Question Microsoft Works Database v. Microsoft Access (1 Viewer)

akt01

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:41
Hello. I use Access at work, and I would like to use it at home for a personal project, but it costs about $400. I am thinking about buying Microsoft Works, because it comes with a Database, and it is only $40. However, I am not sure it has the features I want - basic tables, forms and reports.

I’ve searched online for a comparison of Works Database to Access. The only hint I’ve gotten is that Access can handle more data.

Can anyone tell me the differences between Works and Access. Has any one seen a comparison chart outlining the differences.

thanks

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
>>>Can anyone tell me the differences between Works and Access.<<<

Sorry can't help you there, however I thought I should mention that if you want a cheap database, then have a look at the one that comes with open office. Haven't used it myself but I understand it's supposed to be quite powerful.

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 06:41
Here is simpe way to answer your question.

Think of a couple of problems you might want to solve in Access. The list as you know is long.

Now search on Google for some answers that involve Works or the DB FileMaker etc.

The point being that if the other DBs are even better than Access it will be difficult in the extreme to produce the results that can be actually produced with Access.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
i think the works dbs is more of a single table database, and nothing like as useful as access

just checked my A2007 version, and you can use the upgrade if you have any msoffice suite, or certain ms-works suites - a lot less than 400

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:41
If you already have a licensed version of Office, I think you can add Access for about $125.

MSAccessRookie

AWF VIP
Local time
If you already have a licensed version of Office, I think you can add Access for about $125.

Around here, we can get the MS Office Student Pack (3 licences) for $119 or less. The Full Office Suite is around $200. They are also available on EBay (new) for a little less than that, as well as (used) for a lot less than that. My company has bought new ones that way, but as far as I am aware, they have never bought used ones.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I'm pretty sure that the Student version does not include Access and I would be very wary of sites that sell MS products for large discounts. I would be surprised if you saw even $20/$30 differences.

I haven't had to buy retail for years because I have an Action Pack subscription so I'm not sure what the current prices are.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 12:41
And, the Home/Student edition or even Academic versions are not legal to be used in a business.

MSAccessRookie

AWF VIP
Local time
I'm pretty sure that the Student version does not include Access and I would be very wary of sites that sell MS products for large discounts. I would be surprised if you saw even $20/$30 differences.

I haven't had to buy retail for years because I have an Action Pack subscription so I'm not sure what the current prices are.

PAT:

The Student Pack that I bought for my family has the following Office Tools:
  1. MS Office Toolbar
  2. MS Word 2007
  3. MS Excel 2007
  4. MS Access 2007
  5. MS PowerPoint 2007
  6. MS OneNote 2007
BOB:

I assumed that the poster was a student (or at least was not intending to sell his "personal project"), and that a student pack might be OK

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 06:41
Can Access still be purchased as a stand alone. When I first got MSOffice 95 it was the standard and a bit later (when I made some discoveries:D) I bought Access and from memory it was about a dozen floppy disks.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 12:41
Yes, it can be bought as a stand alone program.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom