Tip Migrating from user-level security (mdb) to access2010 (1 Viewer)

stergio33

Local time
Yesterday, 23:07
Hi,
I am new in access 2010. I used to program in access 2003. Now I had to upgrade to 2010, but I had a ward time converting an existing db with uls, to new format.
I think my experience on solving this, may be helpful to some facing similar problems.
The steps that I took are finally the following:
1, I had to make the db free, ie to remove the user level security of mdb. So I gave to admin all the rights.
2. I had to convert the db to format 2003, since I found it was written in format 2000. So I tried to do it (database utilities/convert). My surprise was that I was not the owner of db, since I returned to system.mdw users file. So I created a new db, which made me owner, then I imported all objects to the new db. I was the owner then. Note that even I was admin, I could change the owner of the objects (tables, forms, etc), but not the db itself.
3. I had to decode the db (database utilities / encode / decode).
4. I compiled the code (opened the VBA window and selected compile db. I found a few bugs and corrected them. Compile is a good way to check against bugs.
5. I committed 'pack/repair'.
6. I opened access 2010 (in another pc) copied the mdb file(s) (I use a split db) and
I chose 'file/save & publish' then 'save as / Access Database (*.accdb). I clicked on 'save' and so a new file accdb was created.
7. I exited access and run again. Now I opened the new accdb file. I chose 'file/save & publish' then 'Make ACCDE'. I clicked on 'save' and so a new file accde was created!!!!!!!!!!
8. The problem now was this nerve-braking - how do they call it? - band with the tools and menus, that 2007 and later versions have set. It still exists in accde format. So I found the solution. Even you distribute the proper runtime, witch is best, if the workstation has not access installed, or if access is installed, you create a shortcut on the surface like this:
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft office\office14\MSACCESS.EXE" /runtime "c:\mysDir\myDb.accde"
This will put in the properties of the shortcut, in the field 'destination'. It is safer to create a shortcut of access.exe, send it to desktop, then another shortcut of the Mydb.accde, sent to the desktop, then with the 'properties' selection (right click) you have almost all you need ready written.
I am happy now! It took me a few days and a lot of reading. This forum really helped me a lot, so I hope I can help with this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom