Microsoft Access on Ipad (1 Viewer)

ben2203

Local time
Today, 03:23
I just did that, went out and bought an iPad, ok so you can link your database via a web form, no doubt you can build an iPad app that will connect to the database through SQL I'm not clever with iPad apps but for sure there are lots of possibilities and they are pretty cool, involves a lot more programming though.

On a windows xp professional machine you can install internet information services and broadcast a web page, something in asp will work to show, update, delete, edit records stored in an access database. You're limited to 10 concurrent connections though but you can connect via wi-fi on an intranet or Internet connection and it does exactly what you're wanting.

So this forum here for example is linked to a database and this message is stored in some table within that database, I would imagine they use mysql and php to obtain this, though I could be wrong.

Anyway you can use web forms or apps to connect to access and apple iPads though they lack camera and ability to print direct from the pad are not sooo bad though my opinion, by the way I was kinda anti apple till I bought this, also the auto replace is kinda annoying as is 1 handed typing, though I do also have a keyboard. Hope that helps

ben2203

Local time
Today, 03:23
Are yes the grammatic errors are more an iPad thing than myself being unable to string a sentence properly. Also going to check out the cellica database app, looks interesting.

Last edited:

Jsewell0203

Local time
Today, 06:23
Im new to this forum. This has been very helpful. Going to go check out that Celica app. Sounds exactly like what I need.

Jsewell0203

Local time
We all ought to familiarize ourselves with ways to accommodate the Ipad. If you have seen the Ipad 2 you are going to to be working with them very soon. S I M P L Y A M A Z I N G.

trill

Local time
Today, 21:23
handbase for ipad - database manager

app syncs with access.

isn't it nice when things just work.

xx

darbid

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:23
Hi guys,

i have a client which is a doctor and i am designing a database for him. Ideally he wants to put the database on the secretary's pc and also on his ipad so that when he exams he can enter the values of the patient in the database.

any ideas on how i can achieve this?

thank you
I am coming back to this question as I have now started to learn Objective C programming for iOS. Only learning it so far. Basically the way to do this properly is to expose the data in your data base to a WCF service (Using MS Speak) Then your i Device will send requests to this service to get information or send posts to this service to save information. It could be that you just do this behind the firewall of your router in the office so you do not have as many security issues.

I am pretty sure you cannot do this kind of thing with Access although I do not know A2010. You need to move to something like SQL Server 2005/2008 which you can use for free with the express version. Then you need to create (For example) a WCF Rest service.

Aquadevel

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:23
Check out:

http://itunes DOTapple DOT com/us/app/access-mobile-database-client/id387300746?mt=8

Its for Access 2003-2007 on an iPAD.

bparkinson

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:23
Yikes. I now have this same problem. We sell software to pro sports teams, and the trend now is for them to issue iPads to their players. Our app is Access 2010 front end, SQL Server 2008 R2 back end. Most of the important business logic is encapsulated in server-side views and stored procedures, so the front end is fairly light. The teams have heaps of money, so asking them to stand up a PC for each player is a trivial expense, and they have proper It departments with PC techs, DBAs, etc.

My thinking however is to build a web interface into the SQL Server data that the players have to interact with. It's a relatively small subset of the entirety of the data, mostly self-reported exercise and diet info.

I think it would look better for our company if we could offer an applet that works on the iPad without having to insert an intermediate PC and do remote access. I built a data transfer app a while back using Iron Speed Designer and SQL Server 2005. I'm thinking of going this route. Anyone have any alternative ideas for development platform? We also would consider outsourcing the web app, so we would have the option of dictating tools, platform etc. Any ideas welcome, and thanks in advance.

cable

Access For My Sins
Local time
Today, 10:23
I'd have thought going down the web front end route would be the easiest. Rather than any kind of syncing. Esp with the iPad's fairly competent browser you'd likely get away with a single site for both desktop users and the iPad.

Just a thought what about SharePoint? If you've got a 2010 Database with just macro coding, then you should be able 'up-size' it to SharePoint fairly easily.

JoeB

Local time
Today, 10:23
Just found this - Looking at Cellica Option

Does ayone know if it work when the DB is resident on a server?

utrulez

Registered User.
Local time
You can also use Teamviewer to remotly connect to a computer and access the DB that way. It's free(non-commercial use) and easier to setup.

cyberman55

Registered User.
Local time
I had/have the same issue with our inspection software component. Many of our clients already own, and like iPads. I found one company currently offering a system that allows one to put an Access table structure on an iPad and wrap it with a GUI using their SDK (free). They offer a number of synchronization options, including Wi-Fi and over the net. Check it out at http://www.cellica.com

Note, I have an existing inspection system and worked out a way to sync over a network connection, including pictures as attachments to records. I have a sample of how that's done on my developer's page for download here: http://www.informedcorp.com/Access-Development-developers-page.html

I will be starting the inspection software iPad project as soon as I finish it for Windows, in a few weeks so I can't offer you any specific advice or help with the Cellica package. Note also, they charge for their system, although it seems reasonable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom