My .accde file will not open for users that could open it before. Getting 32-bit error message. (1 Viewer)

Local time
Today, 03:56
I've all but finished working on this database and have rolled out the front end to a couple of users. They have been able to open the files no problem until this week. I rolled out a new version and now they are getting this error...

"This database was created with the 32-bit version of Microsoft Access. Please open it with the 32-bit version of Microsoft Access."

I've done some searching on the interwebs for a solution, but they all say that perhaps the users are running a 64-bit system. This is not the case here. I've called our IT guy and he assures me that the other users were installed with a 32-bit office system (recent install). We did not have access prior to this and when I started here they were interested in a database (i have a little access experience), so when I asked IT to upgrade some systems with Access, he installed Access 2019 Pro, 32-bit.

Why, if I've developed this database on 32-bit, are the other 32-bit users getting this message?? I'm baffled.

Tammy

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 09:56
Personally I would like to see that for myself?

Ask a user to send a pic of the About screen.

Local time
For god sake. Just got off the phone with IT. He made a mistake in telling me they were on 32-bit (i went and physically checked)......I'm now going to murder my IT guy.

Sigh

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:56
Hi Tammy. They must have just updated the app this week, if it used to work, I mean. It might be better if you could ask them to revert the update back to a 32-bit version.

Local time
Thanks DBguy. I've just sent off some screen shots to him and have put the ball in his court. Frustrating.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
For god sake. Just got off the phone with IT. He made a mistake in telling me they were on 32-bit (i went and physically checked)......I'm now going to murder my IT guy.

Sigh
At least you got to the bottom of it? :)

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 02:56
Consider both questions - and the answer to each: 32/64 bit computer, 32/64 bit Office install.

Two totally different things. Perhaps that is what got lost in translation with your q&a between you and I.T...

Just mentioning this to avoid a
;)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:56
The only catch here is if the IT group installed 64-bit Office because someone actually needed 64-bit Excel. There is no other Office component I know that can use the extra addressing space implied by going to 64-bit versions. Excel/64 CAN use it, but that represents an extraordinarily large worksheet/workbook. IIRC, EXCEL/64 can get up to a million rows. That's a lot of rows.

- Access/64 does not gain anything by going to 64-bit (and it loses compatibility with any 32-bit apps) unless you do a LOT of adjustments.
- Word/64 might get that big, but usually wouldn't benefit that much because you would need a document that grew to over 2 GB - which is a LOT of text. I think Encyclopedia Britannica would fit in that much space, as Britannica has only about 40 million words in it. (Of course, the embedded graphics might take it over the top.)
- PowerPoint/64 presentations won't get that big very easily, either. They usually have LESS text than ordinary documents and the backgrounds are often just a template or theme that gets linked rather than copied. I just don't see PP getting any use out of 64-bit format.
- Outlook never gets that big even though the mail files (.PST files) can get quite big. But I think a mailing list big enough to need 64-bit addressing for Outlook would probably cover the entire USA - not every household but every PERSON. So it never gets that big.

Therefore, if your IT people are still confused, ask them WHY they went 64-bit on you. The above should be enough ammunition unless you actually have an EXCEL/64 user somewhere.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I imagine they installed the default. I thought the recommendation used to be to install 32bit office, but I suspect, the recommendation will eventually be 64 bit, if it isn't already.

Local time
Turns out I'm the only one with a 32-bit install. IT is supposed to be coming to fix this, but haven't seen hide nor hair of him yet......

Thanks for the ammo The_Doc_Man!!! If I ever see him again I'll be sure to use it ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom