Multi-Level Combo Boxes (1 Viewer)

D

dmdata

I would like to create a combo box on a form that allows a user to select a class from a category. Example: When they click on the drop down for the combo box a list of categories appear, let's say Math. Once the user highlights math an extended selection list appears, let's say algebra, calculus, trigonometry, geometry, etc. Note however that they cannot select the category, only the course. They only highlight the category to get the entended list for selection. Each category item once highlighted from the list will display it's respected items for selection. I hope this is clear.

jfi

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 23:00
I don't know if you can accomplish this with a single combo box, but I have done it with multiple combo/list boxes.

Have the first box list all the different subjects from a query that lists each subject once.

The second box gets its rowsource from a query that reads the value of the first box.

The third box, which is bound to your table, has its rowsource based on a query that reads the second box.

Clicking the first box requeries the second box.

Clicking the second box requeries the third box.

Hope that's at least somewhat helpful.

-Joshua

Jack Cowley

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 23:00
One way to do this would be to use 2 Combo boxes that are synchronized or 'cascading'. You could also do it with List boxes. Combo 1 would have Math and then Combo 2 would show only math classes. Go to Candace Tripp's web site at:
http://www.candace-tripp.com/_pages/HTML/default_HTML.asp

and download her Cascading Combos demo for a method of doing what I suggested above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom