Microsoft Access isn't opening (1 Viewer)

DT

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:45
HELP!! Microsoft Access isn't launching all of the time. It's hit or miss and not reproducible. This started happening within the last 2 weeks. Task Manager shows it open. There is a lock file created. It's just not visible on the computer. It's happening with many different databases. I've seen it happen from opening with a shortcut and also clicking on the database itself. Has anyone ever experienced this? :banghead:

Thanks

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 22:45
The lock file may be from a previously opened application that didn't close properly. Try deleing that using task manager and try again.

If it keeps happening, try to identify the reason for the lock file not being automatically deleted

DT

Registered User.
Local time
thanks for the response. You're not quite understanding the problem. When a database is launched, it doesn't open on the monitor. Task manager show's it open and the lock file is created.

You are correct tho, we have to close it thru task manager and then delete the lock file. Then try to reopen the database. Frustrating as it's not just happening to ONE database and IT hasn't been much help. I'm guessing that there was some updates pushed out recently that's caused this.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
if you have multiple screens, the access app might be opening 'off screen'

Suggest deactivate all but one screen to see if you can then see the app

Edit: can you see the access icon on the task bar? rather then using task manager, try right clicking on the icon and select 'close windows'

Edit#2: also does your app have code that runs when opened that affects visisbility or positioning of the access window or form? Try opening the db whilst holding down the shift key to disable the code

Last edited:

DT

Registered User.
Local time
Nope...no icon on the task bar...it's just strange.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
what about my other two suggestions?

DT

Registered User.
Local time
it's not opening off screen. No code affecting visibility. Holding the shift-key down has produced the same result. So frustrating as it's not reproducible

DT

Registered User.
Local time
been there done that...

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
few more questions -

is this happening only with opening your apps? or is it also happening if you open access itself?

If access opens OK, does an icon now appear in your task bar?
what happens if you then
a) select an app to open from the home screen or​
b) open then browse​
i.e. do you see the app? is the app now listed against your taskbar icon (right click)?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Is this happening only on one machine or several?

DT

Registered User.
Local time
It's happening with Access itself. Just got a call. Had the user try different things. One database did open. The others had the F11 key disabled. This one didn't. Talked to another db developer here and he said a database he saw it happen to DID NOT have the F11 key disabled. Still might be something to look into tho.

@theDBguy
Several machines

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
It's happening with Access itself. Just got a call. Had the user try different things. One database did open. The others had the F11 key disabled. This one didn't. Talked to another db developer here and he said a database he saw it happen to DID NOT have the F11 key disabled. Still might be something to look into tho.

@theDBguy
Several machines
Very strange. Not sure where to look then. Good luck and happy hunting. Please keep us posted just in case something jogs our memory based on your findings.

Lindaad

Registered User.
Local time
I saw it elsewhere:
"You need to use Associate a file type or protocol with a specific program
Go here
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs\Set Associations
select .accdb
What does it say under the Current Default column.
If it does not say "Microsoft Access"
Then you need to use the Change program button to change it and browse to MSACCESS.EXE"

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Have you checked the Event Log?, might be something there to give a clue.?

vkl

Local time
Tomorrow, 01:45
DT, сan you find the application window on the Processes tab of the Task Manager? If yes, there is an option to maximize the window.
Another way is to use Nirsoft WinLister to search for the Access window.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:45
Has something happened to cause a permissions change on any involved folder? You didn't say whether this was split or monolithic so I can't be sure. However, if it is split and there is a permissions issue and the FE isn't correctly distributed, this behavior MIGHT be due to issues in having insufficient permissions. Gotta admit, this doesn't sound like a familiar problem, but I've seen permissions issues trip you up if you aren't following the guidelines on split DB management.

DT

Registered User.
Local time
I saw it elsewhere:
"You need to use Associate a file type or protocol with a specific program
Go here
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs\Set Associations
select .accdb
What does it say under the Current Default column.
If it does not say "Microsoft Access"
Then you need to use the Change program button to change it and browse to MSACCESS.EXE"

Associations are correct...thanks

DT

Registered User.
Local time
DT, сan you find the application window on the Processes tab of the Task Manager? If yes, there is an option to maximize the window.
Another way is to use Nirsoft WinLister to search for the Access window.

Don't see an option to maximize the window. Here's the strange thing, when it happens, the database doesn't show up under Apps but under background processes. We are using Windows 10

DT

Registered User.
Local time
Has something happened to cause a permissions change on any involved folder? You didn't say whether this was split or monolithic so I can't be sure. However, if it is split and there is a permissions issue and the FE isn't correctly distributed, this behavior MIGHT be due to issues in having insufficient permissions. Gotta admit, this doesn't sound like a familiar problem, but I've seen permissions issues trip you up if you aren't following the guidelines on split DB management.

It's a split database. Can you expand on the FE isn't being correctly distributed?

We've been using split databases for 10+ years and this just started happening. I'm currently waiting for IT to find out if there have been any Microsoft Updates deployed lately. About 6 months ago, I did migrate all of the tables to SQL. Connecting thru a DSN file located in the same folder (c:\databases) as the databases.

So frustrating as it can't be replicated. Wondering if it's a network issue and MS Access at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom