Question Mulitple Users In Access (1 Viewer)

roystreet

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 22:00
Hello -- I already have created & run an Access database for around 12 users. I now am looking to create a database that can have at least 30 users. Each one with a unique user ID & password (Using a security file ".mdw") Users log into a front end on a network environment. Now...My question...Is 30 to large of a user base for Access in a network environment??

Thanks in advance :)

roystreet

Registered User.
Local time
I guess that was a quick & straight forward answer :)
I'm looking into giving users a local copy of the front end & having a back end on a network location. But...I'm trying to figure out a way to force users to use a newer version of the local copy when I release one. Right now, the front end is in a common network location, so it's only one they log into. But if each user has their own copy of the front end locally, I want the system to check a value in a table & if it doesn't match a "Version" value on one of the forms that it shuts the system down, but of course with a message stating it's an expired version. Right now, I do something similar by forcing all users off the system when I want to perform maintenance or updates. It stops any users from logging in & those who are logged in, a timer refreshes a form checking to see if the force closed value = yes.

Thanks for your response though.

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 07:00
There are certain factors that would determine the number of users that can be logged in concurrently, but rather than repeat some of this information, here are two links:

http://blog.fmsinc.com/microsoft-access-database-scalability-how-many-users-can-it-support/

http://www.tek-tips.com/faqs.cfm?fid=4462

The first link is from Luke Cheng, a guy who's very much involved in the development of Microsoft Access itself.

The second link is fairly old but some good points were mentioned there especially with regards an ADP as opposed to an MDB/ACCDB.

I've seen an Access environment that supports well over 50 users but whether that's concurrent, I don't know.

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Broadly speaking, the two main factors that affect performance are a poorly written software and bandwidth. With most Access applications, the former is usually the case.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
rather than your users opening a front end directly on say their desktop, have them open another 'control' db on the network with code (could be autoexec macro to run vba code or perhaps all run in macro, no form required) that does the following:

note: this assumes you have your front end file name versioned (e.g. frontend v3b.accde) and you store in a network location that users have access to but not necessarily the same folder as the 'control' db

have the code do the following:
1. compare the frontend file name on the users c drive (suggest it is stored in localappdata) with the filename of the frontend on the network.

2. if they are different, code copies the network front end to the users c drive - otherwise there is nothing to do

3. code then opens the frontend on the users c drive and closes the 'control' db

You do not need to use a db to do this, you could do it in vb instead

So when you have a revision to the front end, just give it a new version number and place on the network in the right folder. The next time the user 'logs in' by running the control db, they will automatically update their front end before running it - introduces a very small delay in opening the file

the comparison just needs to be 'not the same', it does not need to be 'version on network is greater than local version' since versions should only increase anyway, but if for example you have to revert back to an earlier version for some reason 'not the same' will still work.

one other thing you can do is have some code in the front end which runs on a regular basis - rather than using a timer, I use an event on perhaps a navigation form which triggers the code. The code makse the same check on file names, and if there is a difference, it throws up a message saying something like 'an update is available, please log out and back in again' - or you could force an exit.

roystreet

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you everyone for your input, now I have some stuff to chew on!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom