MS Access runtime won't open DB (1 Viewer)

rplohocky

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:25
Hello,
I'm brand new at using Access and using runtime.
I installed runtime on a pc that does not have the full version of Access just to see how the program looks and works. I saved the DB (accdb file) to the desktop first then double clicked the file and runtime opened with a warning saying the file is not in a trusted file, do you want to open anyway? I clicked open anyway but nothing happened, my form did not appear nor any other option to work with. After learning how to make the desktop file a trusted one by modifying the registry it still has the same warning and won't show the form.
Here's what I used..
You'll need to create a script or install routine that manually creates the necessary registry keys.

For example, setting these keys....

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Access\Security\Trusted Locations\Location0]
AllowSubFolders (REG_DWORD) = 1
Path (REG_SZ) "C:\Users\R\Desktop\OXI Integration.accdb"

I did this but it's still not working. Any ides?

Thanks for any help!

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 19:25
Have you tried to compile your database on the your machine with the full version? If it won't compile you'll get errors with a runtime version.

Ranman256

Local time
Today, 14:25
Try a newer, or older version of the runtime.

rplohocky

Registered User.
Local time
I didn't want to install on the second PC because I am trying to see what runtime will look like. I need to install runtime on about 25 othe PC's that don't have full vesion of Access. If i install Access it will default on the full version not runtime.

Also no I haven't tried any other version but the newest one.

Thanks again.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
I don't see anyone suggesting installing a full version?

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I am trying to see what runtime will look like
to do this, on your development machine, just rename the front end with .accdr extension and open it - it will then work the same as runtime.

runtime does not have menus, ribbons, navigation forms or shortcut (rightclick) menus although you can create your own equivalent. It also does not have any error reporting capability so if it encounters an error it will either freeze or bomb out.

To make sure it 'fires up' in runtime you must have either an autoexec macro to open a form or select one in file>options>current database - display form.

Other issues you may need to consider is the runtime version needs to be the same as the development version (2007/10 etc and 32 or 64bit), that the other machines have the same referenced apps (e.g. excel, outlook) installed if these are used by your app and early bound. Also paths to the backend and other referenced directories are mapped the same as the development machine, or facilities provided to enable the user to change them.

rplohocky

Registered User.
Local time
Minty, sorry my mistake.I thought you were recommending I install the full version on the second PC.

I'm not sure what you mean by compiling the DB???

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
On your development machine press Alt+F11 to open the VBA window. Under the Debug drop down is an option to compile. See if this indicates any error.

As CJ said - you will need some method of opening your initial navigation or switchboard forms automatically - either set in the options for the database, or using an Autoexec macro.

rplohocky

Registered User.
Local time
Other issues you may need to consider is the runtime version needs to be the same as the development version (2007/10 etc and 32 or 64bit), that the other machines have the same referenced apps (e.g. excel, outlook) installed if these are used by your app and early bound. Also paths to the backend and other referenced directories are mapped the same as the development machine, or facilities provided to enable the user to change them.
I created the DB and form in Access 2010 64 bit but I installed 32 bit on the second PC. Your saying that I can/should install 64 bit on my 32 bit PC and first, the 64 bit will work on the 32 bit PC and second, runtime should work at that point?

rplohocky

Registered User.
Local time
On your development machine press Alt+F11 to open the VBA window. Under the Debug drop down is an option to compile. See if this indicates any error.
Minty,
I opened Access and then opened the DB. I hold Alt and hit f11 but nothing happens. I tried the f lock key as well but nothing. Is there another way to get into the macro in VBA?

rplohocky

Registered User.
Local time
To make sure it 'fires up' in runtime you must have either an autoexec macro to open a form or select one in file>options>current database - display form.

CJ,
I just assigned the correct form, it had "none" in the box.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
If the front end is not a .accde (code is permanently compiled) and the code does not use APIs then it will probably work since the code is compiled as it is run. But the normal rule is to run the same version. So if you have developed using 64bit access, then your users should have 64bit access runtime.

Note you cannot install both 32bit and 64bit access on a single machine, they are mutually incompatible. There is absolutely no benefit in 64bit access, or should I say Office, except for power excel users who are working on very large datasets and using complex calculations.

64bit access/office will not work on a 32bit computer, so I am confused by your comment in your last post.

Personally I would remove your 64bit access from your machine and install 32bit access - and install 32bit access 2010 runtime on your users machines

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
CJ,
I just assigned the correct form, it had "none" in the box.
then that form will open automatically when the db is opened. If it doesn't, it means either you have not put the db in a trusted location or you have not enabled macros. Or there is a macro in the form open, load and/or current events which will not run for some reason and halts the execution.

rplohocky

Registered User.
Local time
64bit access/office will not work on a 32bit computer, so I am confused by your comment in your last post.

Personally I would remove your 64bit access from your machine and install 32bit access - and install 32bit access 2010 runtime on your users machines
CJ,
I have 64bit Windows 7 and Office 2010 (Access 2010). I assume Office is 64bit as well??? Are you saying that because I built the DB in a 64bit environment I won't be able to run runtime on a 32bit PC?

I downloaded 32bit Runtime because I assumed I needed to use that version on a 32bit PC. If I download the 64bit version, can I install it on the 32bit PC and it should/may work then?

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I have 64bit Windows 7 and Office 2010 (Access 2010). I assume Office is 64bit as well???
If I download the 64bit version, can I install it on the 32bit PC and it should/may work then?
1. you cannot run a 64bit application on a 32bit machine
2. you can run a 32bit application on a 64bit machine
3. you choose which version of access (32 or 64) bit to install. If the machine is a 64bit machine then it doesn't care which version you install. If it is 32bit, it won't allow you to install a 64bit version
4. to find out what version of access you have installed, in access, go to file>help where you will see in the 'about Microsoft access' section the version and bit type

Are you saying that because I built the DB in a 64bit environment I won't be able to run runtime on a 32bit PC?
No, I said it will probably work providing
a) you are not using any API's - you are probably not if you are not using VBA
b) you are not using references to other apps (such as excel and outlook) which are a different version (i.e. you are using outlook 2010, users are using 2007 means the app will probably fail)
c) the file they are using is a .accdb.

I downloaded 32bit Runtime because I assumed I needed to use that version on a 32bit PC.
what are they using? windows vista? Don't confuse the bit of a machine with the bit of office. If they have office apps on their machine, you need to check what bit they have installed for word/excel/whatever - identified as in 4 above

rplohocky

Registered User.
Local time
4. to find out what version of access you have installed, in access, go to file>help where you will see in the 'about Microsoft access' section the version and bit type
I found out I am running 32bit Access on the developer PC and I installed the 32 bit on the second PC.

a) you are not using any API's - you are probably not if you are not using VBA
Not sure what a API is in this software. I know an API in other software is a portal. If that's the same thing in Access then No I'm not.

b) you are not using references to other apps (such as excel and outlook) which are a different version (i.e. you are using outlook 2010, users are using 2007 means the app will probably fail)
c) the file they are using is a .accdb.

No linking just imported a basic database since I'm learning Access at this point.
The DB saved as a .accdb when I saved it.

what are they using? windows vista? Don't confuse the bit of a machine with the bit of office. If they have office apps on their machine, you need to check what bit they have installed for word/excel/whatever - identified as in 4 above
The PC's that will be using runtime are all windows 7. I don't know at this time what bit office they all have. At this point I'm just trying to get one PC, mine, to work.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
so you are developing in 32bit access and have installed 32bit access runtime on your users machines. It sounds like you are using access macros and not vba so no problem there. Also sounds like you are not referencing excel/outlook etc so no problem there either.

So you should be good to go.

Only other thing is linking - in access this refers to linking the front end to the back end (not to other applications). While concept testing it is OK to have everything in one file. But if users are going to share data then it is important the data is kept in a separate back end in a location they all have read/write access to, and it is better to structure your db in this way when you get down to serious development. Otherwise when it comes time to put your app into production, you might find a whole host of issues around performance, so better to address them whilst developing.

FYI Front End contains all forms, reports, queries and code/macros. Back End contains tables only

rplohocky

Registered User.
Local time
CJ,
I was able to get runtime to display the form. I think it was because I didn't have the form linked to the DB.
The only thing to fix now is why the warning that pops up when I open the file. It says the place I have the files stored is not trusted. I went into the registry and made it a trusted folder with the guidelines I wrote in my first post of this posting.

Do you have any thoughts on how to fix this so there is no warning?

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
don't think your registry entry is correct. You said you are using 2010 - that is 14.0, not 12.0. Also I don't think path is correct - should just be a path, no file.

suggest on your development machine open access the select file>options>trust centre. Then select trust centre settings. Then click on trusted locations and choose a path and save.

When done, open the registry and see what has been entered

almahmood

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 23:55
Hi,

Open you database in a full version with shift key and then press ALT + F11 together and you will be able to go into the VBA code window. Then click on Debug --> Compile Database. This process will compile all your VBA code. It will highlight your error code. Keep doing this process untill you get success. Are you using any API in your code? If so, you need to add ptrSafe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom