Movies DB: Noob needs help populating multiple table entries into single text box. (1 Viewer)

oZone

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:06
As the title states, i'm still a noob at Access. I'm trying to build a database with which I can keep track of my home movie collection, track loaned and returned movies, and help to eliminate duplicate movies (in case I've already entered a movie, then later buy it again, and enter it a second time, not realizing I already have it in the database).

My DB isnt complete yet, only have about 1/8th of my collection entered, I entered some fake entries in the loans table just to see if queries would work, and I dont think I've completely normalized it to at least 3NF yet, but the main reason I'm here is because I need some help with a form.

I've created a form for viewing movie details such as title, genre, rating, who starred in it, etc.. and each movie could have multiple stars so I need the form to list all the stars associated with that movie in a text box but so far I can only get it to list one star.

When I navigate to the next record, instead of navigating to the next movie, it shows all the same details for that movie but cycles through each star associated with that movie... So if there are 5 stars in a movie, I have to hit the navigation button 5 times before it will cycle to the next movie.

The form should list all the stars associated a movie in one text box on the form and should navigate to the next movie when you navigate to the next record. It almost seems as though the stars are controlling the form, not the movie ID...

It should be a simple fix, but alas I am a noob... :rolleyes: help?

I've attached my DB but heres its general layout:
Movies (MovieID, MovieTitle, Media, Rating, Genre, Watched, Liked, Description, Notes)
StarsToMovies (MovieID, LastName, FirstName, StarID)
Stars (StarID, LastName, FirstName)
Media (Media)
Rating (Rating)
Genre (Genre)
LoanList (LoanID, MovieID, LastName, FirstName, Address, City, State, Phone, LoanDate, Returned)
State (States)

The reason for the separate media, rating, and genre tables is for use with an AddMovies form that I havent yet developed. I need to make these fields selectable via a combo box to reduce data entry errors and inconsistencies.

The reason for the State table is the same. I plan on making a Loans form in which I can add/edit/delete loan listings. I dont necessarily need this table, but thought it would be a good idea, again to reduce data entry errors or inconsistencies.

Any normalization tips would be helpful as well.

Thanks in advance! ;)

Attachments

• oZone_MovieDB.zip
    45.7 KB · Views: 121

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Get rid of the tblStarsToMovies for the main form. Then create a subform for just the stars to movies and then you can link the Master/Child links to the movie ID.

oZone

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try that.

Does my DB appear to be normalized to at least 3NF? Or could it use improvements?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom