. My bad, thus my apologies! I have deleted the post on Microsoft's Feedback Portal. Perhaps I should delete this as well?

Screenshot 2023-10-20 124241.png

** I posted this as an image because the forum was disallowing it for "invalid elements" I could not figure out. Even after changing the html and referenced Navigate method prefix to images.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-20 122913.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-10-20 122913.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 58
  • Screenshot 2023-10-20 124044.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-10-20 124044.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Probably your html elements.
Could try putting them within code tags?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom