Musk's Acquisition of Twitter Drags On (1 Viewer)

AngelSpeaks

Local time
Today, 03:50

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:50
If this is even close to true, the Twitter people were really stupid to press the issue. They should have just let Musk walk away. Of course, with their buddies the Dems in charge, they won't get prosecuted here. Perhaps in Europe though:)

AngelSpeaks

Local time
No one ever said that the Twitter people were smart. Plus when the Republicans get back in, let's hope they all have the balls that some of them have and start cleaning up the swamp. When they had control under Obama, they stripped the IRS budget because they were used to spy on the Tea Party plus other scandals. This is referred to as the IRS Targeting Scandal and then there's the IRS Star Trek Scandal.

Last edited:

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Looks to be over. But then ....... Democrat's gearing-up a political hit-job?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Interesting, diabolical even. The Democrats were not interested in stopping the acquisition. However, they are now interested in who the owners are. They don't care who owns farmland next to secret military development facilities. They don't care who owns companies that provide us with life-saving medication. They don't care who owns the companies that make the chips that make the world go round. They don't care that the Chinese have sniffing code in the software used by millions of Americans and their children. They don't care that the people who created the COVID-19 virus are buying genetic data for Americans. Hmmmm. Could that be useful to better target the next virus they create?

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Does the potential "investigation" by the Biden administration have "legs". The initial reporting of a possible investigation of Musk may have simply been a hysterical reflexive action of outrage by those on left to get Musk. Just a news blip for that one day. As of today, the potential for investigation is apparently trying to find its "legs". An obvious question, if the Biden administration is/was concerned about the national security issues, why didn't they step-in earlier to block it?

Unfortunately, the Washington Post article is behind a paywall, but it is dated today.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now that Musk has control of Twitter we may now see the Biden administration called out for "disinformation". About time. Biden has been on-a-roll spewing disinformation this week.

Last edited:

JonXL

Local time
Unfortunately, the Washington Post article is behind a paywall, but it is dated today.
From the subheadline:

Terms of the deal give large foreign investors access to confidential information about the social media platform

I thought I read earlier in the year that Saudis were shareholders in the public company. Now they are investors.

I don't see the difference. But I'm not an accountant.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
I thought I read earlier in the year that Saudis were shareholders in the public company. Now they are investors.
Should the Saudis have been shareholder, Musk would be paying them $54.20 for each share held. The Saudis can now use that money they received to invest (all or some of it) in Musk's Twitter in the form of some type of "note" that Musk would eventually be obligated to repay.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The difference is that shareholders don't have access to internal information. I don't know what the deal is with investors. They could have access but not likely. Usually, the investors will hold a promissory note rather than any operational control. Musk wouldn't give them any say in how to run the company so why would he give them access to data?

Keep in mind that companies like Twitter that offer a "free" service sell every piece of information that they capture and YOU agree to this as part of your terms of use.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 01:50
Feel kinda bad for the employees.
I do too to be honest with you but it's a very short lived feeling and then it quickly fades in favor of me realizing it was a silly make-believe job in the first place. Think about it for a second. You have a piece of software that essentially is TurnKey and runs itself. 8,000 employees to maintain it really? It was just a bunch of gen z liberal teeny-bopper progressives who valued the benefits like naps on the job and sleeping pods and mental health days and rest days and all the other stuff that doesn't involve working that the young people are looking for nowadays in an employer.

It was basically an elite social and political club where I doubt that very much work got done in the first place. Musk was right to get rid of most of them... it can't take anywhere near that many to actually run what is essentially a piece of automation.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
You always feel bad for the people who lose their jobs, especially jobs as cushy as these. I really would love a nap pod in my work place. But, Musk is running a business and that business needs to make a profit to survive or ALL the people will lose their jobs, not just some of them. Why the staff got so bloated is beyond me. The best companies I have ever worked for were the ones that were lean and mean. Every employee had a reason for being there and was a functioning member of a team so there was no dead wood as there is in most organizations. Too bad we can't make any of our government agencies lean and mean:(

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Feel kinda bad for the employees.
On an individual basis, each of these people may have families and dreams that they aspire too. So on that basis one can have sympathy for them. Nevertheless, back in the real world, these individuals (as an organized group) were attempting to figuratively "kill" you (conservatives). Clearly they don't seem (as group) to have any sympathy for the adverse emotional and business distresses they have been causing. Not to also mention they they were unethically manipulating the political process through censorship and disinformation. We like to believe that two "wrong" don't make a right, but as a basic human emotion. why have any sympathy for someone who is out to "get you"?

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
On an individual basis, each of these people may have families and dreams that they aspire too. So on that basis one can have sympathy for them. Nevertheless, back in the real world, these individuals (as an organized group) were attempting to figuratively "kill" you (conservatives). Clearly they don't seem (as group) to have any sympathy for the adverse emotional and business distresses they have been causing. Not to also mention they they were unethically manipulating the political process through censorship and disinformation. We like to believe that two "wrong" don't make a right, but as a basic human emotion. why have any sympathy for someone who is out to "get you"?
When I was younger I worked in the collection industry and we got laid off about once every year from some company or another. I learned it really wasn't that big of a deal.. in two weeks later I had my next job. Never in my life have I been laid off with THREE whole MONTHS of FREE PAY to do whatever I wanted with, although I've been laid off many times. In fact I can't even imagine the Good Fortune I would feel right now if I were to be laid off tomorrow morning with 3 months worth of a paycheck coming to me for free. So no I can't really say I feel sympathy, I don't see what they're going through as something difficult. Just wake up and get another job! There's far more jobs right now in this country than there are people willing to work so it's certainly not a hard proposition.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
lol
Nov 6 (Reuters) - After Twitter Inc laid off roughly half its staff on Friday following Elon Musk's $44 billion acquisition, the company is now reaching out to dozens of employees who lost their jobs and asking them to return, Bloomberg News reported on Sunday.

Some of those who are being asked to return were laid off by mistake. Others were let go before management realized that their work and experience may be necessary to build the new features Musk envisions, the report said citing people familiar with the moves.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
The usual lay-too-many-then-call-some-back-routine.

I think it's often actually planned. The original layoff organizers have in their best interest to make the layoff seem as fair and generalized as possible. But really, they have in their mind 5% that they are calling back - and who knows, that 5% may even catch wind of it, or maybe not, the point's the same.

Last edited:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Think sabotage. Could be the people who built the lay-off list decided to damage the company or were they just plain stupid?

@moke123 Elon didn't pick the people to layoff. He relied on other people to determine who should stay and who should go. I'd say that the people responsible for adding the recall names to the layoff list should get pink slips themselves or be fired for cause rather than get bennies and be laid off.

You can't allow the saboteurs to skate.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
1667871831960.png

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Think sabotage. Could be the people who built the lay-off list decided to damage the company or were they just plain stupid?

@moke123 Elon didn't pick the people to layoff. He relied on other people to determine who should stay and who should go. I'd say that the people responsible for adding the recall names to the layoff list should get pink slips themselves or be fired for cause rather than get bennies and be laid off.

You can't allow the saboteurs to skate.
see my edited

Anyway Twitter was planning layoffs for a long time - it's not just Elon, it's just Elon who moves fast and without all the mushy-mushy.
Facebook just laid off a ton of people too.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
So how's Elon's twitter thing going?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom