Question Modification in database (1 Viewer)

realmadrid

Princess
Local time
Today, 19:25
i have successfully split the data into frontend & backend. The backend is on the server (shared folder) & front end is on each user's system. Now i want to make some changes in the database, so which database has to be modified?? I guess the main file which was splitted. if yes, then will it update the same modification in backend & frontend???

DCrake

Remembered
Local time
Today, 16:25
If the changes you have made relate to the tables only then its the Back end, conversely if you have amended the other objects then you need to deploy the front end to each users machine.

realmadrid

Princess
Local time
u mean if i need to do modification in the table only then i have to do it on the backend & if modification required for forms, queries & reports, then i have to do it on the frontend on each user's ps??? sorry for being a nerd...

DCrake

Remembered
Local time
You should have a copy of the latest version of the front end that you us as a development copy. This is what you use tomake amendments and bug fixing. This is what you give out to users who replace their existing versions with the new version. If you make a change to the back end tables. You need to take everyone out of the system, make the changes then let them back in again.

It should only be on rare occasions that the back end needs changing.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
the thing is - you often need to do both - indeed changing the backend alone is unlikely to achieve much - as you probably need code in the front end to use the new data tables/fields.

realmadrid

Princess
Local time
i did modification in the frontend which took effect only in the frontend & not in the backend & the main database(which was splitted). My question was which one has to be modified so that it gets updated in all. Can i do modification in the main database(which was splitted) & will it update the changes in frontend & backend cos both are interlinked with the main????

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
you can change anything in the front end - to do extra reports and process the data differently.

however If you do something in the front end that needs another field/table in the back end- then if you don't add the new fields to the back end, you will get either #name or #errors on forms, or worse - fatal debug errors when you run the app.

yopu will see if you trry and make changes in the front end to a "LINKED" table - you can't.

each user (if you have more than 1) will need a copy of the new front end.

realmadrid

Princess
Local time
i did but it isnt working wid me. i have to pull those changes to backend, frontend & even the main database. i didnt try doin changes to the main so not sure will it work or not but i am very much sure the database was successfully splitted.. :(

DCrake

Remembered
Local time
You say Back End Front End and even the main database. What changes have you made to what?

Does you front end have links to the back end tables? Little blue arrows next to the table names.

What version of Access are you using?

realmadrid

Princess
Local time
yes the front end & backend are linked to the main database cos i can see small blue arrows on the frontend but not on the backend & main database.

i jus need to change a label on the form. so what i did is i made a copy of frontend & did modification to it. the changes took effect on the main database & also on the backend. But when i did those changes to the main frontend file the modification didnt work...

m using access 2007

DCrake

Remembered
Local time
Why do you keep referring to three databases?

You should have one front end accdb which is distributed to all users. This will have links to the shared back end which holds the tables.

The back end which is the source of the data that is made available to all users via the linked tables manager.

Yes you will also have a copy of the front end that you use as a development version. You make changes to that and then deploy that as a new front end.

realmadrid

Princess
Local time
i have only one database....i made a copy of front end & did modification bt the changes didnt take effect in the database??? please help

DCrake

Remembered
Local time
Can you upload you database and tell us what changes you made to look for

realmadrid

Princess
Local time
the size is extremely large...can i get an email id on which i can send u??

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom