MS Access Tutorials to Non Tech Persons (1 Viewer)

harpygaggle

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:40
I am looking for an easy way to follow Ms Access - a simple one that a non tech person can easily follow. Care to share notes or vid links.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 11:40
how downloading ebooks: Access for dummies.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 04:40
Suggest you have a look at the Access video tutorials by Steve Bishop on You Tube. Its a complete course of over 100 videos from beginner through to advanced. All totally free

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 23:40
There are links to several Access/Database topics - including the links to Steve Bishop tutorials - in the Database Planning and Design link in my signature. Good luck with your learning.

Last edited:

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 04:40
I have an Access for Dummies book. :)

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 23:40
Access is not a tool that a non-technical person should be messing around with. What is your objective? Do you want to become a technical person? Do you want to learn to develop database applications? Do you want to develop something for only your own use? Developing software is quite different from using software developed by others. Most people can read the "great American novel" but very few people could write one. Just because Biden thinks that coal miners should be able to code because they are able to dig doesn't make it so. Access at least has a fairly low bar for entry because of its graphical interface.

I don't want to discourage you because going from non-technical to technical is certainly possible especially if you are able to pay attention to detail. When Borders used to have the best selection of technical books on the planet, it was easy enough to find suitable books. Now that you have to buy technical books sight unseen or by viewing a few pages, it is much more difficult. If you look at Access books on line, look for ones that start by describing the interface and then by describing the objects that make up an Access application - forms, reports, macros, modules, queries, tables. That's it, there's only 6 of them these days.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I personally wouldn't use videos to learn coding or technical design. To me one of the necessary exercises--so necessary, it's the main point of it-- is to get used to following precise written instructions, in precise semantics, each term of which is there for a reason--and in fact, is an inherent part of the platform you are learning. The discipline of following constructs like, "Check the Properties Pane of the Form in Design View and identify the Popup Property" is exactly what is needed to be learned--Learn to ingest information presented like that, and learn to express it like that yourself. That's the only way people in the development world survive, by all speaking the 'same language'-----Not, "click here and then click down here on this gray box with a white space like I'm showing you". There may be a few platforms or scenarios where, for some reason, they are the exception to that 'rule'.

That's my personal opinion that certainly won't be shared by all--and I respect that. However, I try to stay openminded about the issue, as some new learners swear by it. (Then again, I wonder if that's the same people who cannot express themselves in anything resembling correct/understandable terms when the need arises).

I think Pat made a good point. The general idea is you either DO want to become technical in an area or you don't. If you don't, skip it. If you do, commit to it, and to taking an academic approach to it. I do not recommend approaching it with the concept that "I'm going to get to where I can create technical output without being at all a technical person"--All you'll end up doing is making mostly messes at best, or an actual instrument in the loss of fidelity of your employer's data at worst. If you get to that point, it will get worse; you won't know how to ask for help nor troubleshoot the problem.

We all start somewhere, for sure--But knowing what you're in for and embracing it is the best foundation.

A little harsh sounding truths here, I guess. Sorry. :oops:

Last edited:

harpygaggle

Registered User.
Local time
Access is not a tool that a non-technical person should be messing around with. What is your objective? Do you want to become a technical person? Do you want to learn to develop database applications? Do you want to develop something for only your own use? Developing software is quite different from using software developed by others. Most people can read the "great American novel" but very few people could write one. Just because Biden thinks that coal miners should be able to code because they are able to dig doesn't make it so. Access at least has a fairly low bar for entry because of its graphical interface.

I don't want to discourage you because going from non-technical to technical is certainly possible especially if you are able to pay attention to detail. When Borders used to have the best selection of technical books on the planet, it was easy enough to find suitable books. Now that you have to buy technical books sight unseen or by viewing a few pages, it is much more difficult. If you look at Access books on line, look for ones that start by describing the interface and then by describing the objects that make up an Access application - forms, reports, macros, modules, queries, tables. That's it, there's only 6 of them these days.
This is seriously taken. Thank you Pat. I will do what you have recommended. ☺️🙌

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom