MSOUTL.OLB Version 9.4 missing (1 Viewer)

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:08
Hi. I have not logged on for a while, and have just noticed this thread. I haven't read the whole thread in detail

However, I think the problem may be to do with office versions. I know when I use A2003 it won't sent emails via Outlook 2013. The same database will send emails when using A2013. I am pretty sure the object model is different which might well explain your missing reference. I actually use Everything Access vbMapi in some databases, and that shows the same problem.

As I now use Office 365 (as well as A2003), my office versions are consistent so I can't confirm whether the same issue will arise with other access/outlook versions. eg A2010, Outlook 2016, but I wouldn't be surprised.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:08
I meant that once the message appear in Outlook, I was happy. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Yes, the thread and the 70 plus posts are sometimes hard to follow. Not sure what I should do next.

I have been thinking about getting a spare machine and testing out my old DB on Office 2019 with the latest version of Windows 10, complete with Access. But I am not sure that will solve the problem.

There is no early binding code that I can see in my test DB. Is there anything else that comes to mind that might be the problem? It would seem that Access 2010 and the latest version of MS Office are just not compatible.

Maybe there is a suggestion out there waiting to solve this.
I think the common thread here is your complex db. Are you using any code from Leban's website? I wonder if you have any code setting a reference to a particular library at runtime. If you take the demo file I gave you earlier and run it on the problem machine (after the CStr() fix), I think you said it was fine, correct? If so, take a look at the references window in the demo and try to duplicate the same in your db. Take out any that is not in the demo, just for testing, and see what happens. Just a thought...

Eljefegeneo

Still trying to learn
Local time
I will try your demo again. The demo is about the same as my test DB, but then what do I know. I hope it will work and if so will tell me that my DB is way too complex and is the root of all my problems. Or not.

Seems that this problem is rooted in the change from Office 2010 to Office 16 or Office 365. Talked with my wife about this as she is on the local city council and they changed to Office 365 last year and even the most tech savvy people hate it.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate all of you who have tried to solve this problem for me. But I cannot be the only one. Surely there are hundreds of thousands or more users out there who developed DBs in Access 2010 or earlier that now have new machines and have installed the equivalent of Office 16 or Office 365 but didn't want to migrate to the latest Access versions.

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I will try your demo again. The demo is about the same as my test DB, but then what do I know. I hope it will work and if so will tell me that my DB is way too complex and is the root of all my problems. Or not.

Seems that this problem is rooted in the change from Office 2010 to Office 16 or Office 365. Talked with my wife about this as she is on the local city council and they changed to Office 365 last year and even the most tech savvy people hate it.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate all of you who have tried to solve this problem for me. But I cannot be the only one. Surely there are hundreds of thousands or more users out there who developed DBs in Access 2010 or earlier that now have new machines and have installed the equivalent of Office 16 or Office 365 but didn't want to migrate to the latest Access versions.

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
Hi. That's correct, lots of people are still using older versions of Access and the usual solution is to use late binding, which is why we have been directing you towards that direction. If you are able to share a copy of your db, we could easily tell you if there's anything else outside of this Outlook issue that may be causing your problem.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I agree.
Although I have Office 365 and use Word / Excel from that, I still use Access 2010 for developing and only use Access 2019/365 for testing purposes.
This is both because I prefer A2010 and because many (but not all) of my clients still use it.
If you always develop in A2010, references will be 'upgraded' for those clients with newer versions. However that doesn't happen in reverse. Using late binding makes version issues largely irrelevant

Also, in case it hasn't already been mentioned in this very long thread, its possible to send email direct from Access using CDO. Doing so means Outlook isn't involved. In fact it doesn't need to be installed.
Https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=293368CDO Email Tester

Last edited:

Eljefegeneo

Still trying to learn
Local time
Thank you all. I just had to take a few hours off today as my head has been spinning about this subject. The good news is that I think (a big hope here) that part of the problem is the references. I tested the EMail demo from DBGuy and made the same adjustments in references to my email test DB that I posted and lo and behold they worked on the miscreant machine. So I now have a starting place.

I appreciate the offer to go through the DB looking for errant code and I may start with all the modules that I have on it.

But let me work on it this weekend and see what changes I can made to convert to late binding - at least those that I know how to do.

Again, thank you. All,
:)

Eljefegeneo

Still trying to learn
Local time
For anyone that might me interested, I changed al the codes that were throwing error messages on my DB and tested it on my home computer, Windows 10 but Office 2010. I only have the four references checked as on DBGuy's email demo. The only thing different that I notices is that I did not have to use the CStr in front of the email send to, subject, etc. Unfortunately I cannot test on the work computer as the tester is on vacation for a few days.

Again thanks for the help. I hope that this is the end of this long saga.

:):):):):)

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
For anyone that might me interested, I changed al the codes that were throwing error messages on my DB and tested it on my home computer, Windows 10 but Office 2010. I only have the four references checked as on DBGuy's email demo. The only thing different that I notices is that I did not have to use the CStr in front of the email send to, subject, etc. Unfortunately I cannot test on the work computer as the tester is on vacation for a few days.

Again thanks for the help. I hope that this is the end of this long saga.

:):):):):)
Hi. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Eljefegeneo

Still trying to learn
Local time
OK, finally after a long weekend waiting to hear if my newest version worked on the miscreant machine, I then had to wait until our local power company PG&E turned on the power again. Many areas of Northern California are experiencing forced blackouts.
The code was tested this afternoon and so far it seems to work. Of course I am being cautious since the user on the machine has not started using it, but the DB opens without any error messages.
So I want to thank all those who helped me. Please forgive me if I have left out anyone. TheDBguy, Micron, arnelgp, isladogs, TheDocMan, GemmaTheHusky. The biggest shout goes to the guy from San Diego who put up with me for over a week. He has the patience of Job.
OK, finally after a long weekend waiting to hear if my newest version worked on the miscreant machine, I then had to wait until our local power company PG&E turned on the power again. Many areas of Northern California are experiencing forced blackouts.
The code was tested this afternoon and so far it seems to work. Of course I am being cautious since the user on the machine has not started using it, but the DB opens without any error messages.
So I want to thank all those who helped me. Please forgive me if I have left out anyone. TheDBguy, Micron, arnelgp, isladogs, TheDocMan, GemmaTheHusky. The biggest shout goes to the guy from San Diego who put up with me for over a week. He has the patience of Job.

JasonTFleishman

Local time
Today, 11:08
use Late binding. google it. it will save you a lot if you will convert all your automation to late binding. and will be compatible in all scenario.

it is missing because the other pc is using other version of office app.
It's a pain to learn late binding but worth it. It's just one of those skills you may use once but comes in handy years later for solving problems like 'missing reference'.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
It's a pain to learn late binding but worth it. It's just one of those skills you may use once but comes in handy years later for solving problems like 'missing reference'.
Wow, over three year old thread? :(

JasonTFleishman

Local time
Today, 11:08
Well, it's not the same error that Runtime is throwing when using Access, but it's similar and the principle still applies, early-bind when developing, late-bind when distributing. I do both when developing but just comment out the 'late-bind' script.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I must say I thought the real issue arises if a user has a different office version for Outlook and Access. It may be that access 2010 can send emails with outlook 2016, but I am pretty sure that access 2003 can't, whatever code you use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom