Misleading error message on insert URL for new users

Local time
Today, 10:02
Hi,

as new user with less than 10 messages I can't post URLs (as theDBGuy told me). but the error message is
Code:
Your content can not be submitted.
This is likely because your content is spam-like or contains inappropriate elements.
Please change your content or try again later.
If you still have problems, please contact an administrator.
It took a while I noticed the URLs where inappropriate for me ;)

There should be a clear error message like: You aren't allowed to use URLs on first 10 messages" or similar.

Also there should be a FAQ section on top of "Access World News".

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:02
That would alert spammers to the criteria.

Local time
Then use a captcha on first ten post, if links are included. Or allow plain text URLs. I even can#t write 3 consecutive 'w' in a post

sonic8

AWF VIP
Local time
That would alert spammers to the criteria.
I think this is a non-issue. Spammers must be familiar with this very common limitation on many forum sites.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I think this is a non-issue. Spammers must be familiar with this very common limitation on many forum sites.
The rules vary on all sites. Some spam is by bots, others manual. If manual, they can read a FAQ on what is required before they spam. If they don't know the link dropping rules, it is harder to game the system. It is the same principle behind Google not revealing their algo on how they rank sites.

Besides, most regular users don't read forum FAQs.

Last edited:

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Then use a captcha on first ten post, if links are included. Or allow plain text URLs. I even can#t write 3 consecutive 'w' in a post
Bots and humans can get around captchas. But I'm not sure what the reason is for the captcha. We don't want new users dropping links. It encourages spammers.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Or a picture as error message
Picture of what? There is no customisation of error messages in this software that would say the reason for a declined message. You can only give one reply to everything. And if I include in the reply. "Get to 10 messages before you can drop a link", the spammers will feast on that information.

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Today, 01:02
Picture of what? There is no customisation of error messages in this software that would say the reason for a declined message. You can only give one reply to everything. And if I include in the reply. "Get to 10 messages before you can drop a link", the spammers will feast on that information.
Dealing with spammers is a huge headache. Good old-fashioned HI is the final safeguard, but we don't have to make it easier than it needs to be.

I would also amend this statement: "Besides, most regular users don't read forum FAQs."

to read "Besides, most regular users don't read forum FAQs and wanna be spammers ignore them."

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I think most spam is probably bots anyway. But there are always a few manual spammers.

I'm not sure what the OP link was for in any case?

Local time
Bots and humans can get around captchas. But I'm not sure what the reason is for the captcha. We don't want new users dropping links. It encourages spammers.
Bots should fail on captchas, as they are designed for that (Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart).

There are options in xenforo https://xenforo.com/features/spam/

Last edited:
Local time
Now my message count is 10, but it was very annoying, not to know why post where rejected!

New users may not be as patient as me ;)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
All the xenforo options are already enabled, and further 3rd-party plugins also added. Captchas keep evolving as the bots learn to get around them. Bots can read pictures: OCR. In any case, like I said previously, you cannot customise the replies, whether image or not.

Last edited:

Thomas Möller

Local time
Hi,

as new user with less than 10 messages I can't post URLs (as theDBGuy told me). but the error message is
Code:
Your content can not be submitted.
This is likely because your content is spam-like or contains inappropriate elements.
Please change your content or try again later.
If you still have problems, please contact an administrator.
It took a while I noticed the URLs where inappropriate for me ;)

There should be a clear error message like: You aren't allowed to use URLs on first 10 messages" or similar.

Also there should be a FAQ section on top of "Access World News".
I can second this. It was by incident, that I found out the real reason was the link in my post.
Regards
Thomas (who is working on his tenth post.) :cool:

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Why so keen on posting a link?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom