MSOUTL.OLB Version 9.4 missing (1 Viewer)

Eljefegeneo

Still trying to learn
Local time
Yesterday, 17:13
Cannot uncheck it. Says it is in use.

Eljefegeneo

Still trying to learn
Local time
I figured out how to do it. Hold down the shit key and then open the DB. Unchedkced the reference and the first one that came up was:
Code:
UpdateBackup:
Dim db As Database
Dim rs As Recordset
Dim BUB As String
Dim DBU As Date
Dim BUD As Boolean
this is some code that sets up an automatic backup for the DB on opening.

the Dim db as Database throws the first error message.

Have a doctor's appointment at 3 PM, so I will be back on this after that.

I cannot express fully my gratitude for all the help.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 20:13
yes that is correct. .value works.
yes that is correct. .value works.
Then I'll bet all your money that this is a lookup field in the table, or perhaps a multi value field.

EDIT - forgot to add that this might also explain why CStr worked.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Unchedkced the reference and the first one that came up was:
Code:
UpdateBackup:
Dim db As Database
Dim rs As Recordset
Dim BUB As String
Dim DBU As Date
Dim BUD As Boolean
this is some code that sets up an automatic backup for the DB on opening.

the Dim db as Database throws the first error message.
Hi. Since we cannot watch what you're doing, I just want to confirm. You only took out the one I asked you to uncheck, correct? In any case, you just need to go through each error and fix them one at a time until they're all gone. Once you've fixed all of the errors, then your code should now be late bound (at least for Outlook).

Eljefegeneo

Still trying to learn
Local time
Will start work on this tomorrow. After I correct the all, do I check that reference on again?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Will start work on this tomorrow. After I correct the all, do I check that reference on again?

No, you leave it unchecked. The code should continue to work without it.

Last edited:

Eljefegeneo

Still trying to learn
Local time
Will leave it unchecked as you said.

I now have the following which does not throw any error when compiling. Want to make sure I have this correct.

Code:
Dim db As Object
Set db = CreateObject("Access.Application")
Dim rs As Object
Set rs = CreateObject("ADODB.recordset")
Not sure about either and before I go through the entire DB thought I would ask.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Will leave it unchecked as you said.

I now have the following which does not throw any error when compiling. Want to make sure I have this correct.

Code:
Dim db As Object
Set db = CreateObject("Access.Application")
Dim rs As Object
Set rs = CreateObject("ADODB.recordset")
Not sure about either and before I go through the entire DB thought I would ask.
Hi. The first one is only necessary if you're automating an external Access file. But the second one is not necessary and probably incorrect. What do you use them for?

Eljefegeneo

Still trying to learn
Local time
I was going through the errors and whenever one occurred, changed them to the one above. I now realize that I should have been checking each and every one to see if it worked before proceeding with the next. I regret to say that my old DB has so many of these errors that I am disheartened that Microsoft has chosen to penalize a long time user with the problem that I have encountered.

In any case, I will start again, deleting the reference to Outlook as was suggested and then start the process anew. Quite a bit of my code was found on this forum for which I was eternally grateful since it simplified my learning process. It is almost as if I am starting out all over again.

Just a quick question. Is it better to correct the old DB or try to just move it all to Access 2019 or would I still have the same problems?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I was going through the errors and whenever one occurred, changed them to the one above. I now realize that I should have been checking each and every one to see if it worked before proceeding with the next. I regret to say that my old DB has so many of these errors that I am disheartened that Microsoft has chosen to penalize a long time user with the problem that I have encountered.

In any case, I will start again, deleting the reference to Outlook as was suggested and then start the process anew. Quite a bit of my code was found on this forum for which I was eternally grateful since it simplified my learning process. It is almost as if I am starting out all over again.

Just a quick question. Is it better to correct the old DB or try to just move it all to Access 2019 or would I still have the same problems?
Hi. If you move your existing db to 2019, you won't have this problem anymore, until version 2020 comes out.

Eljefegeneo

Still trying to learn
Local time
The users at work are going to install Office 365 instead of the stand alone versions of Office. So if I can get Access 2019 to work or get my old Access 2010, do you meant that with the next update of Office 365 the problem might occur again?

If I understand it correctly, the problem occurs when I tried to use Access 2010 on a new Windows 10 machine that has Office 365 on it. Access 2010 with its early binding code is not compatible with Office 365 components, i.e. Outlook, Excel, Word, etc.

Another alternative is to get rid of Office 365, install the old copy of Office 2010 and not get any security updates from Microsoft, leaving us vulnerable to hacking. Not a good idea?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
The users at work are going to install Office 365 instead of the stand alone versions of Office. So if I can get Access 2019 to work or get my old Access 2010, do you meant that with the next update of Office 365 the problem might occur again?

If I understand it correctly, the problem occurs when I tried to use Access 2010 on a new Windows 10 machine that has Office 365 on it. Access 2010 with its early binding code is not compatible with Office 365 components, i.e. Outlook, Excel, Word, etc.

Another alternative is to get rid of Office 365, install the old copy of Office 2010 and not get any security updates from Microsoft, leaving us vulnerable to hacking. Not a good idea?
Hi. Basically, the problem with early binding is using an "old" version to talk to a "newer" version. Early binding has no problem when a "new"version tries to talk to an "older" version.

Eljefegeneo

Still trying to learn
Local time
I decided to make a sample DB with my mail app which was the primary cause of the failure.

Code:
Dim olApp As Object
  Dim mItem As Object
  Set olApp = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")
  Set mItem = olApp.CreateItem(0)
  If Me.AttachFile = "" Or IsNull(Me.AttachFile) Then
  With mItem
      .To = CStr(Me.To)
      .CC = CStr(CC2)
      .BCC = CStr(BCC2)
      .Subject = CStr(Me.SubjectLine)
      .Body = CStr(Me.MessageBody)
      .Display    ' To show the email message to the user
  End With
  Else
  ' Add the To/Subject/Body to the message and display the message
  With mItem
      .To = CStr(Me.To)
      .CC = CStr(CC2)
      .BCC = CStr(BCC2)
      .Attachments.Add (Me.AttachFile)
  End With
  End If
  ' Release all object variables
  Set mItem = Nothing
  Set olApp = Nothing
The DB still throws off an error message on open similar to the first one but now:
Code:
MsWord.Olb Version 8.5 missing
When OK is clicked I get the get the Run Time Error and then when I click debug get the compile error.
A snaps of all this is attached as well as the references.

This all comes from the machine running Windows 10 Office 365.

Attachments

• RobinTest1.accdb
    624 KB · Views: 167
  • Error message.jpg
    Error message.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 150
  • Missing OLB.jpg
    Missing OLB.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 155
  • References.jpg
    References.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 153
  • Run time error.jpg
    Run time error.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 143

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I decided to make a sample DB with my mail app which was the primary cause of the failure.

Code:
Dim olApp As Object
  Dim mItem As Object
  Set olApp = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")
  Set mItem = olApp.CreateItem(0)
  If Me.AttachFile = "" Or IsNull(Me.AttachFile) Then
  With mItem
      .To = CStr(Me.To)
      .CC = CStr(CC2)
      .BCC = CStr(BCC2)
  End With
  Else
  ' Add the To/Subject/Body to the message and display the message
  With mItem
      .To = CStr(Me.To)
      .CC = CStr(CC2)
      .BCC = CStr(BCC2)
      .Attachments.Add (Me.AttachFile)
  End With
  End If
  ' Release all object variables
  Set mItem = Nothing
  Set olApp = Nothing
The DB still throws off an error message on open similar to the first one but now:
Code:
MsWord.Olb Version 8.5 missing
When OK is clicked I get the get the Run Time Error and then when I click debug get the compile error.
A snaps of all this is attached as well as the references.

This all comes from the machine running Windows 10 Office 365.
Hi. Your sample DB code has nothing to do with other Office products, so try unchecking the reference to the Office 14.0 Library just to see if it will make any difference.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
seems to work for me, but I didn't actually send the message. Is it possible that I didn't execute something correctly? I don't get why you seem to be using version 14 references if this is running on W10 and Access 2016. The versions should be 16?

Eljefegeneo

Still trying to learn
Local time
Sending the message has nothing to do with it. As long as it appears as an outgoing message on Outlook, it works. I am using Access 2010.

So if it works for others, what should I look for on the miscreant machine? Is it possible that the machine is the problem and not my code?

I cannot even open the database on the workstation at work.

Eljefegeneo

Still trying to learn
Local time
I meant to add, what version of Access did you test it on and what version of Outlook? It works fine for me as I am on Windows 10 but have Access 2010 and Outlook 2010. The other workstation has Windows 10, Access 2010 and the newest version of Office 365.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
I will have to see if I can fit my versions into my profile/signature or something. Sorry, I thought that info was there but I didn't check. I'm using W10 and Office 365, which I thought automatically got everyone Access 2016. I guess not.

I don't understand what you mean that sending the message has nothing to do with it. I figured that if it got that far, it means there is nothing wrong with the code or references I see. BTW, I think that for me, Access automatically updated the version 14 references you showed with version 16 references. To be honest, after 6 pages of posts, I've gotten lost on the details and would have to review the whole thread to see if I'm making any sense.

EDIT - I see that my versions are part of my signature. I guess I should allow it each time rather than turning it off for posts after number 1.

Last edited:

Eljefegeneo

Still trying to learn
Local time
I meant that once the message appear in Outlook, I was happy. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Yes, the thread and the 70 plus posts are sometimes hard to follow. Not sure what I should do next.

I have been thinking about getting a spare machine and testing out my old DB on Office 2019 with the latest version of Windows 10, complete with Access. But I am not sure that will solve the problem.

There is no early binding code that I can see in my test DB. Is there anything else that comes to mind that might be the problem? It would seem that Access 2010 and the latest version of MS Office are just not compatible.

Maybe there is a suggestion out there waiting to solve this.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Will be out of town tomorrow and it's late here now. If nobody figures it out maybe I can do a review on Saturday and see if I have anything else to offer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom